• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the Year 2019

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Admittedly still two Tests in play, but one looks done and the other looks reasonably clear-cut too.

1. Mayank Agarwal
2. Tom Latham
3. Marnus Labuschagne
4. Steve Smith
5. Babar Azam
6. Ben Stokes
7. BJ Watling
8. Pat Cummins
9. Neil Wagner
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Mohammed Shami

Openers - those two the definite standouts IMO. Warner and Rohit only really scored runs in one series.

Middle order - Marnus, Smith and Stokes locks. Watling the easy option for the keeper too. #5 was close between Azam, Rahane and Kohli, I went Babar as he did it in a weaker batting lineup.

Seam bowlers - lots of good options here. I think Cummins and Wagner are locks. 3rd spot close between Starc and the Indian quicks (HM to guys like Roach, Holder, Hazlewood) but I think an Indian bowler had to be there and Shami was the pick of them.

Spin bowlers - no idea, all of them were pretty average this year. Rashid Khan's wickets came against poor batting lineups; meanwhile Ashwin and Jadeja only really did it in friendly conditions. So I guess Lyon on number of wickets, even if at times this year he was kinda meh. If Stokes didn't exist I'd probably just pick 4 quicks....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yep.. neither were that impressive for me. Babar had a good year but his innings did not make enough a difference for me to put him over other contenders. And Stokes has been batting at 5 often enough for England for us to stick him there, bump Watling to 6 and Jadeja to 7. Labu can be the second spinner.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I will play Stokes at 5 and Jadeja at 6/7 and get in one more quick. Maybe Roach or Starc?
You've copped a few controversial bans over the last couple of years but don't underestimate my determination to ban you again for trying to pick five seamers in a side. Especially a side like this.

Get out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dan can we add a first ammendment to the rules you re-wrote to let me ban people for picking five quicks?

I'm happy to ban Joe Root, Virat Kohli and Faf du Plessis if they join.

TheJediBrah

yep.. neither were that impressive for me. Babar had a good year but his innings did not make enough a difference for me to put him over other contenders. And Stokes has been batting at 5 often enough for England for us to stick him there, bump Watling to 6 and Jadeja to 7. Labu can be the second spinner.
I can see where you're going but doesn't really make sense.

If you're playing outside Asia then Jadeja isn't really in the mix, and if you're playing in Asia then you'd probably want a 2nd spinner with Jadeja anyway (not Labu). And you definitely don't need 5 seamers in Asia. In no scenario is Jadeja as the lone spinner the call. If you want him in there it would be in Asia, and you'd replace one of the quicks, probably Wagner. Or replace Babar and move Stokes and Watling up a spot.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Dan can we add a first ammendment to the rules you re-wrote to let me ban people for picking five quicks?

I'm happy to ban Joe Root, Virat Kohli and Faf du Plessis if they join.
Be quiet, we weren't going to announce that ffs.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Spinner choice is tricky. No one did too well this year. I would Ashwin in place of Lyon because former at least found some form in home season although wasn't even picked in WI.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You've copped a few controversial bans over the last couple of years but don't underestimate my determination to ban you again for trying to pick five seamers in a side. Especially a side like this.

Get out.

While it will be just as ridiculous as every other ban of mine, we SHALT PLAY FIVE QUICKS.

And I am still hoping Australia play the quartet one day, just to see your melt down posts. :laugh:

And Wade shall be the 5th seamer.

vcs

Ashwin was better than Lyon this year. Bowled very well against SA and Bangladesh, without always getting the rewards for it. Had something like five fairly easy catches dropped in a session off him against Bangladesh, it was ridiculous.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I really liked MorgieB's team except for the Lyon selection. Other than being plain average without being atrocious or tremendous anywhere how exactly he merits selection in every team chosen, not just this year, but the whole decade as well ? Earlier in the year, when his team really wanted him to turn up against India, it turned out to be a bit of a non show.

On the other hand, Jadeja averages 63 with the bat this year and 35(same as Lyon) with the ball. Also remember some gun throws from the deep which effected some run outs. A no brainer really.