• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil Gavaskar vs Allan Border

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar > Kallis > Border though Sunny does clear the competition reasonably clearly imo.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Gavaskar - 34 hundreds in 214 innings (century rate of 6.29)
Kallis - 45 hundreds in 280 innings (century rate of 6.22)
Border - 27 hundreds in 265 innings (century rate of 9.81)

One of these is not like the others.

ashley bach

International Captain

Yeah but this stat doesn't hold too much because Border batted well down the order.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Border actually batted more at 3 and 4 than he did at 5 and 6. His century rate when batting at 3 and 4 is actually worse than when batting at 5 and 6, so that excuse doesn’t work.

3 & 4 - 12 hundreds in 124 innings (century rate of 10.33)
5 & 6 - 15 hundreds in 133 innings (century rate of 8.87)

subshakerz

International Coach

Kallis' record is massively inflated from minnows, weak attacks and flat pitches.

Kallis in his peak wasn't even rated among the top three batsmen of the time, others like Ponting, Hayden, Dravid, Lara were considered better.

Kallis sucked in England, plus Sri Lanka. The others don't have those holes.

shortpitched713

International Captain
At the risk of derailing this thread, I do think that opening, and openers are generally underrated on this forum. Middle order runs are not equal to opening runs, especially in modern eras, of which Gavaskar was a part. I think Gavaskar is the only guy from more recent eras who gets proper respect as a great opening batsman.

But think, there are so many guys who don't even get into ATG conversations, who in all rights should. I'm thinking guys like Graeme Smith, Bill Lawry, etc. And they are all overlooked for the simple reason that 3 English blokes from before WWII, all performed exceptionally well in the same position, facing conditions and challenges not really remotely comparable to the ones faced by modern opening batsmen. A crying shame, for mine.

subshakerz

International Coach
Is there any other opener averaging 50 plus in the 70s and 80s? If not then Gavaskar's case is even stronger.

SillyCowCorner1

I like both of them.

They both had to battle very hard against our relentless pacers.

But, I’ll take the classy lefty on this one ?

trundler

G Smith is faaaaaar from underrated on this forum. The bloke was great away but he doesn't average 40+ at home if not for ZimBang but he's seen as clearly superior to Hayden/Sehwag for some reason. Lawry was a fine batsman but had a reputation for dourness. Relatively short career that ended unceremoniously which explains why he's less remembered than the guys he's as good as. Greenidge and Boycott get their due I think. Overall, there just haven't been that many truly great openers and I think that's just random statistical variance. You had the 3 finest post War openers around at roughly the same point in the late '70s/early 80s and now Kraigg Brathwaite opens for the World XI.

Edit: At some point before Steyn broke through, guys like Nel and Hoggard would've been close to making the World XI. Ntini was a near certainty and he wouldn't make the bench for SA today.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
At the risk of derailing this thread, I do think that opening, and openers are generally underrated on this forum. Middle order runs are not equal to opening runs, especially in modern eras, of which Gavaskar was a part. I think Gavaskar is the only guy from more recent eras who gets proper respect as a great opening batsman.

But think, there are so many guys who don't even get into ATG conversations, who in all rights should. I'm thinking guys like Graeme Smith, Bill Lawry, etc. And they are all overlooked for the simple reason that 3 English blokes from before WWII, all performed exceptionally well in the same position, facing conditions and challenges not really remotely comparable to the ones faced by modern opening batsmen. A crying shame, for mine.
I respectfully disagree specifically with Len Hutton. He faced great pace vs Australia when they had : Lindwall, Miller, Bill Johnston and Ian Johnson (spinner). Then he would've faced decent spin from the WI in the form of Ramadhin and Valentine. And one can point to a few series vs both attacks where Hutton did well, despite his horrific war injury.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
If no prick can get you out then your average deserves to be boosted.
If you’re actually scoring hundreds frequently and batting up the order, then sure. Border wasn’t great at scoring hundreds unfortunately as shown above and had a RPI of only 42.17.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Gavaskar has become noticeably more rustic with age. Used to sound very suave pre-'95 but at some point seems to have just said **** it and embraced his inner "we are like this only" desiness.

Border's remained the same crusty bastard he always was. Gotta love him.