• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Captain was in full praise of Australia’s “insane professionalism” after the final, so, I assume not everyone is supportive of van Niekerk’s plight. Unless insane professionalism doesn’t extend to professional players being expected to pass a fitness test that 17 other players passed. ****ty situation but what else could CSA have done here? van Niekerk was a contracted player and if the idea of passing a fitness test was completely novel, go ahead and sue CSA. They like litigation.
The rules are a bit bureaucratic , there has to be space for common sense that's when rules are truly respected ..Dropping Jacques Kallis if he failed to run 2km by 20 seconds doesn't make cricketing sense.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Captain was in full praise of Australia’s “insane professionalism” after the final, so, I assume not everyone is supportive of van Niekerk’s plight. Unless insane professionalism doesn’t extend to professional players being expected to pass a fitness test that 17 other players passed. ****ty situation but what else could CSA have done here? van Niekerk was a contracted player and if the idea of passing a fitness test was completely novel, go ahead and sue CSA. They like litigation.
England wouldn't have disqualified her as they use a combination of all 3 tests. Dane passed 2 of the 3 tests and posted a personal best in the one she missed by 17 seconds. That doesn't seem like someone who didn't put in effort for me.
CSA has draconian methods instead of a nuanced approach.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

You wonder if there might be more behind Verreynne no selection than we originally thought?
Can understand the frustration. If I was someone like swaenpool who was the leading wicket takers in div I while also dominating the List A cup and didn't even get into a squad in the international home season ide be pissed. Same with verryene being SA'as best bat in Aus and getting dropped.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately for swaenpool we have plenty of good bowlers in SA. And I could go with them picking Klaasens over Verreynne as a coaches preference when neither inspires true confidence. Maybe not agree but understand.

What concerns me here is the idea that Kyle was sidelined because he brought up legitimate concerns we all have for the very poor domestic circuit, that needs to be fixed.

Now it’s pure speculation on my part, but it does not look good for CSA when you consider the timing.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately for swaenpool we have plenty of good bowlers in SA. And I could go with them picking Klaasens over Verreynne as a coaches preference when neither inspires true confidence. Maybe not agree but understand.

What concerns me here is the idea that Kyle was sidelined because he brought up legitimate concerns we all have for the very poor domestic circuit, that needs to be fixed.

Now it’s pure speculation on my part, but it does not look good for CSA when you consider the timing.
Look at Coetzee's performance this red ball season and overall compared to swaenpool. Both are young and playing in div 1 this season. Coetzee's selection has obviously worked out, but it's a massive slap in the face to a guy who on domestic performance deserved the chance first. Just from that I can see why some people would feel the setup don't give a **** about domestic performance or undervalue it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Look at Coetzee's performance this red ball season and overall compared to swaenpool. Both are young and playing in div 1 this season. Coetzee's selection has obviously worked out, but it's a massive slap in the face to a guy who on domestic performance deserved the chance first. Just from that I can see why some people would feel the setup don't give a **** about domestic performance or undervalue it.
Only if you ignore the fact that Coetzee has been on the national radar since he was 16. Much like Rabada and Jansen. May not seem fair but selection is not all about a stringent pecking order.

But again this misses the point. Regardless you still need a strong domestic structure that players are playing regularly in and making a living. Else everything collapses. And my concern and point on this issue is regarding whether Kyle was discarded because he spoke out.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
SA invitational XI to take on Netherlands :

1.Wihahn Lubbe
2.Jordan Hermann
3.Tony De Zorzi (C)
4.Matthew Breetzke
5.Sinethemba Qeshile (WK)
6.Evan Jones
7.Mihlali Mpongwana
8.Senuran Muthusamy
9.Eathan Bosch
10.Ottiniel Baartman
11.Tshepo Moreki
12.Lesego Senokwane

Quite a strong side for an Invitational line up ..

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
He should be selected immediately IMO. I rate him very highly - could quite easily be SA's best batsman straight away.
Can't really look past his record, just not sure how he fits in given that he's a middle order bat and the 5-6-7 of Bavuma-Keeper-Allrounder seems to be what SA are going with under the new managment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can't really look past his record, just not sure how he fits in given that he's a middle order bat and the 5-6-7 of Bavuma-Keeper-Allrounder seems to be what SA are going with under the new managment.
Bavuma batted four in his last Test and played the best knock of his career.

IMO:

Markram
Elgar
de Zorzi / Rickelton
Bavuma
Bedingham
Keeper
Allrounder

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Bavuma batted four in his last Test and played the best knock of his career.

IMO:

Markram
Elgar
de Zorzi / Rickelton
Bavuma
Bedingham
Keeper
Allrounder
I'de convinced myself he batted 5 and not 4 in that test, my b. The lineup you've posted makes alot of sense, best batting lineup SA have been able to field on paper in a while. If elgar ****s off any time soon due to age de zorzi can open and rickelton can bat 3 or vice versa, so a bit of depth aswell.