• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Tuskers. Wow. Where to start. No Pite van Biljon and Stefan Tait recovering from injuries. Like with 4-day cricket (Ben Compton) they've got in a player from the outside in Ruben Trumpelmann. They always going to lose their best talents to the Dolphins or lately Titans but they really should have got Ntando Zuma, Thabiso Ndlela and Bryn Brokensha involved even if just out of school. Think Ross Boast followed his bro to Tuks/Titans. Didn't know their great uncle was Vince vd Bijl.

Screenshot_2024-03-07-09-48-12-98_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

SeamUp

International Coach
Bedingham available for WP which is nice.

20240307_094036.jpg

Seriously strong Lions group.

20240307_094029.jpg

Warriors won't be going short :) but former SA U19 players George van Heerden and Aphiwe Mnyanda are involved.

20240307_093955.jpg

Dendarii

International Debutant
I don't understand why he is in direct competition with Verreynne instead of being seen as a batter.
I could understand Conrad's responses if he was specifically asked whether Verreynne or Rickelton would keep, but that doesn't appear to be what's happening. What comes across is a preference Stubbs to Rickelton, and while there's nothing wrong with Stubbs, Rickelton surely has the better first-class record. I wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

But at least he doesn't think Jansen is a 7, so hopefully we've seen the end of that.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting comments I thought.

Appreciative of what we got but also wanting more.

We spoke about it a few pages back. We now sort of know Conrad's psyche. Wonder if this effects say a Beyers Swanepoel?

Probably say Lizaad Williams and Daryn Dupavillon only ones with any FC record that has a bit of pace.

Screenshot_2024-03-06-09-06-38-32_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2024-03-06-09-06-48-76_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Sikimandka ..

We spoke about it a few pages back. We now sort of know Conrad's psyche. Wonder if this effects say a Beyers Swanepoel?

Probably say Lizaad Williams and Daryn Dupavillon only ones with any FC record that has a bit of pace.

View attachment 39528

View attachment 39529
Probably how he chose most for the nz tour, from guys who played county cricket. I am sure someone like kwezi from u19s will be up there plus sipimandla is pace etc.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant

View attachment 39528

View attachment 39529
I find this comment by Conrad to be incredibly lazy in assessment..

You don't look at the final and make a general statement about the fast bowling stocks in the country when there are mitigating circumstances such as players prioritising T20 leagues, injuries etc ..

Rabada , Nortje, Jansen, Ngidi , Coetzee and Burger are six examples of fast bowlers who can bowl 140+ , that's perfectly fine and more than enough depth for a national team ..

There's also Kwena Maphaka coming through , Baartman and Dupavillon hit 140+ regularly in the SA T20 league , then you have guys like Eathan Bosch and Beyers Swanepoel who bowl around 130-140 with great accuracy and skill ..
There are others too with genuine pace ..

That's perfectly fine.He should be focusing more on getting results because he hasn't been impressive so far as coach.

Bahseph

State Captain
There hasn't been much fanfare for the CSA20. I went to the Dolphins vs Warriors game at Kingsmead and there was a stark contrast in atmosphere to the SA20 just two months prior.

Something I have noticed is the broadcast quality is also significantly inferior to the SA20 in terms of production value.

SeamUp

International Coach
There hasn't been much fanfare for the CSA20. I went to the Dolphins vs Warriors game at Kingsmead and there was a stark contrast in atmosphere to the SA20 just two months prior.

Something I have noticed is the broadcast quality is also significantly inferior to the SA20 in terms of production value.
It is evidently poorer in all aspects. Some of the TV umpiring in last night's TV game was a joke.

As long as some new talent can be found for SA20 it's just a feeder.

Great seeing a Yorkshire academy at Newlands for last night's game giving it a real good atmosphere lol

Jono Bird, Jiveshan Pillay & Okuhle Cele have put their names forward so far. One or two others as well.

Bahseph

State Captain
It is evidently poorer in all aspects. Some of the TV umpiring in last night's TV game was a joke.

As long as some new talent can be found for SA20 it's just a feeder.

Great seeing a Yorkshire academy at Newlands for last night's game giving it a real good atmosphere lol

Jono Bird, Jiveshan Pillay & Okuhle Cele have put their names forward so far. One or two others as well.
First time seeing Jiveshan Pillay on Sunday for me and he looked a good player. I was surprised at how poor his FC stats are.

