• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar becomes ODI top scorer!!!

Cruxdude

International Debutant
He also mentioned being unlucky with the toss. Isn't winning the toss and bowling the way to go in Indian day nighters..

Sir Alex

Banned
Can't wait to watch the full inning brother. The shots he was manufacturing for fours were out of this world. For every shot Tendulkar had 10 years ago, he has 3 now.
The pick of them was the flick off Dale Steyn. He picked the overpitched delivery about 1 foot outside off stump by combining superb footwork (moving across) and quicksilver wrists and smoked it to deep midwicket. That exemplified Tendulkar was at peace with the surroundings and he was in his zone.

Sir Alex

Banned
He also mentioned being unlucky with the toss. Isn't winning the toss and bowling the way to go in Indian day nighters..
Kallis' looked like a laboured effort at the presentation. Perhaps he was just down from the sheer effect of the defeat. Earlier when he captained against India, Tendulkar was the spoilsport (Belfast series, 2007) with consecutive 99s. And he was involved in a quite animated mid pitch confrontation with Tendulkar (as usual the next delivery was despatched over midwicket for four).

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The pick of them was the flick off Dale Steyn. He picked the overpitched delivery about 1 foot outside off stump by combining superb footwork (moving across) and quicksilver wrists and smoked it to deep midwicket. That exemplified Tendulkar was at peace with the surroundings and he was in his zone.
Steyn's look after that delivery and specially after when he was dispatched for a four to midwicket of a yorker was priceless.(tendulkar went deep into the crease to make the yorker a overpitched half volley)

He was like "What am i up against?"

Sir Alex

Banned
Steyn's look after that delivery and specially after when he was dispatched for a four to midwicket of a yorker was priceless.(tendulkar went deep into the crease to make the yorker a overpitched half volley)

He was like "What am i up against?"
Haha true indeed.

Another feature of this innings was till he got set, it was the orthodox Sachin, minimal lateral movements and trademark cuts, drives, flicks and the occassional pulls. But once he got really going, he really started improvising by moving across the stumps and finding the gaps on the leg side off the pacers. The absence of pace on the pitch meant there were not many strokes down the ground unless he really forced himself upon it. Against the spinners it was mainly inside out strokes and loft sweeps which has been his style over the last 3 years as attacking options.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
what an innings, he deserves this, but honestly given the pitch and the incredibly fast outfield, if Sehwag had gone on or Dhoni had opened the innings.... can a man score 250 in ODIs?

funnygirl

State Regular
Haha true indeed.

Another feature of this innings was till he got set, it was the orthodox Sachin, minimal lateral movements and trademark cuts, drives, flicks and the occassional pulls. But once he got really going, he really started improvising by moving across the stumps and finding the gaps on the leg side off the pacers. The absence of pace on the pitch meant there were not many strokes down the ground unless he really forced himself upon it. Against the spinners it was mainly inside out strokes and loft sweeps which has been his style over the last 3 years as attacking options.
Yes he never goes all aggressive still able to keep a good strike rate with proper cricket shots.

Sir Alex

Banned
what an innings, he deserves this, but honestly given the pitch and the incredibly fast outfield, if Sehwag had gone on or Dhoni had opened the innings.... can a man score 250 in ODIs?
It wasn't the flattest pitch. It wasn't the smallest ground either.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
It wasn't the flattest pitch. It wasn't the smallest ground either.
I watched the great innings live, the outfield was probably in my top 5 of the quickest I have ever seen, and I dont recall many pitches being better for batting. Some pitches are flat but slow but this one was flat and the ball was coming onto the bat at perfect pace. I dont think the ground was bigger than the one in Chennai. Great innings though, better than any other knock surpassing 150 easily by a mile.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disappointing no one's yet raised the obvious - that Ponting would have scored a few more, slightly quicker and that it was a featherbed, attack was poor etc etc.

Kudos to Tendulkar. Hard to imagine a player more worthy of that record than he. Arguably the greatest ODI batsman of all time, certainly the most prolific, and a wonderful, wonderful achievement.

If Foxtel doesn't run a specific highlights package of this over the next few days, will be filthy tbh.

ret

International Debutant
Many of us suspected that one of these days either Tendulkar or Sehwag was going to touch 200 in ODIs and I am glad that it happened today. And who else than Tendulkar did that. If there is one player who deserves to win the ODI WC then it's Tendulkar. I hope that team Ind does it for him in 2011

Tendulkar :notworthy

ret

International Debutant
what a tribute this is by Gavaskar

New Delhi: Sunil Gavaskar, bowing down to the remarkable double century smashed by Sachin Tendulkar on Tuesday, said he would like to touch the 36-year-old's feet.

Tendulkar cracked an unbeaten 200 against South Africa in Gwalior to become the first batsman in ODIs to hit a double hundred.

"Who else has 93 international hundreds, who else has more than 14,000 ODI runs, who else has more than 17, 000 Test runs? Nobody. I would really like to bend down and touch his feet. If somebody is at that pedestal, I would like to do that," Gavaskar told CNN-IBN.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Gotta feel bad for young Charles Coventry.

But seriously, I'm so pleased for Sachin, what a man.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He has 31,000 international runs, if he can get to 35,000ish, do you guys think that record would be broken anytime soon? Who is the next closest?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Just checked - Ponting is the next closest, 6000 runs behind. Then there's Lara who is not going to add to his tally obviously, but then come Dravid and Kallis - both of whom are 10,000 runs behind and are not going to catch up.

So no one active really has a shot besides Ponting. Ponting would have to play for - say 5 years longer than Sachin? I don't think that'll happen since Sachin will go on until at least the WC, and I doubt Ponting will stick around till 2015 - though maybe he's aiming for the 2014 Ashes and may have an outside shot.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched the higlights, just wonderfull, how could you not love him?

Dhoni is just brutal, will never by my favourite to watch but still fairly amazing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just checked - Ponting is the next closest, 6000 runs behind. Then there's Lara who is not going to add to his tally obviously, but then come Dravid and Kallis - both of whom are 10,000 runs behind and are not going to catch up.

So no one active really has a shot besides Ponting. Ponting would have to play for - say 5 years longer than Sachin? I don't think that'll happen since Sachin will go on until at least the WC, and I doubt Ponting will stick around till 2015 - though maybe he's aiming for the 2014 Ashes and may have an outside shot.
Also depends if Ponting's double ton against Pakistan was him coming out of a form slump or just a blip in his decline.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also depends if Ponting's double ton against Pakistan was him coming out of a form slump or just a blip in his decline.
Sachin is not going anywhere, I know he is in great form at the moment and that may cloud my judgement but I any many others think that he could play at a very good level until he is 40. I fully expect Ponting to score heavily again (although not at the ludicrious levle he did for a while) but can see both retiring about the same age.