• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Target 300. Day 5 square turning pitch. All spin attack. Pick your top 6

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar has a great 4th innings record. That 221 gets him into my team along with Hayden. Younis and Lara walk in too. The other 2 could be insert X ATG middle order batsman, really.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar's 221 wasn't on a turning pitch. Just an oval flat track. Thorpe's worth a mention,even if he doesn't make the final cut.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If we go back further than the 2000s, I'd say the Australians would be:

Trumper
Morris
Bradman
Harvey
Ian Chappell
Walters

From all accounts Trumper was the absolute king of the dodgy wicket, and Harvey came to the fore when things weren't easy also. Bradman and Morris chased down a total like this, one of the best chases ever. Ian Chappell and Walters both noted players of spin with the will to chase the win.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I need chanderpaul and Sarwan there just because they scored centuries in the 4th innings in pursuit of 418.
Carl Hooper gets in there

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
From all accounts Trumper was the absolute king of the dodgy wicket, and Harvey came to the fore when things weren't easy also. Bradman and Morris chased down a total like this, one of the best chases ever. Ian Chappell and Walters both noted players of spin with the will to chase the win.
I couldn't agree with having Doug Walters. When his team batted 4th, Doug averaged 26.58 compared with his 64.88 when batting first. Also, when playing in India and England - two countries where turning wickets are common - he averaged just 28.63

Spark

Global Moderator
I know he wasn't known for his proficiency against spin, but come on. If it's a chase of any sort, Graeme Smith is one of the first picked. Test chases are as much psychological battles as technical battles for both sides and Smith has that absolutely sorted.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I know he wasn't known for his proficiency against spin, but come on. If it's a chase of any sort, Graeme Smith is one of the first picked. Test chases are as much psychological battles as technical battles for both sides and Smith has that absolutely sorted.
I didnt see much of Smith outside of the tests he played in Australia, but his record against Aus, SL and Ind (who all had spinners of note during Smith's time) suggests he isn't necessarily the man for the job here.

subshakerz

International Coach
My main criteria are that they have to great players of spin but also counterattacking, otherwise there is no way they would win in this situation. This is why I excluded Gavaskar. Sidhu is pretty much the best counterattacking player of spin I have seen.

Lara, Younis Khan and Laxman are all worldclass players of spin who are known for great performances in a chase. They deserve to be in.

Not sure why people are picking Sachin. This type of situation is not one in which he thrives. Not sure why anyone hasn't considered Kevin Peitersen but I think he would thrive in this situation.

I would go for:

Sehwag
Sidhu
Lara
Pietersen
Younis Khan
Laxman

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Strange for a South African to ace this.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
My main criteria are that they have to great players of spin but also counterattacking, otherwise there is no way they would win in this situation. This is why I excluded Gavaskar. Sidhu is pretty much the best counterattacking player of spin I have seen.

Lara, Younis Khan and Laxman are all worldclass players of spin who are known for great performances in a chase. They deserve to be in.

Not sure why people are picking Sachin. This type of situation is not one in which he thrives. Not sure why anyone hasn't considered Kevin Peitersen but I think he would thrive in this situation.

I would go for:

Sehwag
Sidhu
Lara
Pietersen
Younis Khan
Laxman
I think the OP considered him.