• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spark is wrong

Spark

Global Moderator
Didn't a few people write really sincere, thoughtful posts about respecting differences of opinion or what not? Was SS one of those?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

ashley bach

International Captain
lol yep, SS was caught hook, line and sinker. Genuinely a great moment

Also one of the CW greats tbh. Love him to bits. Same with Hoe.

SS rarely posts these days and I haven't seen Hoe on here in a long while. Place is worse for their absence.
Would be an interesting read, how to get access?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I rememeber getting a few serious responses where I took C_C's analysis of Sehwag and what made him so good, and then replaced every mention of "Sehwag" with "Afridi"

I forget who it was, but someone saying "wait that sounds like an analysis of Sehwag's batting, not Afridi's!" was the best

Spark

Global Moderator
I think it was much much funnier in context too, because of the hype and build up that surrounded the whole thing. I was only lurking here at the time, I hadn't registered, but that whole countdown was quite an "event" so to have it pranked so hard was pretty gold.

Alas you definitely couldn't get away with it today and it wouldn't be half as funny even if you did. The forum of the culture has changed a lot since then, mirroring the general irony poisoning of the internet at large. When @smash84 tried to do the same thing a few years later, way too many people thought it would be funny to do their own pranks, and ended up all doing exactly the same prank, which ended up ruining the whole thing.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Alas you definitely couldn't get away with it today and it wouldn't be half as funny even if you did. The forum of the culture has changed a lot since then, mirroring the general irony poisoning of the internet at large. When @smash84 tried to do the same thing a few years later, way too many people thought it would be funny to do their own pranks, and ended up all doing exactly the same prank, which ended up ruining the whole thing.
*looks at my username to see if there are any letters you could impersonate with "|"*
?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As Spark said, the countdown had been fantastic, and @The Sean had done a remarkable job putting it together, including some great posts setting out the careers of the players. Everyone was genuinely interested in it and waited for a new post or posts every day or so.

Then this dropped...

The CW 50 - No.8

Spark

Global Moderator
Did anyone learn what happened to Matt79? He was a good egg and it's still kind of disconcerting that he simply vanished so abruptly with no indication that he was getting bored of the forum or anything.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He used to regularly have long spells away from the forum (I say long, say 6-9 months). My guess (and hope) was that he took one of them and just never felt inclined to come back.

I did have an email address for him, but it was one he used specifically for CW related stuff.

Hopefully he rocks up in the middle of a match thread and starts dishing out infractions Fusion-style

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did anyone learn what happened to Matt79? He was a good egg and it's still kind of disconcerting that he simply vanished so abruptly with no indication that he was getting bored of the forum or anything.
Yeah I often think the same thing. He's a terrific bloke.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think it was much much funnier in context too, because of the hype and build up that surrounded the whole thing. I was only lurking here at the time, I hadn't registered, but that whole countdown was quite an "event" so to have it pranked so hard was pretty gold.

Did a lot of people actually try to pull the same prank off? I can maybe remember one person who tried, if that.

smash84

The Tiger King
Didn't everyone send in lists with Bradman at 8 or something
No, there were some clowns who purposely didn't put Bradman in the list or put him at some low number which led him to lose the first spot to Garry Sobers. It wasn't a large number of people either IIRC, but at number 1 and 2, a few bad eggs spoiled the ranking. Ruined, which was otherwise, a pretty good sequel to the original list.