I must say that watching Marco Jansen in person really is a treat. He just stands out as a special talent. Being 2m talk helps as well!

SeamUp

International Coach
First time seeing Jiveshan Pillay on Sunday for me and he looked a good player. I was surprised at how poor his FC stats are.

I must say that watching Marco Jansen in person really is a treat. He just stands out as a special talent. Being 2m talk helps as well!
Hopefully Jiveshan keeps improving. Robbie P might have had a poor tournament for MI Cape Town but he seems to get players from potential to performing for international recognition for the Warriors. Pillay actually opened with Breetzke in the U19 WC with van Tonder 3. Looks like Jean Du Plessis who was at 5 is set to be a Div 1 player next season's. Think Hermann Rolfes was at 4 and looks to be getting his cricket on track too.

Marco is going to be a serious player when everything clicks more consistently and he is well on his way to that. Now for him to add some of Gerald Coetzee's mongrel to that 2m+ :D

SeamUp

International Coach
Very frustrating the Titans keep picking Corbin Bosch. Tried to reverse lap Rabada to win off the last ball last night and didn't pull it off but his bowling isn't all that and we missing out on seeing how Matthew Boast is progressing.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Very frustrating the Titans keep picking Corbin Bosch. Tried to reverse lap Rabada to win off the last ball last night and didn't pull it off but his bowling isn't all that and we missing out on seeing how Matthew Boast is progressing.
Sometimes it seems legacy kids get preferential treatment I stand corrected.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I just realised something about these Africa Games going on currently, they are being viewed as official international fixtures by the ICC.

Which means that the university themed squad which was picked , where most of the cricketers have little to no experience at domestic level have officially been capped by South Africa ..

George Van Heerden has become the first South African player to score a hundred on T20I debut. In fact his 107* v Ghana is the highest score on T20I debut by a cricketer from a Test playing nation. Previous best was 98* by Ricky Ponting vs NZ in 2005.

Last edited:

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I just realised something about these Africa Games going on currently, they are being viewed as official international fixtures by the ICC.

Which means that the university themed squad which was picked , where most of the cricketers have little to no experience at domestic level have officially been capped by South Africa ..

George Van Heerden has become the first South African player to score a hundred on T20I debut. In fact his 107* v Ghana is the highest score on T20I debut by a cricketers from a Test playing nation. Previous best was 98* by Ricky Ponting vs NZ in 2005.
It seems like CSA no longer values the Protea cap then brother, all the other African teams have players who have some international experience where as the SA side have players who have barely played professional cricket in their lives. Its pretty poor organisation from CSA and reflects badly on SA cricket.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
It seems like CSA no longer values the Protea cap then brother, all the other African teams have players who have some international experience where as the SA side have players who have barely played professional cricket in their lives. Its pretty poor organisation from CSA and reflects badly on SA cricket.
Ja, unfortunately these Games clash with the CSA T20 challenge so a lot of players who could have been eligible to play missed out, however I do agree it does expose the lack of organisation by CSA .
Internationally recognised fixtures (No matter the opposition) should be getting a much better squad than the one SA has put out 100%.

Bahseph

State Captain

George Van Heerden has become the first South African player to score a hundred on T20I debut. In fact his 107* v Ghana is the highest score on T20I debut by a cricketers from a Test playing nation. Previous best was 98* by Ricky Ponting vs NZ in 2005.
Wow this is actually quite wild!

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

George Van Heerden has become the first South African player to score a hundred on T20I debut. In fact his 107* v Ghana is the highest score on T20I debut by a cricketer from a Test playing nation. Previous best was 98* by Ricky Ponting vs NZ in 2005.

Came here to ask if any of them won't disappear without a trace post the games.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Namibia and Zimbabwe also seem to be missing their big names. So this could have been a deliberate decision to level the playing field a bit. CSA were referring to the teams they sent as SA Emerging, which suggests that they didn't consider the matches to be full internationals, but it seems like they may be the only ones.

ataraxia

International Coach

Yeah same sort of thing happened when Pakistan appeared in the Asian Games during WC prep. At least then it was a B team rather than a V team.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Namibia and Zimbabwe also seem to be missing their big names. So this could have been a deliberate decision to level the playing field a bit. CSA were referring to the teams they sent as SA Emerging, which suggests that they didn't consider the matches to be full internationals, but it seems like they may be the only ones.
They still have players who have been capped at international level and are regulars at their domestic level ..None of our squad have played more than 10 T20 domestic games yet they are SA international players lol .