• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes retiring from ODI cricket

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Irrelevant format, common sense course of action

ODIs only mattered from 1999-2015 (brief interlude of relevance in around 1987)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Irrelevant format, common sense course of action

ODIs only mattered from 1999-2015 (brief interlude of relevance in around 1987)
Well yeah, it's irrelevant now. Administrators have made damn sure of that. It used to be a bloody entertaining format, but most of our administrators are 'errr derrr T20 is easier and makes more money' so we've now pretty much lost a format where traditional cricket skills could still be applied.

The fact that Ben Stokes has retired just over a year ahead of the World Cup defence, the World Cup that he basically won off his own back, at 31, is such a pile of feces on the face of the ECB fish heads and their insistence on cramming a whole bunch of irrelevant fixtures and whiz-bang BS into their calendar over player longevity and welfare. And it's blown up in their face as their marquee guy retires from ODIs, even though he didn't play the IPL and now won't play the Hundred.

The sooner we get people like Eoin Morgan into administration roles, people who know the game, the toll it takes and have the vision to couple the current with the future, the better off it'll be. The longer we have clueless administrators who want the books to balance right now and be damned with the future, the more this will happen.

Last edited:

trundler

I don't buy that modern cricketers play more cricket these days. Barrington played 30+ FC matches a year for the majority of his career. In 1999, Dravid played 43 ODIs and 10 tests. That's over a match per week. Not even like ODIs don't draw viewers anymore. The constant pussification of players by resting them from less important ODI series and the plague of T20 leagues have led to this. It's a damn shame too. Right now Babar Azam is batting at a level that has only been matched by the absolute greats but not surpassed and he's only played 6 ****ing ODIs this year. Cricketers these days are pampered divas who would rather bowl 24 balls a day then go home. Can't wait for the oversaturation of LO cricket to bleed the golden goose dry. Who knew moronic rules (2 new balls), terrible teams and myopic vision could kill something good? Pretty sure not one person thought of Finch's highest T20 score today but Anwar's 194 and Tendulkar's double still inspire boners years later. This is all going to wreck the sport.

thierry henry

International Coach
Still don't get how teams used to play like 30 ODIs a year and eventually that understandably became a bit much, so now we play like 5 ODIs a year yet they are still called "meaningless" and "JAMODIs" despite being the most rare form of cricket. Really feels like a self-fulfilling prophesy of them being willed into obsolescence. Still a gr8 format, **** a T20.

trundler

Still don't get how teams used to play like 30 ODIs a year and eventually that understandably became a bit much, so now we play like 5 ODIs a year yet they are still called "meaningless" and "JAMODIs" despite being the most rare form of cricket. Really feels like a self-fulfilling prophesy of them being willed into obsolescence. Still a gr8 format, **** a T20.
How many ODIs have Root, Williamson, Starc, Rohit, and Warner played lately? When the best players are going to wantonly skip them then what's the point?

thierry henry

International Coach
How many ODIs have Root, Williamson, Starc, Rohit, and Warner played lately? When the best players are going to wantonly skip them then what's the point?
Is participation of elite players in bilateral T20Is better than in bilateral ODIs? I wouldn't have thought so...and if it is, I can't see any reason for that to be the case. Ergo, T20Is are at least as meaningless as ODIs so let's can 'em.

thierry henry

International Coach
With ODIs being so few and far between now but with the ODI WC still feeling like the "real" world cup, it actually makes no sense to treat the few ODIs played like JAMODIs. NZ are the gold standard for willfully failing to prepare for the next World Cup. This isn't really about cricketing logic.

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
As far as the relevance of ODI goes, it exists because someone realised its be entertaining to see test cricketers free to have a slog.T20 is obviously a truer realisation of that and therefore one day international cricket is obselete. And should be put out of its misery.
As faras stokes is concerned,. Who cares? not me. The less i see of him on the field the happier i am. Im completely over the stokes is injured, but can he bravely battle on show. Over it. Over him

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The biggest issue with ODIs is that boards saw fit to simply roll out their second or third XIs all the time

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is participation of elite players in bilateral T20Is better than in bilateral ODIs? I wouldn't have thought so...and if it is, I can't see any reason for that to be the case. Ergo, T20Is are at least as meaningless as ODIs so let's can 'em.
People don't care about bilateral T20I series either though so this is a weird comeback.

thierry henry

International Coach
one day international cricket is obselete. And should be put out of its misery.

As far as stokes is concerned,. Who cares? not me. The less i see of him on the field the happier i am.
Utter nonsense and absolute gospel truth in a single post. The enigma of davado.