• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes, Ashwin or Shakib?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
If Jadeja could replicate what we he did in the last 5 years for the next 4-5 years and a few impactful series defining performances abroad, he would undoubtedly end as an ATG imo.

Same goes for Ashwin. In fact 2-3 years is good enough for him.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The issue with the peaks is that;

1. It is arbitrary
2. It hides the crap

IIRC there was a period where Imran averaged 40+ with the bat and 19 with the ball.

And then Mushtaq Mohammed is there who scored a hundred and took five wickets in the same match against WI. Beat that for a peak. (As I said, length of the peak is arbitrary, even can be one match).

My take: Peaks are way, way, way overrated.
You may or may not rate cricketers based on peaks, but in and of themselves peaks are very interesting to look at and marvel at. Looking at peaks of likes of Botham, Waqar, Ponting etc. does tell you something about their utter dominance for a period.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
@Lillian Thomson has I think posted in the past that Botham was the most talented cricketer ever, or could have been. Something like that. You see those numbers and it's not hard to understand why such a thing would be said.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This is the second Golden age of allrounders after the Imran-Botham-Hadlee-Kapil era post which allrounders got exclusive to SA. To rate the all-rounders right now, I will go

1. Jadeja
2. Stokes
3. Shakib
4. Holder
5. Ashwin
6. Jamieson

The top 3 can/will end up as ATG. Also, there is potential in Green, Sam Curran, Mulder, Mayers and Mehedi to get into that list.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is the second Golden age of allrounders after the Imran-Botham-Hadlee-Kapil era post which allrounders got exclusive to SA. To rate the all-rounders right now, I will go

1. Jadeja
2. Stokes
3. Shakib
4. Holder
5. Ashwin
6. Jamieson

The top 3 can/will end up as ATG. Also, there is potential in Green, Sam Curran, Mulder, Mayers and Mehedi to get into that list.
What a time to be alive ?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant

1. Jadeja
2. Stokes
3. Shakib
4. Holder
5. Ashwin
6. Jamieson

Not sold on Stokes. He's not bowling at all these days.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stokes bowled heaps in the Ashes last year (ie only series that really matters)

He's a medium pace swing bowler, wouldn't expect him to bowl a lot of overs in the subcontinent

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Stokes bowled heaps in the Ashes last year (ie only series that really matters)

He's a medium pace swing bowler, wouldn't expect him to bowl a lot of overs in the subcontinent
However Ashwin, Shakib and Jadeja are expected to bowl and bat in every condition. Odd it is . . .

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Shakib is an obvious talent but, with the bat, he has failed to be overly impressive against Australia, India and England (averaging less than 30 against all 3).
From the bowling perspective, I'm a little perplexed by his figures against other sub-continent nations (Pakistan ave 63.9; India 42.8 and Sri Lanka 41.1) Against the rest he has been very impressive with ball in hand.