• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Substitute fielders in tests

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slats4ever said:
woah man stop trying to take the highground on this. We completely understand that cricket domination is cyclical in nature and your perceived attitude of us as being "whiney" has nothing to do with Australias performance. There's controversy to talk about so talk about it we shall and voice our views.
Yeah, good point. What do you want us to do Eddie, just say nothing in fear of sounding 'whiney?' We're saying our opinion, and although you are too, at least our's isn't a personal attack upon someone else.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slats4ever said:
woah man stop trying to take the highground on this. We completely understand that cricket domination is cyclical in nature and your perceived attitude of us as being "whiney" has nothing to do with Australias performance. There's controversy to talk about so talk about it we shall and voice our views.
Not taking any ground at all (other than giving you a lifetime's payback for every time I've been called a 'whingeing pom').

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
Yeah, good point. What do you want us to do Eddie, just say nothing in fear of sounding 'whiney?' We're saying our opinion, and although you are too, at least our's isn't a personal attack upon someone else.
Where have I said anything personal?

Look upon the phrase "Whingeing Aussie" as a compliment, a recognition that, as a nation, you are finally getting in touch with your feminine side, showing the world that you have a sensitive side and are willing to share your recipes for vegetarian kebabs to roast on the barbecue.

(I blame "Poufdah's Eye For The Straight Bloke")

Scaly piscine

Slats4ever said:
their decision to play very good fielders as 12th men I don't really think is in the spirit of the game.
Classic stuff... Next someone will be saying it's not really in the spirit of the game to bowl at the body when Lee is trying to slog everything for 6...

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ok this is my opinion that has probably been said a few times before.....

I have no problem with the 12th man being picked for their fielding ability.

However, I do have a problem with bowlers going off the field for a "rest" straight after every spell. The reason why the substitute fielder is available is if, and only if, a player is injured/sick (like Jones).

In my opinion this rotational system England have with their fast bowlers is not in the spirit of the game. If they need a "rest" from standing around in the field, they should not be picked in the team.

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
Knopfler said:
Ok this is my opinion that has probably been said a few times before.....

I have no problem with the 12th man being picked for their fielding ability.

However, I do have a problem with bowlers going off the field for a "rest" straight after every spell. The reason why the substitute fielder is available is if, and ony if, a player is injured/sick (like Jones).

In my opinion this rotational system England have with their fast bowlers is not in the spirit of the game. If they need a "rest" from standing around in the field, they should not be picked in the team.
my thoughts exactly

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matthew Hoggard now gone off the field - something else for you all to moan about.

(apart from the fact that England would actually want him on to take the new ball).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Demolition Man said:

Where has it gone England ??

The Spirit of Cricket as decreed by Cricket Australia said:
We play our cricket hard but fair and accept all umpiring decisions as a mark of respect for our opponents, the umpires, ourselves and the game.
i don't think Shane Warne would be able to find it for us

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
this situation would have never occured if Ponting was still batting he didn't give a F**k about them before yesterday :p

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
aussie said:
this situation would have never occured if Ponting was still batting he didn't give a F**k about them before yesterday :p
I agree. Why is the substitution thing only coming to light now when ponting gets annoyed at being run out by one. If someone else had run him out what would be his excuse? Substitutions have been taking place for ages. What if a player needs go to the toilet? Will the ICC introduce a law for that too?

deeps

International 12th Man
interesting how every england bowler needs to go to the toilet after bowling a spell

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
lol whats even more interesting is why does ponting only remembers that substitute shouldn't play when he gets run out by one. Why don't the aussies use Gillespie eh?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
No it's not, it makes sense. NOT EVERY ENGLISH MOVE IS AN ATTEMPT TO CHEAT.

Short-sighted moaning Aussies.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Probably the thing that has interested me the most is Vaughan heading off the ground for an over or two at various intervals - often at rather crucial ones, at that.

greg

International Debutant
vic_orthdox said:
Probably the thing that has interested me the most is Vaughan heading off the ground for an over or two at various intervals - often at rather crucial ones, at that.
It only seems crucial because he's such a good captain that more often than not, he comes back onto the ground changes something... and takes a wicket straight away.

andyc

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or something, but that's what Jack's saying...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
wahindiawah said:
Not sure why everone is calling English team a cheat? .Jones suffered an injury and its the English team that got deprived of the best pace bowler in the series so far.What were Englishmen suppose to do? Play with ten players???

give me a break England have had a substitute on teh firld for heaps of all of the tests, there is always players subbing on and off.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Run like Inzy said:
I agree. Why is the substitution thing only coming to light now when ponting gets annoyed at being run out by one. If someone else had run him out what would be his excuse? Substitutions have been taking place for ages. What if a player needs go to the toilet? Will the ICC introduce a law for that too?

which is why he brought it up with the umpires before the series?