• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes, Ashwin or Shakib?

cnerd123

likes this
We all know how gun AshWIN and Ben Chokes are, but people sleep on how good Shakib is.

Shakib would walk into any test side in the world ATM. Better than Ali/Rashid, better than Mishra/Jayant/Nohit, better than O Keefe/Lyon/MMarsh, better than Craig/Santner/Sodhi, better than anyone the West Indies or Zimbabwe have, better than any of the second-spinners Sri Lanka or Pakistan have, better than Maharaj/Shamsi. Literally makes any Test XI in the worl

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Who I want to pick first in my team outside SC? Stokes.

Who I want to pick first in my team in SC? Ashwin.

Who I want to pick as the #6 or 7 when I need both a second spinner and a top order batsman? Shakib.

Stokes the best bat of the 3, Ash the best bowler and Shakib the best rounded allrounder in terms of offering enough with both bat and ball.

But just ranking by value to the side irrespective of conditions (or considering the ideal test match wicket/conditions) , I would go Stokes, Ashwin, Shakib. But honestly, I will be glad in a draft if two guys before me took Stokes and Ash but I still got to pick Shakib.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Statistically, Shakib is the most balanced of the 3 and he has to "carry" his team more than Stokes or Ashwin do. He is probably the most likely of the three to score a century and take a 5-er in the same match.

Stokes is a bit like Flintoff, a player who can produce inspirational moments, a stunning catch, a run-out, break a crucial partnership, counter-attack with a quick 50, someone who can push an already very good team to greatness.

Ashwin is India's MVP, and right now there is no player in the world I would swap him for. He has taken up Kumble's role of being the consistent match-winner in home conditions, and the batting is a huge bonus. The number of 5-ers and MoS awards he has already bagged in his short career is amazing.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The big man just gets better and better. How good was CDG's cameo today (apart from the last shot)?!!? Beefy Botham, eat your heart out son.

Flem274*

123/5
the textbook backfoot punch straight down the ground followed by the lol swat fetched from wide of off were the Greatest Two Consecutive Shots of all time.

Fact,

Blocky

Banned
Stokes is beyond comparison at the moment, does it in all conditions which puts him ahead of the sub continent home town spinners brigade, Shakib being second best, some of his batting has been amazing and he's one of the few left armers who seems to be winning matches at the moment.

Mike5181

International Captain
It's a shame Shakib plays so few tests. He's played like a third of the games someone like Moeen Ali has in the last three years.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Shakib's an ATG afaic.
Shakib will never considered in the same bracket because of the team that he plays for. There are a lot of practical reasons for that - the number of tests he will play each year will always be significantly lower than anyone else, especially Ashwin or Stokes, so he will get noticed far less, his opportunities to put up performances would be far less plus it will also hinder his growth as a cricketer if he plays 4 test matches a year.

Secondly, on account of playing for a lesser team that is not necessarily well represented when it comes to these debates of discussions, (don't expect Chappell and Warne on C9 to reference Shakib anytime soon or Sky Sports to remember Shakib exists when making a Current World XI), he will always remain an afterthought and a forgotten player.

Last edited: