• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strength of First Class Competitions

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
In my opinion the sides should be as follows

Australia
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Hodge
Hussey
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
MacGill
McGrath

Australia A
Jaques
Maher
Katich
Martyn
Clarke
Lehmann
Haddin
White
Gillespie
Bracken
Tait

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slats4ever said:
what do i lose though? i'm not really competing for anything. well i don't think i am. And heck if you're the judge of who win's or not, i'm putting $100 on you to win.
LOL

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Salamuddin said:
Australia's first class comp isn't as good these days as it used to be in the 80's and 90's.

I think Pakistan's is one of the berst because the standard of genuine fast bowling in our country is higher than anywhere else in the world.
Our A team also beat Australia A pretty convincingly recently and our u-19 team is the best in the world.
LOLOLOL oh u can't be serious.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
SteveG said:
LOLOLOL oh u can't be serious.
I'm dead serious buddy.....your first class comp ain't that good any more and when Mcgrath and Warne go, you'll find out that it's not that crash hot.

As for our U-19's, they are far, far better than yours

Deja moo

International Captain
Salamuddin said:
I think Pakistan's is one of the berst because the standard of genuine fast bowling in our country is higher than anywhere else in the world.

If thats so, where are they hiding ? At best you've got 5-6 good pacers. The rest, as made obvious by the guys who make it in to the national side every now and then, arent better than most bowlers outside Pakistan.

5-6 good pacers do not make for a high standard of domestic cricket, well perhaps they could, but not not high enough to qualify it as the best in the world.

Our A team also beat Australia A pretty convincingly recently and our u-19 team is the best in the world.
Point ? How many Under-19s play domestic cricket at any point in time anyway ? Nowhere near as many over-19s playing at any point in time. And do you mean to say that the previous under-19 champions, before your team won it, arent playing domestic cricket in their countries anymore, or that they have lost their skills ?

And Mumbai keeps thwarting the senior Aussie team everytime they land here, but we dont go shouting from the roofs that India has the best domestic competition in the world.

SteveG

Salamuddin said:
I'm dead serious buddy.....your first class comp ain't that good any more and when Mcgrath and Warne go, you'll find out that it's not that crash hot.

As for our U-19's, they are far, far better than yours
I'm sorry, but you really are deluded if you think Pakistan domestic cricket is stronger than the Pura Cup ( or County Cricket for that matter).

But, I won't burst your bubble...you obviously have been on another planet for the last 20 years.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
SteveG said:
I'm sorry, but you really are deluded if you think Pakistan domestic cricket is stronger than the Pura Cup ( or County Cricket for that matter).

But, I won't burst your bubble...you obviously have been on another planet for the last 20 years.

Yes, the planet's called Earth....

You give me your reasons as to why the Pura Cup is the best......
the stanadrd of fast bowling is poor in The Pura Cup..... worse than in Pakistan.

We have genuine quicks in pakistan not just trundlers like Bracken, S Clark, Edmondson, Cleary etc.

SteveG

If you think that because the Pakistan U19 team beat the Australian U19, or even Pakistan A beat Australia A, makes Pakistan domestic cricket the best in the world, then you could argue that England are the number one test side in the world because they beat Australia in the Ashes.

Or that Pakistan is the best test side because they beat England.

We all know that is ridiculous. So when Pakistan can constantly beat Australia in ALL forms and levels or cricket then you have a case...but, until then you are really stretching to prove your point.

SteveG

Salamuddin said:
Yes, the planet's called Earth....

You give me your reasons as to why the Pura Cup is the best......
the stanadrd of fast bowling is poor in The Pura Cup..... worse than in Pakistan.

We have genuine quicks in pakistan not just trundlers like Bracken, S Clark, Edmondson, Cleary etc.
Easy...Australia has been the number one nation in all forms of the game for over 10 years. You don't get to number one and hold it for that long without have a strong domestic competition.

And, you can prove your case....how? By saying you have better fast bowlers? Where are your facts to back this up? Your batsman, why are they better? Facts please.

Maybe we should just take your word for it?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
SteveG said:
Easy...Australia has been the number one nation in all forms of the game for over 10 years. You don't get to number one and hold it for that long without have a strong domestic competition.

And, you can prove your case....how? By saying you have better fast bowlers? Where are your facts to back this up? Your batsman, why are they better? Facts please.

Maybe we should just take your word for it?

Look at the quality of the bowlers in your domestic cricket ....objectively. IT's pretty poor....you haven't got a potential replacement for Warne in sight.....if Cullen, Casson and White are the best you've got....you've got serious problems.
Even your pacers aren't that promising......Tait and Johsnon are both massively overhyped.

Your pitches are becoming flatter and flatter - the old pace and bounce of Aussie wickets is a thing of yesteryear.
As a result your batsmen have defciencies against quality swing and seam bowling - this was ruthlessly exposed during the Ashes.

Australia's domestic cricket was the best in the past - that I admit - but the gap has narrowed a lot with other comps and I seriously think you guys are deluding yourself to that fact.
I lived in Sydney until the end of last year so I know a lot more about Aussie domestic cricket than you may think.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
If thats so, where are they hiding ? At best you've got 5-6 good pacers. The rest, as made obvious by the guys who make it in to the national side every now and then, arent better than most bowlers outside Pakistan.

5-6 good pacers do not make for a high standard of domestic cricket, well perhaps they could, but not not high enough to qualify it as the best in the world.

Point ? How many Under-19s play domestic cricket at any point in time anyway ? Nowhere near as many over-19s playing at any point in time. And do you mean to say that the previous under-19 champions, before your team won it, arent playing domestic cricket in their countries anymore, or that they have lost their skills ?

And Mumbai keeps thwarting the senior Aussie team everytime they land here, but we dont go shouting from the roofs that India has the best domestic competition in the world.
Deja Moo and I agree... well I'll be damned...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Salamuddin said:
If these genuine quicks are any good, please explain why Sami is in the Test side?

SteveG

Salamuddin said:
Look at the quality of the bowlers in your domestic cricket ....objectively. IT's pretty poor....you haven't got a potential replacement for Warne in sight.....if Cullen, Casson and White are the best you've got....you've got serious problems.
Even your pacers aren't that promising......Tait and Johsnon are both massively overhyped.

Your pitches are becoming flatter and flatter - the old pace and bounce of Aussie wickets is a thing of yesteryear.
As a result your batsmen have defciencies against quality swing and seam bowling - this was ruthlessly exposed during the Ashes.

Australia's domestic cricket was the best in the past - that I admit - but the gap has narrowed a lot with other comps and I seriously think you guys are deluding yourself to that fact.
I lived in Sydney until the end of last year so I know a lot more about Aussie domestic cricket than you may think.
You still haven't answered the question.

Facts, please mate. Not just your opinion.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
SteveG said:
You still haven't answered the question.

Facts, please mate. Not just your opinion.

Steve, you haven't answered mine ? Can you give me cold,hard facts that Australia's Pura Cup is better than Pakistan's Patron's trophy.

NO you can't beacuse ultimately what we're arguing about is a very subjective matter - I feel Australia's comp is not as good as it used to be and Pakistan's has improved a lot. THis is based on what I've seen.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
If these genuine quicks are any good, please explain why Sami is in the Test side?
Because Bob Woolmer feels he can get Sami to be agood bowler under his tutelage.
Time will tell.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see you inherited the uniquely New South Welshman trait of extrapolating from limited knowledge of where you are geographically to assume that where you are is the best in the world.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
Good to see you inherited the uniquely New South Welshman trait of extrapolating from limited knowledge of where you are geographically to assume that where you are is the best in the world.

Sausage rolled.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Salamuddin said:
Because Bob Woolmer feels he can get Sami to be agood bowler under his tutelage.
Time will tell.
In that case, why not use that on someone already so much better than him (as you're alluding to being around in the Pakistani domestic scene?)

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
in my opinion I'd have to say that the English domestic comp would be quite good. I mean their national sides resurrection surely has to reflect the effectiveness of the 2 division competition.