• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the Year 2019

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I wanted more of a batting allrounder for that spot and so went with Stokes. Holder is great though. But I do feel overall, Stokes is the better all-round package.
Over the course of their careers I'd agree with the latter part not so sure this year that is the case though given the stats. Could make a case for Holder in as a bowler or all-rounder (not that I think he quite makes it as 1 of 3 bowlers) whereas not so much the case with Stokes. However, I think at the end of their careers Stokes will end up being the better player. But yeah think the balance you want within the side is so key when setting these sides - I personally quite like 2 spinners if you can get a genuine bowler who can bat decently e.g. Holder/Curran but as someone alluded to before not many spinners have had brilliant years it seems.

ataraxia

International Coach
This is what's annoying about making yearly World XIs; some players can have ridiculous averages in one discipline or another like Holder's or Jadeja's batting averages. Given that the teams have to be based around that year alone it doesn't really give you much option.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just for fun

Kookabura Balls XI:

1. Warner
2. Latham
3. Marnus
4. Kane
5.* Root
6. Head
7. Watling
8. Lyon
9. Cummins
10. Starc
11. Wagner

Dukes ball XI:

1. John Campbell
2. Rory Burns
3. Virat
4. Steve Smith
5. Ben Stokes
6. Roston Chase
7. Dowrich
8. Holder
9. Roach
10. Shami
11. Bumrah

SG Balls XI

1. Rohit
2. Mayank
3. Elgar
4. Mushfiqur
5. Rahane
6. Jadeja
7. Ashwin
8. Maharaj
9. Umesh
10. Ishant
11. Abu Jayed

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Any team with the trust fund kid as captain is something I cannot take seriously. Maharaj pretty lucky too on account of being somewhat underwhelming in India

vcs

Just for fun

Kookabura Balls XI:

1. Warner
2. Latham
3. Marnus
4. Kane
5.* Root
6. Head
7. Watling
8. Lyon
9. Cummins
10. Starc
11. Wagner

Dukes ball XI:

1. John Campbell
2. Rory Burns
3. Virat
4. Steve Smith
5. Ben Stokes
6. Roston Chase
7. Dowrich
8. Holder
9. Roach
10. Shami
11. Bumrah

SG Balls XI

1. Rohit
2. Mayank
3. Elgar
4. Mushfiqur
5. Rahane
6. Jadeja
7. Ashwin
8. Maharaj
9. Umesh
10. Ishant
11. Abu Jayed
Babar instead of Root

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Stokes has played 11 Tests to Holder's 5 - tough choice between the 2 - easier to impress over 5 Tests then 11 but that isn't exactly Holder's fault that West Indies play fewer Tests and if going solely on aggregate of runs/wickets its not much of a World XI as about half the Test playing nations will play so few Tests you'd have to be doing crazily good to be up there. Holder averages 49 with the bat to Stokes 46 this year and Holder averages 17 with the ball to Stokes 35. On that basis I'd probably just about go Holder, I think he's good enough to bat at 7 and then gives you the option of 4 seamers or 2 spinners - but a close one and probably depends on if you want a bowling or batting all-rounder.
It’s not a tough choice when the vacant spot is for a batsman and only one of the 2 is a top order batsmen though. Holder is a front line bowler so has to compete for one of those spots.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It’s not a tough choice when the vacant spot is for a batsman and only one of the 2 is a top order batsmen though. Holder is a front line bowler so has to compete for one of those spots.
Considering how frail the WI top order is though he is usually in as early as if he was batting higher though. It's certainly nowhere near as unreasonable as you are suggesting, shows a profound lack of knowledge about Caribbean cricket on your behalf

Daemon

You could play hurricanes team (or a similar variant) though and then Stokes is competing with Babar for a slot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Considering how frail the WI top order is though he is usually in as early as if he was batting higher though. It's certainly nowhere near as unreasonable as you are suggesting, shows a profound lack of knowledge about Caribbean cricket on your behalf
He had one innings over 40 in the whole year and in that innings he effectively came in at 320-6. That is not better than Stokes by any stretch of the imagination.

Burgey

The problem I have with the record of all of the players in these teams of 2019 is none of them faced Marshall or McGrath.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Effectively because they were 200+ ahead on first innings.

Notice you brush over the fact that that was his only innings above 40 all year...
That's just absolutely terrible logic, considering how the top order had went and how the pitch was playing, to try and say he was downhill skiing is ignorant in the extreme. The only real reason the West Indies seemed to be in a good position was your lot batting like rock apes in the first innings

And as for your second point, 8 innings to 21, and mostly in less friendly batting conditions. As has been pointed out to you many times all English cricketers benefit somewhat from the sheer volume of Test cricket they play compared to the rest of the world.

Although that being said I do believe Stokes is a marginally better batsman, but Holder definitely a better cricketer overall on account of his easily superior bowling

Daemon

Stokes is definitely the superior batsman and definitely did better with the bat compared to Holder this year. I don't think that's really up for debate.

But to me having a guy who averaged 17 with the ball who can score a ton from 8 just adds more value than Stokes, who can be replaced with Babar for marginally better batting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its also about the balance though. Stokes is more of a batting allrounder while I still think Holder is more of a bowling allrounder. If you are looking for a top 6 spot, its better to go with the batting allrounder is what I feel. So many of the middle order bats have done so well that it is almost tempting to have KW open to make room for a stronger middle order.

EDIT: Nvm. Was posting the team of the decade. My bad.