• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

Evermind

International Debutant
Don't diss up Spice Girls, they're pretty cool. I just found one of their songs on my computer, "Tell me whatchya want whatchya really really want, I'll give ya watchya want, watchya really really want... If you wanna' be my lover...". Sikk song :cool: !
Hahaha...man, what're you, 16 years old?

:ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
Nice to see topic shifting to some light-hearted stuff, this thread really got pretty intense while discussing about Gavaskar v/s Aussies (battle of words).

tamanna

Cricket Spectator
Aussies go over the top, not sometimes....but most of the times. Can anyone think of any team against whom they behaved properly.......they justify this by saying that they r here to win and not to make friends....so what do they think the other teams play cricket for.....to hang out wid ppl and go for a drink!!!!

luffy

International Captain
Aussies go over the top, not sometimes....but most of the times. Can anyone think of any team against whom they behaved properly.......they justify this by saying that they r here to win and not to make friends....so what do they think the other teams play cricket for.....to hang out wid ppl and go for a drink!!!!
Ashes 2005?

pup11

International Coach
How good or bad a series Ashes 05 was is not the question, but the thing is when the aussies were friendly in that series the same critics were criticising them for being too goody-goody through the series.

But when England showed the same aggressive behaviour on-field [for which the aussies are always criticised] through Ashes 05 their approach and attitude was appreciated and praised from every corner of the cricketing world.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No not that I know of. A lot of my books are packed at the moment because I am moving, it is from Sunny Days. I did find some of the comments in another book though.

"When I faced Holding, I received four bouncers in an over and a beamer which Holding pretended had slipped from his hand....To call a crowd 'a crowd in Jamaica is a misnomer. It should be called a mob. The way they shrieked and howled every time Holding bowled was positively horrible... All this proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that these people still belong to the jungles and forests instead of a civilised country".
Gavaskar said that the crowd was baying for blood and cheering when the players were getting hit if I remember correctly. I read the book a while back and the chapter didn't appear racist to me at all.

Gavaskar is an honorary citizen of Trinidad and loved there and I really do not think he would be stupid enough to resort to racial slurs related to the Windies people or any one for that matter in the true sense.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Gavaskar said that the crowd was baying for blood and cheering when the players were getting hit if I remember correctly. I read the book a while back and the chapter didn't appear racist to me at all.

Gavaskar is an honorary citizen of Trinidad and loved there and I really do not think he would be stupid enough to resort to racial slurs related to the Windies people or any one for that matter in the true sense.
Not racism, just blatant ignorance and stupidity.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I'd agree with that summation but wish others would provide similar lee-way to others "caught" saying similar things

Evermind

International Debutant
With comments like :

"All this proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that these people still belong to the jungles and forests instead of a civilised country".

I'm really quite surprised he's an "honorary citizen" of Trinidad. Those comments are clearly prejudiced and uncivilised themselves.