• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendency to quote freak stats out of context !!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well last time I looked, James had put a lot of time and money into the site, so whatever his opinion is, it is to be respected and accepted.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
what about Ian Bell, clearly the best ever ODI bowler, Ave 3.00 SR 7.33 ER 2.45.

Lets not forget that great Test allrounder A Mcgrath, batting at 40.2 and bowling at 14.00

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Son Of Coco said:
That's very deep!

Also, if someone gets lucky in a forest, but noone was there to see it, did they really get lucky at all? (go the double entendre!) :D
I've never seen someone use the same phrase in so many different ways.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
So Botham isnt an all-time great because he failed consistently against the West Indies.
2 things
1) botham is an all rounder, if he were picked only as a batsman he wouldnt be an all time great
2) botham has succeeded in several games with the ball, and while he was poor with the bat against them he still didnt manage to disgrace himself and averaged over 20.

social said:
And Murali has had a chance to rectify his record in Australia. Unfortunately, he's chosen not to tour.
so?
refusing not to tour doesnt in anyway diminish his skills as a bowler.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Stupid statement.

Ponting was totally insipid against spin early in his career but has now reached the stage where he is as good as anyone (yes, you read correctly).

He's dominated virtually every spinner in almost every condition including Murali in Sri Lanka. Unfortunately, his record in India will always lead some people to claim that he can't play spin.
yes dominated SL bowlers with his mighty average of 33 :laugh:
and if he got better against spin then perhaps you'd like to explain how he managed to score prolifically in SL in 99 and then even the tailenders were batting better than him in india in 01?

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Botham took 19 wickets @ 35 in '84.

Overall, he averaged 20 with the bat and 35 with ball against the WI.

Hardly cause for celebration.
how many times do i have to say it, it might be poor but its not disgraceful.
if he were averaging 10 with the bat and 75 with the ball then we'd have an argument.

social

tooextracool said:
yes dominated SL bowlers with his mighty average of 33 :laugh:
and if he got better against spin then perhaps you'd like to explain how he managed to score prolifically in SL in 99 and then even the tailenders were batting better than him in india in 01?
Ah, he averages over 50 against SL in SL.

Dont tell me that this is yet another example of you taking selective statistics and trying in vain to make a sweeping generalisation out of them :p

In reference to India, he was out of form, get over it.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Ah, he averages over 50 against SL in SL..
which is largely because of his performance there in 99. which again doesnt show anything about him improving into one of the best players of spin, it shows that hes gotten worse.

social said:
Dont tell me that this is yet another example of you taking selective statistics and trying in vain to make a sweeping generalisation out of them :p

In reference to India, he was out of form, get over it.
he was out of form in all 4 series is it?
absolute tripe that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
absolute tripe that.
Well he was clearly not in great form for both of the last two series, and only played one test in the most recent one anyway. Hopefully he will get the chance to tour again before the end of his career.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
absolute tripe that.
So is this '4 series' rubbish; one of them was an 'only Test' series which literally isn't a series at all and in the fourth series Ponting only played the final Test. Realistically, Ponting has played two full series against India away from home, both of which he's struggled greatly.

Saying he's failed over four series is right up there with the plonkers who say that Merv Hughes got his hat-trick over 'two innings and three overs'. What they fail to mention is that he got the first wicket on the last ball of one over, finished off the innings with the first ball of the next over and then got a wicket first ball of his first over in the second dig. Yes, technically, it was within three separate overs but it was certainly NOT done over three overs. It would be far less misleading to say that Ponting has failed over 'two series and two Tests'.

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
So is this '4 series' rubbish; one of them was an 'only Test' series which literally isn't a series at all and in the fourth series Ponting only played the final Test. Realistically, Ponting has played two full series against India away from home, both of which he's struggled greatly.

Saying he's failed over four series is right up there with the plonkers who say that Merv Hughes got his hat-trick over 'two innings and three overs'. What they fail to mention is that he got the first wicket on the last ball of one over, finished off the innings with the first ball of the next over and then got a wicket first ball of his first over in the second dig. Yes, technically, it was within three separate overs but it was certainly NOT done over three overs. It would be far less misleading to say that Ponting has failed over 'two series and two Tests'.
you do realise what the point of the 4 series was dont you? the point is that he played in india at 4 different times of his career. if hed played 12 games spread over 2 series, then there might be a claim that he was out of form in both series. but to say that he was out of form during all 4 of those periods in his career is absolute rubbish. hes failed, because he wasnt good enough, simple as that.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well he was clearly not in great form for both of the last two series, and only played one test in the most recent one anyway. Hopefully he will get the chance to tour again before the end of his career.
ok i certainly wont argue that he was out of form during the recent series. but surely you cant be serious about him being out of form in 01? especially when he scored a 100 in both innings against the board presidents XI in the warm up game in between the 1st and 2nd test 8-)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
but to say that he was out of form during all 4 of those periods in his career is absolute rubbish. hes failed, because he wasnt good enough, simple as that.
I didn't claim he was out of form for all four of those periods. :) I don't think he was good enough but I also have confidence, like you in Murali and Australia, that when he next plays India at home (if given the opportunity by scheduling), he'll do well. I also believe that, like Murali and Australia, Ponting's status as an eventual great shouldn't hinge on his next series against a team which he's failed against.

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
I didn't claim he was out of form for all four of those periods. :) I don't think he was good enough but I also have confidence, like you in Murali and Australia, that when he next plays India at home (if given the opportunity by scheduling), he'll do well. I also believe that, like Murali and Australia, Ponting's status as an eventual great shouldn't hinge on his next series against a team which he's failed against.
ok i wont say that hes not going to succeed if he tours there again. you can almost guarantee that hes going to go through extensive practice against before the next series, so he might just improve.
nonetheless the situation with murali and ponting is completely different. ponting is a proven failure in india. murali is not. so in other words, ponting needs to succeed when he tours india next time. murali needs to not fail disgracefully for him to retain his status.

social

tooextracool said:
ok i certainly wont argue that he was out of form during the recent series. but surely you cant be serious about him being out of form in 01? especially when he scored a 100 in both innings against the board presidents XI in the warm up game in between the 1st and 2nd test 8-)
Huh?

So youre saying that one of the best batsmen in the world failed in all innings of a series despite being in form?

Cant fault that logic! 8-)

social

tooextracool said:
which is largely because of his performance there in 99. which again doesnt show anything about him improving into one of the best players of spin, it shows that hes gotten worse.
QUOTE]

Einstein, that why its called an "average" because its the "average" of ALL your innings.

And BTW, the spinners werent responsible for the average of 33. As often as not, Ponting got himself out trying to force the pace against the seamers.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Huh?

So youre saying that one of the best batsmen in the world failed in all innings of a series despite being in form?

Cant fault that logic! 8-)
sherlock, if you are in form and you fail, it suggests that you're not good enough.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Einstein, that why its called an "average" because its the "average" of ALL your innings.
so what? you claimed that he got better against spin, where is the evidence of that? if anything hes gotten worse.

social said:
And BTW, the spinners werent responsible for the average of 33. As often as not, Ponting got himself out trying to force the pace against the seamers.
spinners got him out twice. and averaging 33 doesnt say that he succeeded against spin either.