• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 14 2009 Discussion and Fantasy League

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks for posting the schedule, will try and update points from round three when I get some spare time.

My picks this week:
Chiefs
Waratahs
Hurricanes
Blues
Crusaders
Bulls

Picking 4 NZ teams to win out of 6 matches, will be interesting if that pays off.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chiefs v Force
Waratahs Vs Reds
Hurricanes V Cheetahs
Blues v Sharks
Highlanders V Crusaders
Bulls v Stormers
Brumbies V Lions

cometer

State Regular
Chiefs v Force
Waratahs Vs Reds
Hurricanes V Cheetahs
Blues v Sharks
Highlanders V Crusaders
Bulls v Stormers

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The Cheetahs are going to get smashed. The worst franchise going has made over 10 changes for the Hurricanes match and influential captain, Juan Smith is back in the Republic. Its not going to be pretty.

Bulls Stormers game should be good despite Habana missing, the Bulls should comfortably knock the Stormers out of any S/F contention before they go off on tour.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Both games tonight were average IMO. Chiefs were gifted three first half tries through missed tackles from the Force and handling errors by both teams plagued the match. Second half of the Tahs vs Reds was terrible at times, again handling errors were far too common - in saying that, at least the Waratahs can grind out close victories, and to start the season with four wins from four matches is quite a feat.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
de Malmanche of the Chiefs is a monster. I read that Wales are trying to poach him...
As a hooker, he makes an excellent prop. His throwing really is terrible. That said, I can see why the Leek-Inserters are interested.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The Cheetahs are going to get smashed. The worst franchise going has made over 10 changes for the Hurricanes match and influential captain, Juan Smith is back in the Republic. Its not going to be pretty.
Did pretty well actually.

Blues Sharks was entertaining, good open game and decent crowd as well. The Sharks have been very un-South African on the road this year. Look like the side to beat.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
As a hooker, he makes an excellent prop. His throwing really is terrible. That said, I can see why the Leek-Inserters are interested.
Yeah coming into the game they said that the Chiefs set piece and de Malmanche are terrible but he and the Chiefs did ok against the Sharks. Pretty impressive sight as well when he has ball in hand, handed-off some very big Shark boys with absolute ease.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
First a few comments on the weekend's matches - a mixture of entertaining and woeful IMO. Great crowds at the games in Auckland and Otago, so at least the places looked full. If South Africa can pack out stadiums of considerable size for Super 14 matches, then so should we. I think the Highlanders offered a free concert after the match and the Blues gave discounted price for tickets. At least the Blues vs Sharks match was a good game to watch, with the Sharks playing extremely well. Losing Paul Williams 10 minutes before kick-off didn't exactly help the Blues (LOL at Lachie Munro being called up from the horse racing to cover on the bench) but with all three of Ali Williams, Rokocoko and Kaino back they looked a better side than the teams they'd named in Perth and South Africa. The Sharks are the best side in the competition at the moment in my view, with 3 of their 4 wins away from home.

Highlanders vs Cruaders was aweful, 65 minutes before the first points were scored but I suppose from an Otago perspective, a win's a win! Doubt we'll see too many worse games this year. The Cheetahs did well to push the Hurricanes earlier that afternoon, so were at least competitive after last week's game in Queensland seemed to take a lot out of them on a long road trip. I didn't watch the Bulls vs Stormers though hardly sounds like an enthralling match.

TBH I'm really concerned at New Zealand's depth after the first four rounds, especially the replacement for Dan Carter. First five is a MASSIVE issue and McAlister's return may have saved us. Stephen Donald has failed to convince me hes capable of filling Carter's boots for the season, while Stephen Brett hasn't started a game yet in the number ten jersey! Slade, Kirkpatrick and Ripia are either in the first Super rugby seasons or can't break into the starting XVs for the franchises, while Daniel Bowden can be brilliant at times and shaky at others. Maybe Jimmy Gopperth has a chance after all? At least hes playing at number ten regularly enough for the Blues, has enough experience and presumably good enough combinations with Weepu, Nonu, Smith, and now Rokocoko and Toeava - a likely enough AB backline.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Week Three results (out of 7):
99* 5
Cometer 5
Simon 5
TT Boy 5
Clapo 4
Ripper868 4
Samuel_Vimes 4
Somerset 4
Voltman 4
BoyBrumby 3

Standings after week three:
Cometer 18
Somerset 16
TT Boy 16
Voltman 15
99* 14
Clapo 14
BoyBrumby 14
Ripper868 13
Simon 13
Luffy 9
Samuel_Vimes 8

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Week Four results (out of 6):
TT Boy 5
BoyBrumby 4
Samuel_Vimes 4
Somerset 4
Voltman 4
99* 3
Clapo 3
Cometer 3
Simon 3
Ripper868 2

Standings after week four:
Cometer 21
TT Boy 21
Somerset 20
Voltman 19
BoyBrumby 18
99* 17
Clapo 17
Simon 16
Ripper868 15
Samuel_Vimes 12
Luffy 9

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fantasy Rugby Standings after Week Four:
The Fen Brumbies (BoyBrumby) 666
Somerset (Somerset) 559
PSV Eindhoven (Simon) 484

Big lead for Brumby after four weeks, my side has performed very poorly and is down to $10.1m in value - I remember last year I had gained almost $1m ny the same stage due to tactical swaps. Still a long way in the season to go though!