• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Warriors seem very light of bowling...
Because you guys keep getting yours taken ha ! Bowling all round seems massively depleted. No Sipamla, E Bosch, Baartman, Boast (irritatingly).

I see Jean Du Plessis is playing for Boland. Not sure on the rules there with SWD in Division 2. Obviously he deserves a Div 1 contract next season like Kaber.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Oldest I believe is Ronald Draper , still going strong at 97 ..
When he played Dudley Nourse was captain of SA incredibly.
He's not just the oldest living South African test player, he's the oldest overall.

I haven't checked, but I would think that a fair number of those who played in the final series before isolation are still alive. They'd be in their 70s/80s now, but that age is very reachable these days.

SeamUp

International Coach
We seem to regularly have the oldest living test player. Pretty sure Norman Gordon became the oldest ever.

Those still alive.Screenshot_2024-02-14-16-43-49-64_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1.jpg

SeamUp

International Coach
Disappointing day in PE for de Zorzi, Verreynne, Hermann, Breetzke & Stubbs. 3rd innings already starting.

Bryce Parsons looks like he is putting his hand up to say I'm the next young batsman to watch in the system. 191* off 178. Thought it would be Bird but he has gone off the boil.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
The difference in rugby is that a real serious effort was made at grassroots level... along with things like the 7s game that brought in lots of players of colour. And rugby had more monies to accomplish that. What Rassie did was shake up the top level to get those players into the game and shut the top level administrators up.

The failure of cricket to work at grass root levels right from the outset. They sat on their laurels of already being a game played across demographic populations and not hated, (like rugby was), back in 94'. And rather than using that they sat around twiddling their proverbial thumbs; And then later CSA was hit by gross misgovernance as a direct result of the political issues and interference. Recovering from this is going to take a colossal effort. Because it will take 10 years if they start right now and do that work at school and club level. While simultaneously fixing the FC system.
I get you but look when AC was bok coach until 2018 boks were hopeless and he picked maybe 4-5 pocs, Rassie came straight in the numbers went to 8 and over on merit and the performances improved as well. I know Rassie headhunted Kolisi , am , mampimp from their eastern cape days when he was dor/head of of the mobi unit for example he eyed them out and made sure they got to the top level. Is anyone doing that for the pocs batsmen in cricket? like Richard Sentwlane he is a hope when we need 3-5 options not one or 2.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
I suppose the interesting thing will be, what the futures of that batting line-up is in limited overs cricket. De Kock (T20s), Hendricks (both), Bavuma & Vd Dussen (both 50 overs). Markram, Klaasen & Miller are the locks.

De Zorzi, Breetzke, Brevis, Verreynne, Stubbs, Ferreira all in recent limited overs squads in the last year. Rickelton now into the equation. Hermann too.
Is it not time yet to move on from Klaasens and Miller in the one day game and start building for next world cup. Bavuma in the t20s should be moved on also, Hendriecks I would move on from in both formats personally. The rest are there there abouts who you have mentioned.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
We desperately need to identify an all rounder this year as well. Hopefully Wiaan Mulder can make the step up this year..

I would also try to phase out squad players like Hendricks in odi cricket , he'll be 37 by 2027 the year we host the WC, better off giving De Zorzi a bit of a run ..I'd phase out Bavuma, Miller, Rassie and Klaasen by the end of the Champions Trophy in 2025..
De Swart has shown some abilities in nz I think he can do a job in all 3 formats if given a chance, likewise David Bedingham and than Dane Piedt can still do the job in tests, and van tonder has shown me some test potential the rest try hard but besides maybe pattersen and mpongi who didnt get a chance the rest are filler ins for the t20 missing proteas.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Disappointing day in PE for de Zorzi, Verreynne, Hermann, Breetzke & Stubbs. 3rd innings already starting.

Bryce Parsons looks like he is putting his hand up to say I'm the next young batsman to watch in the system. 191* off 178. Thought it would be Bird but he has gone off the boil.
Thought I was the only one who rated Bird is he injured? I rate Daniel Smith also, Gavin Kaplan is quite unlucky he makes runs whenever he plays.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
I
So after this debacle of a Test series.... from a batting perspective Bedingham needs to be kept around. The rest need to go find some decent cricket practise and really stand up to be selected again. Just not been impressed. I would like to have a look at Breetzke and Hermann. Would Stubbs have a real shot at the longer format?

