• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
He should be batting 5/6 for proteas. let him get 20 innings in , in all formats then decide,
You don't get a lot of time to bat at no.5 or no.6 in a white ball game ..

Need to look at the bigger picture , for Mulder it's just a question of confidence..All rounders thrive on responsibility..That's how we used to handle all rounders back in the day ..

Need some runs ? Go and bat higher up the order ..I'm telling you once he gets that first 50 out the way the floodgates will open ..

SeamUp

International Coach
I've watched quite a bit of Mulder lately, albeit in another format (SA20), and he just looks so much more relaxed when not playing an international. He is still in his mid 20s so we can hope he sorts it out soon.
100%

Just looks so tentative in test cricket. I was hoping his Leics spell would help but he looked a different player in the SA20 after being left out early in those 2 games. Oozed confidence and never looked back.

With his bowling, I don't think he will rip through unless there is movement but his bowling is a bonus. Nice one to have as we don't have guys scoring FC 100s like him batting in the top 6 & can offer a 4th seam bowling option.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And yet Mulders bowling has been pretty good at Test level. Its his batting that he has struggled with. You have to wonder about the Test team environment though... I`ve complained a long time about the fact that Mulder has never been given a long run. Plays one or two test and then gets dropped. in his 12 tests over 4 years, he has played 2 Tests against SL, WI sand Bang. In the other 6 series he has been part of has only played one of the Tests. How do you feel comfortable at the crease, if you basically know a single failure results in you being dropped? Unfortunately his position is one of those that is easy to discard to ensure fulfilling of the quota.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
And yet Mulders bowling has been pretty good at Test level. Its his batting that he has struggled with. You have to wonder about the Test team environment though... I`ve complained a long time about the fact that Mulder has never been given a long run. Plays one or two test and then gets dropped. in his 12 tests over 4 years, he has played 2 Tests against SL, WI sand Bang. In the other 6 series he has been part of has only played one of the Tests. How do you feel comfortable at the crease, if you basically know a single failure results in you being dropped? Unfortunately his position is one of those that is easy to discard to ensure fulfilling of the quota.
But De Swardt got a 50 in his 2nd test match , Mulder has not hit a 50 in 6 years of international cricket, maybe it would be easier for the selectors to give Mulder a run if he showed them something at international level which he hasn't. Unfortunately teams outside the Big 3 don't get a lot of Tests so you need mentally tough players..

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
But De Swardt got a 50 in his 2nd test match , Mulder has not hit a 50 in 6 years of international cricket, maybe it would be easier for the selectors to give Mulder a run if he showed them something at international level which he hasn't. Unfortunately teams outside the Big 3 don't get a lot of Tests so you need mentally tough players..
De Swardt is irrelevant discussion to Mulder... I am talking how Mulder was treated.

Playing Mulder for more than 1 test match in two or three consecutive series would have been a sensible move. He has played 12 matches of the 34 SA played since his debut. If he had played 12 consecutive Test matches and failed... sure; but to be pulled into the team ad-hock, left on the bench (often for non cricketing reasons) and then told to just perform in a random match and not expect a player to get nervous is just stupid. And we complaining about what was a very young player, when the entire batting line-up has failed to score any runs of significance for years. Giving Mulder an extended chance is not an unreasonable expectation.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
De Swardt is irrelevant discussion to Mulder... I am talking how Mulder was treated.

Playing Mulder for more than 1 test match in two or three consecutive series would have been a sensible move. He has played 12 matches of the 34 SA played since his debut. If he had played 12 consecutive Test matches and failed... sure; but to be pulled into the team ad-hock, left on the bench (often for non cricketing reasons) and then told to just perform in a random match and not expect a player to get nervous is just stupid. And we complaining about what was a very young player, when the entire batting line-up has failed to score any runs of significance for years. Giving Mulder an extended chance is not an unreasonable expectation.
I dont think its irrelevant cause De Swardt is a batting all rounder just like Mulder and was put in a far worse situation , playing with a C team who the majority of will never play Test cricket again , yet he has a higher score than Mulder ..
Marco Jansen is a bowling all rounder has a higher score than Mulder , Phehlukwayo is a bowling all rounder in and out the team , has a higher score than Mulder ..even Dwaine Pretorious has a higher international score than Mulder ..

Sure not being a regular is far from ideal , but the only way you become a regular is by putting in a performance which he hasn't, I don't think Mulder is stupid, by now if he does not know that he needs a score to justify his selection then there is no point in picking him . Also teams like Bangladesh , WI and sadly my team (Sri Lanka) , we are not top 4 test sides yet ..If you can't score even a 50 against our seamers when they visit SA ..How on Earth is he going to score runs against Aus, Ind, Eng forget about away from home ..That is also what selectors must be thinking ..That's why they tried Jansen at No.7 because he has shown more with the bat than Mulder , who only bowls low 130's so has to be productive with the bat.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Waking up to the news that Mike Procter has passed ..
Fantastic human being , great servant to South African cricket .

A true giant of SA and world cricket not only as a cricketer but as an administrator , coach and official. RIP

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Colin Bryden confirmed to me that Carlstein and Macaulay past on and now with the sad news of Procter only 13 remain alive.
Can also just say. It's absolutely disgraceful how ex South African players are treated by the board and unions ..

Mike Procter was the greatest Natal player ever, he should have a stand named after him in Kingsmead really.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
You don't get a lot of time to bat at no.5 or no.6 in a white ball game ..

Need to look at the bigger picture , for Mulder it's just a question of confidence..All rounders thrive on responsibility..That's how we used to handle all rounders back in the day ..

Need some runs ? Go and bat higher up the order ..I'm telling you once he gets that first 50 out the way the floodgates will open ..
I meant in tests but not a bad idea for white ball.

SeamUp

International Coach
2020 U19 CWC. They getting to 22/23 so you would think their paths should be set.

Those in 1st division squads.
Bird (WP) LHB SLC (scored 3 top tier centuries- only J Hermann, D Smith, Brevis & M Prince younger have done that)
Parsons (Natal) LHB SLA (scored 2 top tier centuries-same as above) SA20 with DSG
Lees (Northerns) LHB ROS - just getting into Titans squad but yet to make debut
Brett (Northerns) RFM RHB - impressive start to his first season
Modimokoane (Natal) ROS - got the odd game since moving from North West
Coetzee (Northern) RF RHB - Protea
Cloete (Boland) RFM - would have thought he would have played more for Boland
M Khumalo (KZN Inland) RMF - horrific attack in England on him but doing well in todays game

2nd division squads
Karelse (SWD) LHB
van Vuuren (Free State) LMF RHB - signed in the SA20 by Pretoria Capitals
Moletsane (SWD) ROS RHB

Those not with squads are Manje (rookie contract but playing Gauteng colts), Cotani (lost contract), Louw, Beaufort (moved to Free State from EP like van Vuuren but not played yet).

Last edited:

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Kyle Verreynne
Not Out

seems better to bat him at 5, i mean if you go de zorzi, markram, Beddingham, bavuma, kyle, Rickleton, 7mulder/de swart? 8. jansen 9 maharaj 10, rabada 11,nortjie/ngidi/coetzee/burger/spinner? depending where they play aka harmer/piedt

SeamUp

International Coach
Kyle Verreynne
Not Out

seems better to bat him at 5, i mean if you go de zorzi, markram, Beddingham, bavuma, kyle, Rickleton, 7mulder/de swart? 8. jansen 9 maharaj 10, rabada 11,nortjie/ngidi/coetzee/burger/spinner? depending where they play aka harmer/piedt
There are a lot of people ready to throw Verreynne away. I'm not there yet.

Hundreds today for Daniel Smith (WP), Lesego Senokwane (NW), Matthew Breetzke (EP) & Tristan Stubbs (EP). Double hundy for the latter.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I rate Daniel Smith and he can keep as well, we have a lot of potential batsmen who can keep wicket as well properly.
That was a trend I noticed a while ago, and I do wonder if young batsmen are being encouraged to give the gloves a go so that they've got another string to their bow to potentially aid their selection. They don't necessarily have to be a full-time keeper, but being able to keep in an emergency just might get them the nod over someone who can't keep at all.

It can make selection a bit trickier though. Ideally you'd want the best keeper to be selected but if someone's got quite as good a keeper but is a better batsman then would the gains in potential runs scored make up for being poorer behind the stumps?

SeamUp

International Coach
I rate Daniel Smith and he can keep as well, we have a lot of potential batsmen who can keep wicket as well properly.
WP producing some decent talent recently and keeping them is a good change. Galiem, Ntini (what's happened to him?), Smith, Cohen & Hamza left now, Bedders left and came back & Verreynne only one to stick around the whole time.

Agreed on Smith, very Puttick-esque & has long known how to score big hundreds. Funnily enough Puttick kept a bit as well.

Recently WP got through the schools system. Not sure how far James & Whitehead will go from last SAU19 team.

Smith
Bird
Prince
Kaplan
Mpongwana
Bayoumy
Waqu

Plus also, not sure if you know much but Wesley Bedja looks a find from club cricket? Opening bowler. 5-for last week.