• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc, chameera, amir, rabada or Joseph

cnerd123

likes this
Tbf Chameera probably doesn't belong on this list, and it might be too soon for Joeseph.

Rabada is a gun tho.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf Chameera probably doesn't belong on this list, and it might be too soon for Joeseph.

Rabada is a gun tho.
There are probably dozens, if not more fast bowlers in Australia, England & South Africa better/with more potential than Chameera & Joseph

Neither of which would even get a game in the Sheffield Shield. Putting them on the same list as Starc & Amir is itstl

cnerd123

likes this
You're criminally undersellig Joseph. Kid was the best fast bowler in the U-19 WC. If Australia had dozens of kids with as much potential as him, it sure was a strange tactic to leave them out of the squad.

Chameera is debatable too. I think we all like him more for his name and the fact that he's another quirky young raw quick from Sri Lanka than we do for his talent; but talent he does posses. Guys like Cummins and Curran probably better shouts than Chameera.

Tom Flint

International Regular
All five are expected to go on to lead their countries attack In the coming years. So comparing each ones potential is legit. No-one is saying chameera is better than amir. I don't recall any other Sri Lankan barring malinga bowling spells of 90mph so yes I am genuinely excited about watching his progress.

TheJediBrah

You're criminally undersellig Joseph. Kid was the best fast bowler in the U-19 WC. If Australia had dozens of kids with as much potential as him, it sure was a strange tactic to leave them out of the squad.

Chameera is debatable too. I think we all like him more for his name and the fact that he's another quirky young raw quick from Sri Lanka than we do for his talent; but talent he does posses. Guys like Cummins and Curran probably better shouts than Chameera.
You're criminally overselling him. There's probably kids playing 2nd XI grade cricket with just as much potential as him.

There's been literally dozens of young fast bowlers from West Indies who get hyped like crazy just because they happen to be from the West Indies and they all end up ****

All five are expected to go on to lead their countries attack In the coming years. So comparing each ones potential is legit. No-one is saying chameera is better than amir. I don't recall any other Sri Lankan barring malinga bowling spells of 90mph so yes I am genuinely excited about watching his progress.
Fair enough. "Potential" is impossible to measure tbh.

Tom Flint

International Regular
And btw Australia's complete bias towards the Sheffield shield as if it's a few rungs above any other domestic league in the world is laughable. Anyone would think you had a conveyor belt of gun seamers waiting to burst onto the scene and take over the world when in fact a couple of retirements and an injury to starc and up steps Jackson bird with his 80mph dibbly dobblies

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

And btw Australia's complete bias towards the Sheffield shield as if it's a few rungs above any other domestic league in the world is laughable. Anyone would think you had a conveyor belt of gun seamers waiting to burst onto the scene and take over the world when in fact a couple of retirements and and injury to starc and up steps Jackson bird with his 80mph dibbly dobblies
No one said anything about it being better than any other domestic leagues (it probably is though, and no doubt more than a few rungs above County cricket), just saying that there are players you mentioned in the OP that wouldn't get a game in Sheffield Shield sides.

And Jackson Bird would be a mainstay in any other International side in the world, except maybe England, he'd be in and out.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Haha a mainstay in south Africa's attack, are you sure? Or do you mean a mainstay whilst they have a few others out injured? He wouldn't get in Pakistanis team, definately not 'in and out' of England's either. In and out of the squad maybe. Not sure he'd be first choice for nz either, I liked the look of bracewell and Wagner is better than bird IMO. Although to be fair bird is about 7th choice for Australia and is only playing because of injuries but the fact is the Sheffield shield can't be way ahead of other domestic leagues if bird is the seventh best seamer in the competition.

TheJediBrah

Haha a mainstay in south Africa's attack, are you sure? Or do you mean a mainstay whilst they have a few others out injured? He wouldn't get in Pakistanis team, definately not 'in and out' of England's either. In and out of the squad maybe. Not sure he'd be first choice for nz either, I liked the look of bracewell and Wagner is better than bird IMO. Although to be fair bird is about 7th choice for Australia and is only playing because of injuries but the fact is the Sheffield shield can't be way ahead of other domestic leagues if bird is the seventh best seamer in the competition.
lol you're entitled to your opinion

I'm actually surprised to find out that Bird has far superior statistics to Broad or Anderson (the 2 English bowlers I would rate as at least equal to Bird) and in a stronger competition.

Stats aren't everything but it's surprising nonetheless

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
No one said anything about it being better than any other domestic leagues (it probably is though, and no doubt more than a few rungs above County cricket), just saying that there are players you mentioned in the OP that wouldn't get a game in Sheffield Shield sides.

And Jackson Bird would be a mainstay in any other International side in the world, except maybe England, he'd be in and out.
Chameera surely would get in. Not many can hit 150 kph regularly. Bowls decent line and has a good bouncer. Joseph is a work in progress so his case is not far fetched either. You can argue about throwing their names with Amir/Starc but can't agree with the way you are dismissing them as average Joe.

For the record Amir is better than Starc (please forgive me thy Lord)

TheJediBrah

Chameera surely would get in. Not many can hit 150 kph regularly. Bowls decent line and has a good bouncer. Joseph is a work in progress so his case is not far fetched either. You can argue about throwing their names with Amir/Starc but can't agree with the way you are dismissing them as average Joe.

Amir isn't half as good as Starc

91Jmay

International Coach
Amir is a far superior red ball bowler to Starc. Laughable comment from the bloke who only watches Australian cricket and then feels fit to through around ridiculous assertions. Steve Smith the top 5 T20 bat in the world springs to mind. Barely a top 5 T20 bat in his own team.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

But would Amir make it to a Sheffield side ahead of Bird?

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Amir is a far superior red ball bowler to Starc. Laughable comment from the bloke who only watches Australian cricket and then feels fit to through around ridiculous assertions. Steve Smith the top 5 T20 bat in the world springs to mind. Barely a top 5 T20 bat in his own team.
He also said that Broad and Anderson are the two English bowlers he would rate at least equal to Bird :laugh:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
First-class Bowling For Each Team by Jackson Bird

Australia 25.28
Australia A 39.50
Australians 27.16
Hampshire 39.73
Tasmania 19.95

Incontrovertible proof that County Cricket is the highest standard of cricket going (if you want to grossly misuse stats).