• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 14 2009 Discussion and Fantasy League

cometer

State Regular
Think you did but it wasn't the best game to watch of the season. Stupidity at the end cost the Brumbies a last dig at the win and is most likely going to come back to hurt. Can't believe they didn't kick it out from the penalty, that's an unforgiveable mistake :@

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Not quite the high scoring match tonight between the Chiefs and Brumbies that I expected. TBH the Chiefs will be wondering how they didn't scroe more than 10 points, given they finished with 70% of territory and about 20 minutes in the Brumbies' 22. Maybe their 20+ handling errors could explain that though... All in all, I don't think the Brumbies deserved to make the top 4 based on tonight, they barely had a chance to attack in the second half and their try was a result of Masaga's indecision rather than a well worked build up. With the Chiefs not getting a bonus point though, the Bulls need only a win and not a bonus point themselves to claim top spot, so that makes their job against the Sharks a lot easier.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Think you did but it wasn't the best game to watch of the season. Stupidity at the end cost the Brumbies a last dig at the win and is most likely going to come back to hurt. Can't believe they didn't kick it out from the penalty, that's an unforgiveable mistake :@
Both sides made dumb errors throughout the match to be fair - remember that the resulting clearance from the Chiefs after that missed touch finder was fumbled by Rathbone which basically killed any final chance for the Brumbies. At least it was nice to see Rathbone playing rather than on the sideline, he's had a woeful run of injuries over the last few years.

cometer

State Regular
To be fair, the Chiefs try wasn't of much value either. Our winger came up to attempt the intercept and consequently opened up the space on the outside. Given Donald clearly had the better boot it wasn't surprising we got pinned in our own end, especially when it was raining and we didn't have Gerrard to get us some decent territory.

Chiefs didn't score because of the handling errors but also because of the determination of the Brumbies not to let them in. I don't think you can fault the Brumbies for trying tonight though, their defense was brilliant.

They just didn't do enough in attack due to being starved of good ball at the breakdown.

cometer

State Regular
Both sides made dumb errors throughout the match to be fair - remember that the resulting clearance from the Chiefs after that missed touch finder was fumbled by Rathbone which basically killed any final chance for the Brumbies. At least it was nice to see Rathbone playing rather than on the sideline, he's had a woeful run of injuries over the last few years.
For sure, but considering all the errors before hand, missing touch with only seconds on the clock with the game on the line is a poor effort. Rathbone's mistake is forgiveable because time was almost up and there wasn't a certainty that had the ball gone out a lineout would take place.

Agreed though that it was good to see him back. He's certainly had a horror run.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry busy few days and it slipped my mind to put the semi final draw up. I'll try and find a spare 10 mins to update the table this evening.

Chiefs
Bulls

Are we making semi finals worth more than 1 point by the way? I'm happy to go with whatever the majority wants.

ripper868

International Coach
Both games should be worth 50 point each making the entire season irrelevant.

Chiefs
Crusaders

Tipping opposite to make-up ground obviously.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Week Fourteen Results (out of 7):
Cometer 6
Somerset 6
TT Boy 6
Voltman 6
BoyBrumby 5
Ripper868 4
Samuel_Vimes 4
Simon 4

Standings after week fourteen:
Cometer 63
Somerset 61
BoyBrumby 59
TT Boy 59
Voltman 58
Samuel_Vimes 55
Ripper868 54
Simon 48
Clapo 26
99* 22
Luffy 9

As I was mentioning, any thoughts on making the semis worth an extra point? I'm not sure if I'm saying that because I think we've done it in previous years or because I'm in second place. :p

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
7-7 at half time between the Chiefs and Hurricanes. Chiefs have had the better chances IMO and probably deserve to be a few points ahead at the break, a penalty hitting the post and a charged down drop goal right in front not helping their cause. I do think the yellow card of Schwalger may have been a bit harsh on the Hurricanes though, didn't appear as though he had much of a part to play in the ball popping out of the ruck. Great try from Lauaki, I'm not his biggest fan due to his error rate but to beat both Jane and So'oalio was excellent.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Tense match, though I think the Chiefs were the better team and were worthy winners - or am I just saying that because I picked them to win? :p Although I can't see them hosting the final unless the Crusaders pull off a major upset in Pretoria. Just a shame that match is still more than 24 hours away! Had to laugh tonight when the fog made a reappearance, fortunately with only five minutes remaining so that the entire match wasn't ruined like the final a few years ago.

cometer

State Regular
Yeah, double points sounds ok.
Don't agree with double points and it's not because I didn't find time to submit tips for the chiefs v hurricanes game either. Anyway do what you'd like. A semi final is often easier to tip then the regular season.

Bulls v Crusaders

There we go, got at least 1 tip in.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't agree with double points and it's not because I didn't find time to submit tips for the chiefs v hurricanes game either. Anyway do what you'd like. A semi final is often easier to tip then the regular season.
Fair point though the semis and final are also hugely more important than the regular season matches so I raised the points scoring change on that basis (rather than because I was in second spot), and also because I'm sure we did it last year. Next year we'll try and clarify that before the week of the semi finals. ;)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
First half of this morning's semi final was incredible, best half of rugby this entire season. Given I would've preferred for the Crusaders to win so that the final would be in New Zealand, I wasn't overly impressed by the Bulls tactics in the second 40 minutes but if you've got a fly half who can drop goals from 50 metres it was smart play and certainly an effective way to win a semi final. Better side won, can't remember the Crusaders really having a decent opportunity to score in the second half besides Ellis' drop goal.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Missed both games but I caught Morne Steyn's drop goal. How far out was that, over 50, close to 60 yards? Outrageous.