• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil Gavaskar vs Allan Border

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
G Smith is faaaaaar from underrated on this forum. The bloke was great away but he doesn't average 40+ at home if not for ZimBang but he's seen as clearly superior to Hayden/Sehwag for some reason. Lawry was a fine batsman but had a reputation for dourness. Relatively short career that ended unceremoniously which explains why he's less remembered than the guys he's as good as. Greenidge and Boycott get their due I think. Overall, there just haven't been that many truly ngreat openers and I think that's just random statistical variance. You had the 3 finest post War openers around at roughly the same point in the late '70s/early 80s and now Kraigg Brathwaite opens for the World XI.
It's fair to knock Smith but averaging 40 plus as an opener in SA over a entire career is definitely not as easy as any other country. It's the one place were even ordinary seamers are threatening in a first session.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
It's fair to knock Smith but averaging 40 plus as an opener in SA over a entire career is definitely not as easy as any other country. It's the one place were even ordinary seamers are threatening in a first session.
Yeah, I’ve started to rate batsmen from South Africa and England higher than their averages. They seem like genuinely tough nations to play your home games in.

Smith still underperformed at home though.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I’ve started to rate batsmen from South Africa and England higher than their averages. They seem like genuinely tough nations to play your home games in.

Smith still underperformed at home though.
Kallis’ home record is truly amazing amongst Saffer batsmen. Probably the best home batsmen compared to his comrades outside of Flower?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA is the hardest place to bat for openers for sure but you don't get brownie points for mediocrity. Plus, he had a very clear weakness against left arm pace. Smith gets randomly put on a pedestal compared to the other flawed but destructive openers of his time when he was pretty much the same but with an inverted home/away split. You wouldn't rate him if he was English and averaged 65 at home but was mediocre in SA, Australia and India on the charge of having an 'unbalanced' record. Don't mean to berate a guy who makes the World XI for most of his career but he's not a level above Hayden/Sehwag by any means.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
With the border gavaskar trophy coming up, thought this was a much needed comparison. Two great batsmen and two great human beings. Who do you rate higher?

One was an Opener and Another was a Good No5 and No6 Player better Captain with a World Cup.

Overall Border for Team but as a Batsmen its Gavaskar.

Give feedback on my new updated List of 4 Teams

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain

One was an Opener and Another was a Good No5 and No6 Player better Captain with a World Cup.

Overall Border for Team but as a Batsmen its Gavaskar.

Give feedback on my new updated List of 4 Teams
it will be great if someone can give feedback on 1970-1989 Team as i still have lot of Questions in my Head. It is also relevant to the post Gavaskar vs Border

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
it will be great if someone can give feedback on 1970-1989 Team as i still have lot of Questions in my Head. It is also relevant to the post Gavaskar vs Border
**** sake stop putting this in every ****ing post of yours. You already made a thread on it.