• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the Year 2016

listento_me

U19 Captain
Yeah, he's not that outrageous a selection.

No idea how Steyn us in the XI though? How many Tests has he played in this period? 2?
He's played 3 tests and over the last few years has looked like an injury waiting to happen...and it happens lol His inclusion for 2016 is ridiculous.

Also, as much as I like Williamson, he gets in above Kohli, Smith, Pujara, even Ali...like what? Plus how does Cook take the captaincy spot? Surely that should go to Misbah or Kohli for 2016?

I won't say much about the spinners.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Just had a look at the time period, how has Steyn been included on the basis of just 4 tests?

Btw the period is 14 Sept 2015 to 20 Sept 2016. A bit of a weird one but that's that, considering there are a number of tests cut out for a number of players.

Edit: In the period mentioned, Azhar Ali averaged well over 50, has a double ton and been part of a more successful test side than Australia and England yet Cook who averages less and has one less century makes it in? I can understand Warner, as he probably has the most opening tonnes of the lot but...c'mon.

The ICC is making itself seem more and more like a joke. FIFA is corrupt as hell but at least their awards make sense.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
what's the period? cos if we're talking just 2016, KOhli avgs 75. However I've just remembered I think the period is probably something like May April last year to May/April this year?
It's September last year to September this year. Kohli didn't get epic until that double against New Zealand.

morgieb

I had that in my head that it was in March 2015ish for some reason.

Which makes Steyn's inclusion even more baffling.
Yeah, Steyn is clearly the worst inclusion there given he only played 4 Tests in that period. Anderson would make that side look a lot better.

Reckon Smith > Voges/Root, but I can see arguments either way. Stokes wasn't that special in the period, but he was probably still the best all-rounder.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But why do you need a panel to select if its going to be by just numbers? Either way Steyn and Voges both bad selections and I say that as someone who rates Steyn the 2nd greatest fast bowler he has ever seen.

flibbertyjibber

Why announce it now instead of October when the criteria to qualify ends?

Looks a bit daft now naming a side for the year without Kohli who has just had a Bradmanesque run and picking Cook who looks lost even if it probably is correct. Just another example of the cricket authorities not really helping themselves.

OverratedSanity

Looks a bit daft now naming a side for the year without Kohli who has just had a Bradmanesque run and picking Cook who looks lost even if it probably is correct. Just another example of the cricket authorities not really helping themselves.
Yeah it's so stupid. Announcing it now makes it seem like it's the whole year they're considering.

Howe_zat

Audio File

Yeah it just looks completely out of date.

Given that the stars of the English summer (Woakes, Anderson, Yasir, Misbah) have all been left out it looks like a team of the 2015-16 season.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Just had a look at the time period, how has Steyn been included on the basis of just 4 tests?

Btw the period is 14 Sept 2015 to 20 Sept 2016. A bit of a weird one but that's that, considering there are a number of tests cut out for a number of players.

Edit: In the period mentioned, Azhar Ali averaged well over 50, has a double ton and been part of a more successful test side than Australia and England yet Cook who averages less and has one less century makes it in? I can understand Warner, as he probably has the most opening tonnes of the lot but...c'mon.

The ICC is making itself seem more and more like a joke. FIFA is corrupt as hell but at least their awards make sense.
In that period Azhar Ali averaged 36 and cook 55. Warner 56.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Spark

Global Moderator
It is a ridiculous period though. It's blatantly unfair to define a period in which England plays 14 Tests and Pakistan 7. There's little wonder that the exercised happened to pick basically every England player that a case could be made for; they played substantially more than anyone else.

Spark

Global Moderator
Rahane averaging 73 a bit hard done by to not even be in the conversation?
I think picking a bloke who only scored 500 runs in the period would have ended any pretensions this had to being a serious exercise tbh.

In that sense Azhar Ali might have well not have been eligible at all; bloke only played 5 Tests during that time.

Last edited: