• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strength of First Class Competitions

Jabijaba

Cricket Spectator
This is how I rate the the strength of the worl'd s first class competitions: (from strongest to weakest)

1) Australia
2) South Africa
3) India
4) pakistan
5) England
6) West Indies
7) Sri Lanka
8) New Zealand
9) bangladesh
10) Zimbabwe

I have actually been to and seen first class matches in each of these countries (with the exception of Zimbabwe) over the last 5 years so I have some idea of what I'm talking about...

What do you think ???

You may all respond,
Later,

Jabijaba

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
1) Australia
2) India
3) England
4) South Africa
5) Sri Lanka
6) New Zealand
7) West Indies
8) Pakistan
9) Bangladesh
10) Zimbabwe

Jabijaba

Cricket Spectator
James90 said:
1) Australia
2) India
3) England
4) South Africa
5) Sri Lanka
6) New Zealand
7) West Indies
8) Pakistan
9) Bangladesh
10) Zimbabwe

fair enough --- I rated South Africa's domestic comp higher than England because I felt there was a greater level of fitness and intensity.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Australia's first class comp isn't as good these days as it used to be in the 80's and 90's.

I think Pakistan's is one of the berst because the standard of genuine fast bowling in our country is higher than anywhere else in the world.
Our A team also beat Australia A pretty convincingly recently and our u-19 team is the best in the world.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Salamuddin said:
Australia's first class comp isn't as good these days as it used to be in the 80's and 90's.

I think Pakistan's is one of the berst because the standard of genuine fast bowling in our country is higher than anywhere else in the world.
So how is it that people like Mohammad Khalil and Mohammad Asif get to play test cricket?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
James90 said:
So how is it that people like Mohammad Khalil and Mohammad Asif get to play test cricket?

How does Saggers get to play for England or Watson/Bracken for Australia ?
There are always exceptions to every rule.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Salamuddin said:
Our A team also beat Australia A pretty convincingly recently and our u-19 team is the best in the world.
I thought Bangladesh had the best U19 team

Salamuddin

International Debutant
andyc said:
I thought Bangladesh had the best U19 team

Pakistan are the u-19 world champions and Bangladesh have only managed to beat England and Sri lanka of late. England has a pretty poor youth program so beating them is not much of an achievement.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jabijaba said:
fair enough --- I rated South Africa's domestic comp higher than England because I felt there was a greater level of fitness and intensity.
Nah mate i dont think thats the case at all, England should definately be 2nd IMO...

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Mohammad Asif is improving a lot after seeing his recent performances in the england tour.

Saggers was an okay bowler he just lacked pace which isn't susprising considering how late in his career he was picked.

Swings and roundabouts.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
aussie said:
Nah mate i dont think thats the case at all, England should definately be 2nd IMO...
I think the english game is let down by the presence of several poor quality teams at the moment.

Jabijaba

Cricket Spectator
aussie said:
England have I think the most overrated domestic setup in the world for the follwing reasons:
1) There is a 'sameness' in the pitches....unlike some other countries.
2) Too much reliance is placed on foreign imports rather than home gorwn talent.
3) There is poor coordination between the counties to ensure that a positive, attacking style of cricket is played --- other countries have first class conclaves where consistency in coaching methods/playing styles is pursued towrads the end of producinbg stronger domestic competetion and a more competetive national team.
In England it seems to be a general case of every county for itself and balls to England.
4) I felt several county teams were lacking in general fitness - the fielding stanadard were poor and the levels of athleticism displayed could have been muich better.
5) Country matches are seen as carnival affairs - they lack the fire, the intensity and the passion atht I've seen say in Pura Cup or Duleep trophy games.

Jabijaba

Cricket Spectator
Jabijaba said:
England have I think the most overrated domestic setup in the world for the follwing reasons:
2) Too much reliance is placed on foreign imports rather than home gorwn talent.
3) There is poor coordination between the counties to ensure that a positive, attacking style of cricket is played --- other countries have first class conclaves where consistency in coaching methods/playing styles is pursued towrads the end of producinbg stronger domestic competetion and a more competetive national team.
In England it seems to be a general case of every county for itself and balls to England.
4) I felt several county teams were lacking in general fitness - the fielding stanadard were poor and the levels of athleticism displayed could have been muich better.
5) Country matches are seen as carnival affairs - they lack the fire, the intensity and the passion atht I've seen say in Pura Cup or Duleep trophy games.

Also I should add that I think they have too many first class teams which I think India also suffer with in the Ranji trophy but a least the Indians make up for to some extent with the Duleep trophy.
Also, I think 20-20 cricket is a waste of time - unless its going to become a permananet part of internataional cricket and not just a novelty thing, why bother with it and attach as much importance to it as the English do ?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
The main advantage of Australian cricket over the English is the time between matches. Playing only 20 matches a season in total and I'm not sure but does the Australian season last longer? Even so there's more time in between games that in the County Championship. For that reason the players remain fatigued and the matches lack a certain intensity. Reading Ponting's diary, he comments on how at a typical Somerset training session there would old be 8 people at the ground with the rest of the squad just sitting around in the hotel.

Jabijaba

Cricket Spectator
Australian pitches are getting flatter and flatter. They don't have the pace and bounce they had of yesteryear.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Jabijaba said:
1) how is the hell is taunton similar to northampton?
2) Maybe with the richer teams but they still produce good young talent.
3) Not all cricket has to be attacking and positive as was showed in the England tour of pak, sometimes you need to be able to ek out the draws.
4) I'm sure the poorer teams in all domestic competitions have the same problem
5) Again against poorer teams who have nothing to play for but there have been some right battles in the CC.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
My rankings would be:

1) Pakistan
20 Australia
3) South Africa
4) India
5) England
6) New Zealand
7) West Indies
8) Sri Lanka
9) Bangladesh
10 Zimbabwe

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Salamuddin said:

how does the performance of your A team reflect the strength of your domestic comp. There are massive alterior motives when it comes to choosing an A side, and it isn't simply the second best team...