• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart MacGill announces his retirement

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Seems like he understands it perfectly well

MacGill continued: "Unfortunately now my time is up....as I said many times last summer, there is no way I will ever walk on to a cricket field unless I can guarantee that I can dismiss top order batsmen consistently.

"The prospect of letting myself and the team down is simply not an option.
Haha, so this revelation came to him in the middle of a Test? It wouldn't be something that just suddenly happened. After what happened against Sri Lanka, I think we had some idea just quietly. And yet he makes himself available for the West Indies, has a crack again, then pulls out in the middle of a tour? Selfless. :dry:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So the way is open for Warne's return on a wave of public hysteria that even those hard nosed Aussie selectors can't resist - the Ashes may return yet!:laugh:

bond21

Banned
Haha, so this revelation came to him in the middle of a Test? It wouldn't be something that just suddenly happened. After what happened against Sri Lanka, I think we had some idea just quietly. And yet he makes himself available for the West Indies, has a crack again, then pulls out in the middle of a tour? Selfless. :dry:
what do you think a revelation is?

social

He's just had an operation to correct a crippling disease

So he cant bowl as well anymore and has opted out - big deal

Need I remind you that he was Oz's best spinner FOR YEARS and hardly ever got picked

Who is worse?

MacGill retiring when he's lost it or Warne crying to the media when he justifiably get dropped?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
He's just had an operation to correct a crippling disease

So he cant bowl as well anymore and has opted out - big deal

Need I remind you that he was Oz's best spinner FOR YEARS and hardly ever got picked

Who is worse?

MacGill retiring when he's lost it or Warne crying to the media when he justifiably get dropped?
I claimed that Warne is a saint where? I'm sure MacGill has got lots of lovely qualities and is a top father and husband. But he's made a name for himself due to his lux attitude and not playing for the team. So I'm celebrating his departure. :)

social

I claimed that Warne is a saint where? I'm sure MacGill has got lots of lovely qualities and is a top father and husband. But he's made a name for himself due to his lux attitude and not playing for the team. So I'm celebrating his departure. :)
Honestly, I think the problem is that he's got a brain unlike most of the half-wits who make up professional sport

Warnie is a great cricketer an incredibly basic human being - the guy had to have baked beans sent to India so he could eat ffs!

MacGill likes red wine and can communicate - that doesnt go down well with Joe Public

BTW, he got fat because that genius Buchanan sent a cricket team on boot camp and he stuffed his knee

BoyBrumby

Englishman
McGain for India then, you'd have thought? I know Casson's in the squad, but always imagined the selection was only in jest.

Anyway, slightly odd time to call it quits, but when you know you know, I suppose. He's always going to be mentioned in the same breath as Warney, but there can't have been too many spinners who've taken 100+ wickets for less since WW2.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Honestly, I think the problem is that he's got a brain unlike most of the half-wits who make up professional sport

Warnie is a great cricketer an incredibly basic human being - the guy had to have baked beans sent to India so he could eat ffs!

MacGill likes red wine and can communicate - that doesnt go down well with Joe Public

BTW, he got fat because that genius Buchanan sent a cricket team on boot camp and he stuffed his knee
If you're gonna quote my posts, please reference them. :)

social

If you're gonna quote my posts, please reference them. :)
Huh?

You said he was lax, I countered by saying his weight problems were due to a ****house training regimen employed by an idiot coach

As for playing for himself, how go you figure that?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Huh?

You said he was lax, I countered by saying his weight problems were due to a ****house training regimen employed by an idiot coach

As for playing for himself, how go you figure that?
Lax doesn't mean fat. And to blame MacGill's weight on a one-off boot camp? Haha.

Haha, have given millions of reasons on how MacGill has been selfish. Not commenting on it anymore.

Mister Wright

Always loved Stuey.

For all his criticisms he had his moments in test cricket and 200 wickets is something special. You have to give him credit for not hanging on and getting dropped. He will always have the fact he was selected ahead of Warne for at least one test match.

Congratulations on a fine career. Had he been born 5 years later I feel he could have easily taken 300+ wickets or if born in another country been a fine test cricketer.

social

Lax doesn't mean fat. And to blame MacGill's weight on a one-off boot camp? Haha.

Haha, have given millions of reasons on how MacGill has been selfish. Not commenting on it anymore.
Boot camp = knee injury = operation = cant run = fat

As for the selfish part, you're obviously taking the Richard route i.e. I say = fact

News flash: all professional sportsmen are selfish!

MacGill is no better or worse than others.

If he'd been truly selfish, he could've relied on Ponting picking him for the next test and the series in India no matter how he bowled (history says that's what would've happened)

Instead, he's put his hand up and said " I cant do it anymore - pick someone else"

Ideal - no

Selfish - no

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, WoW. :blink:

Didn't see this coming, not right now. Was kinda expecting it at the end of the series actually ITBT. But retiring in the middle of an away series - unusual in the extreme.

Not disappointed at all - MacGill was doing no-one any good by playing now.

Never thought much of him at all myself, but he's put in some useful performances and one or two excellent ones, never better than when he terrorised the useless-against-spin England batsmen of 1998/99 in those last 2 Tests, taking 7-142 and 12-107.

Surely Bryce McGain has to come into contention now? Has to?

social

Why?

AT best, he's a short term option

Give Casson a go (should be confident plus he can bat and field ) or play the best possible attack (all seamers) plus Watson, Symonds, Clarke and Katich as back up

There is no point playing crap bowlers just for the sake of it

Mister Wright

Haha, WoW. :blink:

Didn't see this coming, not right now. Was kinda expecting it at the end of the series actually ITBT. But retiring in the middle of an away series - unusual in the extreme.

Not disappointed at all - MacGill was doing no-one any good by playing now.

Never thought much of him at all myself, but he's put in some useful performances and one or two excellent ones, never better than when he terrorised the useless-against-spin England batsmen of 1998/99 in those last 2 Tests, taking 7-142 and 12-107.

MacGill was many things, and one of them was certainly unusual.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why?

AT best, he's a short term option

Give Casson a go (should be confident plus he can bat and field ) or play the best possible attack (all seamers) plus Watson, Symonds, Clarke and Katich as back up

There is no point playing crap bowlers just for the sake of it
Exactly - so don't pick Casson. He's useless, and I'm willing to say he's exceptionally unlikely ever to be a state-standard bowler, never mind international.

If Australia are to remotely countenance the possibility of not playing four seamers, they need to get McGain in now. But preferable, of course, would be to simply pick Noffke now. Interested to see how he'll fare if so.

social

Exactly - so don't pick Casson. He's useless, and I'm willing to say he's exceptionally unlikely ever to be a state-standard bowler, never mind international.
Too early to say that (only 25) plus he averaged 70 with the bat last year

Selectors picked him to tour so give him a go, he won't be worse than MacGill

Last edited by a moderator: