• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes retiring from ODI cricket

Spark

Global Moderator
More revenue total though? Or more profit? ODIs also take so much longer and hence I'd assume more expensive to run.
This is true but until recently they were actually where boards made most of their money which is why the calendar got so jam-packed with JAMODIs. T20 leagues have replaced that niche now of course.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would not be surprised if, apart from the the WC & Champions Trophy, 50 overs stuff would be pretty irrelevant now from a revenue perspective if it was simply replaced by T20s

In any event, it’s got no place in the game anymore

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
T20 can make all the money, so the boards that publicly pretend they're massive charities can go from making a lot of money to all of the money.

The public has by and large bought this line and the suits have won.

IMO cricket will be just T20 within 50 years unless the "zoomers love authenticity" narrative actually surfaces. The current state of womens cricket is where mens cricket will be lead.

Barclay, White, Giles Clarke and Sutherland when they were around...these men are not visionaries, they are not passionate, they are CEOs. Most CEOs only have one core value - profit.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Even with T20 making more money, the 2019 World Cup was the most watched cricketing event in the history of the sport. Since then, finalists NZ have played 13 ODIs... in 3 years. Unreal. I guess we've seen the end of players playing 200+ ODIs for their country.

thierry henry

International Coach
Even with T20 making more money, the 2019 World Cup was the most watched cricketing event in the history of the sport. Since then, finalists NZ have played 13 ODIs... in 3 years. Unreal. I guess we've seen the end of players playing 200+ ODIs for their country.
Crazy thing is we at least had a proper schedule of home ODIs every year leading up to the 2019 World Cup. In a bizarre bit of timing NZC seemingly decided to give up on ODIs starting from the World Cup final. Maybe they are really just ODI tragics and took it even harder than the fans.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a real shame. What's also unreal is the player of the tournament, Kane, has played 2 ODIs since then, and none since COVID. Yet we're expecting him to be our lynchpin at the World Cup next year?

Barclay, White, Giles Clarke and Sutherland when they were around...these men are not visionaries, they are not passionate, they are CEOs. Most CEOs only have one core value - profit.
This is 100% true. And the only thing that has saved Test cricket is people like Kohli, McCullum, Williamson etc who are prepared to use their status to give relevance to the format. You may well be right - once that generation goes, unless there's administrators with an ounce of long-term foresight and passion, it'll just die. Like ODIs are.

It's such a ****ing shame for ODIs. My god, how T20Is ****ing suck. I have so many fond memories of World Series ODIs, Chappell Hadlees, tri-series in Australia, even three/five ODI series which meant something because countries rolled out their best XIs.

The wonderful old days of Mexican waves and projectiles, Lord Mills chants, standing half pissed on the Terraces at Eden Park...oh hell you can't even do that anymore.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
One thing that has been awesome to see but hasn't been mentioned yet is just how much international cricket now gets played beyond the top 10-15 nations. Feel this is where the real inroads have been made when it comes to this t20i structure so would be sad to see them get scrapped altogether.

It's going to be a real shame when the Super League (and I'm guessing league 2) gets dumped next cycle. It was giving so much context to games outside the top 10 and that gap now is as small as it's ever been.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ever since they were a thing I’ve preferred T20 to ODI, however the WC is so much better than the T20 edition (which is still obviously great). Every day of Test Cricket really means something but that’s not the case with JAMODIs. Nor is it with T20s but they don’t take up a whole day.

I mean I enjoy watching any cricket, but there’s only so many hours etc and ODIs just feel like friendlies. Especially these days. Like others I remember some of the old series fondly, eg England’s bizarre win in the VB series in 2007 is a real cricketing highlight for me.

All that being said, I am talking purely about TV. In terms of actually watching live, an ODI is the best way to spend time at live cricket IMO. I guess a Test day five with all to play for (or a backs to the wall attempt to save the day) would probably be better but I’ve never been to one of them.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ever since they were a thing I’ve preferred T20 to ODI, however the WC is so much better than the T20 edition (which is still obviously great). Every day of Test Cricket really means something but that’s not the case with JAMODIs. Nor is it with T20s but they don’t take up a whole day.

I mean I enjoy watching any cricket, but there’s only so many hours etc and ODIs just feel like friendlies. Especially these days. Like others I remember some of the old series fondly, eg England’s bizarre win in the VB series in 2007 is a real cricketing highlight for me.

All that being said, I am talking purely about TV. In terms of actually watching live, an ODI is the best way to spend time at live cricket IMO. I guess a Test day five with all to play for (or a backs to the wall attempt to save the day) would probably be better but I’ve never been to one of them.
I sometimes wonder if we should scrap T20Is apart from World Cups tbh. Not that I care about the IPL, but it seems for the domestic market T20s make the most money as it's the easiest of them all for casual punters to attend (then again, so are T20Is). It could be something like the NBA or EPL where the domestic comp is followed a low more intensely than the national games, bar the world cups in footballs case. Bring back the Champions league for T20s imo.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I sometimes wonder if we should scrap T20Is apart from World Cups tbh. Not that I care about the IPL, but it seems for the domestic market T20s make the most money as it's the easiest of them all for casual punters to attend (then again, so are T20Is). It could be something like the NBA or EPL where the domestic comp is followed a low more intensely than the national games, bar the world cups in footballs case. Bring back the Champions league for T20s imo.
The only problem with that is that international cricket boards are relying on T20Is for revenue. They're never going to sell off their cash cow. It's just such an easy product - you don't even have to wheel your best team out. Put it in the right timeslot, make sure the pitch is flat, and you're pretty well sorted for cash.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only problem with that is that international cricket boards are relying on T20Is for revenue. They're never going to sell off their cash cow. It's just such an easy product - you don't even have to wheel your best team out. Put it in the right timeslot, make sure the pitch is flat, and you're pretty well sorted for cash.
Tikkky Tokkky has seeped its way into cricket.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Another reason why running things for profit is dumb. Communist cricket for all now pls

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Yeah same for me for just for the timing reasons. When I get the chance I will still happily dedicate an entire day to watching a Test but not really going to do that very often for an ODI so just watch bits of it which is never as satisfactory.

As it happens 40 over cricket was easily my favourite one day format, great live and on TV.