• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Superior Bowler: Vaas or Gillespie?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Vaas in top form can bowl everything, on good lines, to an exceptional level.
Gillespie can merely bowl most things, on good lines, to a pretty good level.
I think it the other way around, because looking back at a few series where Gillespie has been in top form (India 2004, WI 2000/2003) he outperformed the great McGrath, i dont think any series Vaas has played in he has managed to do that.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I feel that although both are good bowlers Vaas is better because of the circumstances uder which he has played. Most of his career has been on the spin friendly wickets in Sri Lanka where he has been overshadowed by Murali. He lacks pace which some would say is needed on those wickets but his variety makes up for it. Gillespie has been a fantastic bowler for Australia but i feel he has been successful due to the success of the team. Vaas has been the only consistent seam bowler Sri Lanka has ever produced and has been the backbone of the attack whereas Gillespie has always been in the company of Lee and Mcgrath who make up for his lean patches in form.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
But the conditions which favour Vaas are not green seamers, but dry, turning, slow pitches.

Gillespie has generally been more economical of late than earlier in his career.

Gillespie is easily the best bet on an absolute green-top.
Totally disagree that Dizzy is better on a green top. Look at their respective records in NZ, Vaas has taken his wickets there @ a fraction under 22 (shaving 7 runs a wicket off his career figure) & Dizzy bowled rather averagely in his only series over there (7 wickets @ 45-ish).

If you look at Vaas in India his record there is appalling & Indian wickets define "dry, turning, slow pitches". Gillespie, conversely, has thrived there.

As for Gillespie being more economical of late, it rather depends what you mean by "of late". He's been pretty rank over here.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Run like Inzy said:
I feel that although both are good bowlers Vaas is better because of the circumstances uder which he has played. Most of his career has been on the spin friendly wickets in Sri Lanka where he has been overshadowed by Murali. He lacks pace which some would say is needed on those wickets but his variety makes up for it. Gillespie has been a fantastic bowler for Australia but i feel he has been successful due to the success of the team. Vaas has been the only consistent seam bowler Sri Lanka has ever produced and has been the backbone of the attack whereas Gillespie has always been in the company of Lee and Mcgrath who make up for his lean patches in form.
Good first post, mate. Fair points, well argued. Welcome onboard. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And with the squillions of overseas players these days, many playing just a handful of matches, every one must be expected to do well in all 3 competitions. 8-)
If he'd played a whole season then he could be criticised for not doing well in all 3 competitions.
He played half a season and was unimpressive in FC cricket.

That is not what an overseas player should be, but he's let off as he's someone you rate, so performances matter not one iota.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Regarding Vaas being no good on a green top...

Personally, I haven't seen much of him bowling on one, but he exploited it pretty darn well in Darwin or Cairns (can't remember which one it was, but one of them was a real seamer), getting good hoop and the ball cutting even further once it hit the pitch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
which in turn means that he isnt using it well enough.
It does - it doesn't mean he can't swing the ball conventionally or move it off the seam.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
I think it the other way around, because looking back at a few series where Gillespie has been in top form (India 2004, WI 2000/2003) he outperformed the great McGrath, i dont think any series Vaas has played in he has managed to do that.
Vaas has bowled better than McGrath so many times it's untrue.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Totally disagree that Dizzy is better on a green top. Look at their respective records in NZ, Vaas has taken his wickets there @ a fraction under 22 (shaving 7 runs a wicket off his career figure) & Dizzy bowled rather averagely in his only series over there (7 wickets @ 45-ish).
And in Vaas' series the pitches were green seamers; in Gillespie's they were flat as pancakes.
Look at Gillespie in England in 1997 and 2001 for a better illustration of him on greentops, don't just stereotype.
If you look at Vaas in India his record there is appalling & Indian wickets define "dry, turning, slow pitches". Gillespie, conversely, has thrived there.
Sri Lankan pitches are far, far more definitive of the description; Indian pitches are far more often very flat, offering no seam or turn.
As for Gillespie being more economical of late, it rather depends what you mean by "of late". He's been pretty rank over here.
One single series - doesn't offset the 5 years between 1999 and 2004\05.
So by "of late" I mean more than just what's happened in England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
He played half a season and was unimpressive in FC cricket.

That is not what an overseas player should be, but he's let off as he's someone you rate, so performances matter not one iota.
Rubbish, his performances were average and no more, certainly not "unimpressive", but that doesn't change the fact that he's capable of being a magnificent bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Regarding Vaas being no good on a green top...

Personally, I haven't seen much of him bowling on one, but he exploited it pretty darn well in Darwin or Cairns (can't remember which one it was, but one of them was a real seamer), getting good hoop and the ball cutting even further once it hit the pitch.
There's absolutely no question that he's capable of exploiting them and has done on a few occasions, but nonetheless his overall record on seamers, for someone with his ability on non-seamers, is disappointing.

On current form of the past year, Vaas.

Taking both bowlers at their best I would prefer to have Gillespie at my disposal. I think he had the potential to be the greater bowler.

It's hard to say who will go down with the better legacy because there is a school of thought that the injuries might have taken their toll on Dizzy and he may be on the way out, so time will tell.