• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strongest Bowling combination

Which bowling combination is strongest ?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
If you have Imran and Waqar had two of the most incredible bowling peaks in cricket history. Don't really think picking any other combination here makes sense if the question is "at their best".
Only Marshall’s peak of 6 WPM over 40 tests in really competitive attacks, while maintaining a complete record everywhere matches either

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Only Marshall’s peak of 6 WPM over 40 tests in really competitive attacks, while maintaining a complete record everywhere matches either
I actually think his peak is better (which is not something I thought I'd ever say).

More competitive opposition than Waqar. Staying on the park throughout unlike Imran.

Plus what you mention.

'At their best' doesn't necessarily mean a peak this long though. They were both more destructive than him across shorter time frames. And there are 2 of them.

And Murali's peak clocks all of them FTR.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
I actually think his peak is better (which is not something I thought I'd ever say).

More competitive opposition than Waqar. Staying on the park throughout unlike Imran.

Plus what you mention.

'At their best' doesn't necessarily mean a peak this long though. They were both more destructive than him across shorter time frames. And there are 2 of them.

One of the greatest surely, especially cause of the crazy rate at which he churned those wickets at his peak

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Both McGrath and Warne individually, let alone together, are better than any of the other bowlers mentioned here, so this is a no brainer. Cummins as support is a nice extra.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
If you have Imran and Waqar had two of the most incredible bowling peaks in cricket history. Don't really think picking any other combination here makes sense if the question is "at their best".
I can't argue with that at all.
However, I would prefer a discussion on combinations of players that played together at their peak.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
1.Akram
2.Marshall
3.Steyn
4.Mcgrath
5.Warne
6.Donald
7.Imran
8.Ambrose
9.Waqar
10.Cummins
11.Garner
12.Pollock

1+7+9 = 17
2+8+11= 21
3+6+12 = 21
4+5+10 = 19

1.Akram + Imran + Waqar
2.Mcgrath + Warne + Cummins
3. Marshall + Ambrose + Garner / Steyn + Donald + Pollock

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
1.Akram
2.Marshall
3.Steyn
4.Mcgrath
5.Warne
6.Donald
7.Imran
8.Ambrose
9.Waqar
10.Cummins
11.Garner
12.Pollock

1+7+9 = 17
2+8+11= 21
3+6+12 = 21
4+5+10 = 19

1.Akram + Imran + Waqar
2.Mcgrath + Warne + Cummins
3. Marshall + Ambrose + Garner / Steyn + Donald + Pollock
Murali???

shortpitched713

International Captain
I really respect the SA trio here. I think the West Indies could be just better, because Garner > S. Pollock slightly, but the other 4 are so close it's almost impossible to split. Definitely at least second best attack, and had no votes, so I'll take the SA trio.

PAK trio win out if it's only peak though, Imran and Waqar were something else at their peaks.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I prefer the order from the CW 2022 poll. (Warne not included as it was a pacers poll but I'll slot him in where PFK put him. ie between MacGrath & Ambrose)

1. Marshall
2. McGrath
3. Warne
4. Ambrose
5. Steyn
6. Imran Khan
7. Wasim Akram
8. Donald
9. Garner
10. Waqar Younis
11. Pollock
12. Cummins

Using PFK's system and the CW poll we arrive at:
1. Marshall, Ambrose, Garner (1+5+9 = 15)
2. McGrath, Warne, Cummins (2+3+12 = 17)
3. Imran, Wasim, Waqar (6+7+10 = 23)
4. Steyn, Donald, Pollock (5+8+11 = 24)

I appreciate PFK's ranking might have been done on peak performances but I think a comparison of results is warranted.

subshakerz

International Coach

Plus what you mention.

I think Marshalls peak was better than Waqars. But not Imran who was averaging 14/15 in his peak which is just insane.

Last edited:

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I think Marshalls peak was better than Waqars. But not Imran who was averaging 14/15 in his peak which is just insane.
You are looking at around 81-86 for this average. Imran was injured for a lot of this time. Pak played 46 tests. Imran played 27, plus there is played and could not bowl. It's super impressive that he could manage this kind of record either side of an injury. But I'd rather have a bowler averaging 17ish playing consistently than one averaging a couple of points lower who is frequently getting replaced by someone mediocre.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
I prefer the order from the CW 2022 poll. (Warne not included as it was a pacers poll but I'll slot him in where PFK put him. ie between MacGrath & Ambrose)

1. Marshall
2. McGrath
3. Warne
4. Ambrose
5. Steyn
6. Imran Khan
7. Wasim Akram
8. Donald
9. Garner
10. Waqar Younis
11. Pollock
12. Cummins

Using PFK's system and the CW poll we arrive at:
1. Marshall, Ambrose, Garner (1+5+9 = 15)
2. McGrath, Warne, Cummins (2+3+12 = 17)
3. Imran, Wasim, Waqar (6+7+10 = 23)
4. Steyn, Donald, Pollock (5+8+11 = 24)

I appreciate PFK's ranking might have been done on peak performances but I think a comparison of results is warranted.
Yeah this is a lot better. I'll do some slight adjustments for my list but no-one is more than a couple of positions out for me.

McGrath
Marshall
Steyn
Warne
Ambrose
Imran
Wasim
Donald
Garner
Waqar
Pollock
Cummins

1. Marshall, Ambrose, Garner (2+5+9 = 16)
2. McGrath, Warne, Cummins (1+4+12 = 17)
3.Steyn, Donald, Pollock (3+8+11 = 22)
4. Imran, Wasim, Waqar (6+7+10 = 23)

Almost nudged Cummins ahead of Pollock which would have created ties for both 1st and 3rd. This is the peaks thread though and I have Pakistan ahead on that. Tbh I should just tier bowlers above and work it out based on that. 1-2=Tier 1, 3-6=Tier 2, 7-9=Tier 3 and 10-12=Tier 4.

1.WI (1+2+3=6)
2. Aus (1+2+4=7)
3=. SA and Pak (2+3+4=9)

For overall careers. Bring Lillee into the Aus side and I have him a tier higher than Cummins and Aus and WI tie.

Edit: On the first list Lillee would actually slot between Wasim and Donald so Aus would be 1+4+8=13 and WI, with Garner being a position lower, scoring 17. Looks like a thrashing but it's slight differences of rating within tiers.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WI. Marshall is slightly better than McGrath, Ambrose=Warne, and Garner better than Cummins. Spin factor doesn’t weigh in for me, cause Marshall is a better all conditions matchwinner than Warne or any other spinner
Yup WIs 3 for me, and ftr while Warne is the greatest leg spinner of all-time, I rate Ambrose a better bowler overall.

Hard to vote against Pakistan. Peak Waqar is basically The Goat and Imran’s peak was statistically even better. Though I think Peak Waqar was still better than him and everybody really, Marshall included.

Just thinking about bowlers at their absolute peak, Peak Thommo to go with someone like Peak Johnson would be scary to face.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
As a combination, the aussie lineup wins since it is the only one with a spinner.

But as individuals, it is windies followed by pak and then Australia and then South Africa. Cummins still has to do a bit more to be there along with those greats.