• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Waugh

Days of Grace

International Captain
Definitely top 50 test batsman of all time. His average slightly flatters him because of all the not outs but he faced the highest quality of bowling in the 90s when he was at his peak.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rated 19 in the CW rankings a year or so ago.

A fine batsman but the author of some of the most tediously boring cricket books.
I agree with that. Loved his books as a kid but revisiting them as an adult he comes across as really self important and pseudo smart

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Tough as nails and obviously great, but either limited technically, or chose to be limited technically.

I remember enjoying Mark bat a whole lot more than his ‘older’ brother.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
A top player who made so many important runs.

Couldn't be doing with all his mental deterioration bollocks but as gutsy a player as I've seen.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Steve is a tremendous example of maximising ability.

Saying that, as well as having an outstanding approach to batting and to winning, he had an ability to line up a ball early and get his feet into position quickly, and was a very classical batsman.

If I had to pick someone to bat for someone's life, Waugh would probably be the first name into my head.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve is a tremendous example of maximising ability.

Saying that, as well as having an outstanding approach to batting and to winning, he had an ability to line up a ball early and get his feet into position quickly, and was a very classical batsman.

If I had to pick someone to bat for someone's life, Waugh would probably be the first name into my head.
I want Iguodala.

Flem274*

123/5
Steve Waugh was incredibly talented. He removed shots from his game because it maximised his output. He sacrificed style for the team cause.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
He wasn't a player who would have stood out as a great great talent as a youngster. He wasn't someone who came into international expectation of being the next greg chappell.

He continued to develop his game to make him the most professional player.

He wouldn't have the ability to play a ball late like a craftsman like Mark. He didn't have anything like the touch of an Azzarhudin.

That's why I say he made the most (a huge amount) of his ability. But I think he is an all time great without question.

Last edited: