• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I only realised now that Bedingham broke the no 100 streak for SA batsmen yesterday... So if (when) he is selected we can have two players in the top 6 that can score (may score) hundreds. Huge improvement for SA.

Marius

International Debutant
What would be a decent Test XI going forward now?

Something like:
Markram
De Zorzi
Hamza/Petersen
Bavuma
Bedingham
Rickelton
Verreynne
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Burger

People that could also slot in are Stubbs, Ngidi, and Coetzee.

Could also give Rickelton the gloves if Verreynne keeps failing at Test level. Could also play Rickelton at three and bring Stubbs in.

Could also bring in an extra bowler but I'm not a fan of Jansen at seven and Maharaj at 8.

Mulder also a possibility but maybe stop thinking of him as our AR solution and rather as a bat that can give you a few overs when needed.

Hamza and Petersen are also iffy, not that happy about them at three.

Maybe bring in another opener and move De Zorzi to three.

Jordan Hermann maybe?

WpGuy

U19 Debutant

Something like:
Markram
De Zorzi
Hamza/Petersen
Bavuma
Bedingham
Rickelton
Verreynne
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Burger

Could also give Rickelton the gloves if Verreynne keeps failing at Test level. Could also play Rickelton at three and bring Stubbs in.

Could also bring in an extra bowler but I'm not a fan of Jansen at seven and Maharaj at 8.

Mulder also a possibility but maybe stop thinking of him as our AR solution and rather as a bat that can give you a few overs when needed.

Jordan Hermann maybe?
Bedingham at 3? with Mulder/De Swart at 6.

Stefan9

International Debutant

Something like:
Markram
De Zorzi
Hamza/Petersen
Bavuma
Bedingham
Rickelton
Verreynne
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Burger

Jordan Hermann maybe?
Rickelton at 3 , Stubbs 6 and Mulder 7. Burger/Ngidi/Coetzee & Nortje fighting for 1 spot.

Dendarii

International Debutant
The problem with Mulder is that his bowling's been fine but he hasn't done enough with the bat to justify being selected primarily for that. I know it's just been two matches, but on the current evidence De Swardt seems a better fit for the role of a batsman who can also chip in with the ball.

SeamUp

International Coach
The problem with Mulder is that his bowling's been fine but he hasn't done enough with the bat to justify being selected primarily for that. I know it's just been two matches, but on the current evidence De Swardt seems a better fit for the role of a batsman who can also chip in with the ball.
The odd thing is, that Mulder is way way better with the bat than with the ball and has multiple FC centuries at top tier level. Not even sure if De Swardt has 1(?) Most were in his only season at semi-pro.

SeamUp

International Coach
There is picking on mountains and mountains of runs and then maybe gut instinct or talent ID.

Rickelton is crabby and leg-side dominant but he has been so dominant in SA domestic and County cricket it's a no brainer he walks right back in.

So him being ignored v India was a shocker by Shukri especially when you see Hamza/Petersen.

Heboric

International Debutant
Petersen has really dropped in performance. Bit disappointing after that initial series. Had high hopes

Might as well add it hear. This tour and the ****housery by CSA. Reminded me of something and another example of questionable values. When is that home test tour of Australia happening. The one that was suppose to happen a few years back. Is it ever going to happen ?

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
The odd thing is, that Mulder is way way better with the bat than with the ball and has multiple FC centuries at top tier level. Not even sure if De Swardt has 1(?) Most were in his only season at semi-pro.
I remain a fan of Mulder, but he's starting to reach the point where you wonder if he's one of those players who just can't make the step up to international level. So it's becoming a question of how long to continue backing him, hoping that he'll come right.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I remain a fan of Mulder, but he's starting to reach the point where you wonder if he's one of those players who just can't make the step up to international level. So it's becoming a question of how long to continue backing him, hoping that he'll come right.
Pick him for the ODI tour of Ireland and have him bat at No.3 for all 3 games

Marius

International Debutant

Something like:
Markram
De Zorzi
Hamza/Petersen
Bavuma
Bedingham
Rickelton
Verreynne
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Burger

Jordan Hermann maybe?
Forgot Nortje, he's in the XI if fit.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Rickelton at 3 , Stubbs 6 and Mulder 7. Burger/Ngidi/Coetzee & Nortje fighting for 1 spot.
Mulder needs to bat 5 or 6, pretend he is a batsmen who adds a few bowling bits 5th bowler, we don't really need a bowler who can bat a bit, we got jansen,coetzee,maharaj for that.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
There is picking on mountains and mountains of runs and then maybe gut instinct or talent ID.

Rickelton is crabby and leg-side dominant but he has been so dominant in SA domestic and County cricket it's a no brainer he walks right back in.

So him being ignored v India was a shocker by Shukri especially when you see Hamza/Petersen.
The problem when a coach is sole selector, all those guys you mention the two got cobras wp connections and i saw the cobras wp players about 8/9 had connections to the nz tour of which shukri was coach and connected down there, besides his stint at lions. I didnt rate him as a local coach or with u19s hope i am wrong. he won local comps a few with great sides.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Mulder needs to bat 5 or 6, pretend he is a batsmen who adds a few bowling bits 5th bowler, we don't really need a bowler who can bat a bit, we got jansen,coetzee,maharaj for that.
I am playing him as a batsmen. I am playing 7 batsmen.

Bahseph

State Captain
I've watched quite a bit of Mulder lately, albeit in another format (SA20), and he just looks so much more relaxed when not playing an international. He is still in his mid 20s so we can hope he sorts it out soon.