Aiden Markram
Tony de Zorzi
David Bedingham
Temba Bavuma
Ryan Rickelton
Kyle Verreynne
Ruan De Swardt/Wiaan Mulder
Marco Jansen
Keshav Maharaj
Kagiso Rabada
Anrich Nortje/Gerald Coetzee

The problem is I don't like Markram as an opener (prefer him at 4), I want to replace Bavuma. I`m not convinced about Brand coming in. And Rickelton seems to be out of favour? And since none of the other prospects have shown anything who would you select?
thought Van Tonder has shown something whether its enough is another story hopefully he puts on some runs tonight/tomorrow.

SeamUp

International Coach
Is it not time yet to move on from Klaasens and Miller in the one day game and start building for next world cup. Bavuma in the t20s should be moved on also, Hendriecks I would move on from in both formats personally. The rest are there there abouts who you have mentioned.
Right now I think those two are among the best in the world in their positions in white ball and could still make the next world cup. Ball is in their court. Less convinced about Bavuma & Vd Dussen making it.

SeamUp

International Coach
I

thought Van Tonder has shown something whether its enough is another story hopefully he puts on some runs tonight/tomorrow.
Out in 2 different ways to the short ball isn't a good look. I know it's cut throat but he had the opportunity to make a play. Short-ball was Hamza's problem first time around too.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Yup. It was Wagner too.
Honestly I didn't expect such stupidity from Hamza ..It's one thing getting out to good bowling , but none of Hamza's innings have made sense , firstly if you are going to play high risk shots your SR must reflect that otherwise you have no business being 20 off 99, 17 off 50 etc ..He's failed to rotate strike , failed to be aware of obvious traps , its like he has no idea on how to construct an innings and this is a guy with a FC average of over 45 with international experience before ..I can only put it down to fear of failure but he's blown his chance really.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Out in 2 different ways to the short ball isn't a good look. I know it's cut throat but he had the opportunity to make a play. Short-ball was Hamza's problem first time around too.
Hasn't taken his chance. I've always thought he looked good, but obviously something not quite there and SA coaching picked it up back in the day. Hence his lack of selection for so long. And I don't think it's just a short ball issue.

Bedingham obviously must be in the team. Do you think Brand is going to be selected to open, replace Elgar?

SeamUp

International Coach
Hasn't taken his chance. I've always thought he looked good, but obviously something not quite there and SA coaching picked it up back in the day. Hence his lack of selection for so long. And I don't think it's just a short ball issue.

Bedingham obviously must be in the team. Do you think Brand is going to be selected to open, replace Elgar?
Was also talking van Tonder there. Hamza then followed sadly.

If you believe the press then there is a chance he will be. Just don't think he would be the right choice. Only reason would be to keep de Zorzi at 3 but he opens for WP so why do that?

We play so few tests now I just think we need to get our best talents in the mix as soon as possible.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Was also talking van Tonder there. Hamza then followed sadly.
Yeah. Sadly it's both of them. Everyone knows I've been a huge van Tonder fan. But he needs to go pile on runs at FC level before getting a shot again.

We play so few tests now I just think we need to get our best talents in the mix as soon as possible.
Fight we have been having with the batting selection for years. Bowling less of an option. Selectors have always been okay with throwing talented young bowlers into mix. Not batsmen. 🤷

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah. Sadly it's both of them. Everyone knows I've been a huge van Tonder fan. But he needs to go pile on runs at FC level before getting a shot again.

Fight we have been having with the batting selection for years. Bowling less of an option. Selectors have always been okay with throwing talented young bowlers into mix. Not batsmen. 🤷
We used to. Kallis, Gibbs, Smith, Amla, AB 😍

Hope that is changing now. Probably our most exciting SA A squad chosen in years last time around. Working with the most talented guys. Some have domestic runs behind, some need the elite environment to push them on & some a WIP but down the line has a shot of being SA Test regulars.