• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
Is Reeza Hendricks not a good long format bat?
Has some technical issues and tends to get stuck at times the longer the format gets imo. A much better T20 bat than OD bat for instance. He is in the form of his life in the T20 format though. The perfect foil to QDK. It's truly a shame he got benched in the last T20 WC.

Bahseph

State Captain
He is not playing ODIs too?
He is always in and around the squad,and gets a game now and then but he is far down the pecking order as far as SA ODI batsman go according to me. I think T20 dictates how he should play so he goes for his shots, and he has some really pretty ones tbh. A few of his drives through the offside are smoooooth.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Is Reeza Hendricks not a good long format bat?
Reeza Hendricks will turn 34 this year , his FC average is 33.73 from 144 FC matches and many of them played in Kimberley which has some of the flattest pitches in South Africa, would not make sense from any perspective to have him in the Test side ..He's one of those deceptive cricketers , you would think someone capable of playing the cricket shots he can play would be better but he isn't. Even ODI cricket he only averages 27 for South Africa from 27 games

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Reeza Hendricks will turn 34 this year , his FC average is 33.73 from 144 FC matches and many of them played in Kimberley which has some of the flattest pitches in South Africa, would not make sense from any perspective to have him in the Test side ..He's one of those deceptive cricketers , you would think someone capable of playing the cricket shots he can play would be better but he isn't. Even ODI cricket he only averages 27 for South Africa from 27 games
Ha.. gotcha. The South African James Vince.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA invitational XI to take on Netherlands :

1.Wihahn Lubbe
2.Jordan Hermann
3.Tony De Zorzi (C)
4.Matthew Breetzke
5.Sinethemba Qeshile (WK)
6.Evan Jones
7.Mihlali Mpongwana
8.Senuran Muthusamy
9.Eathan Bosch
10.Ottiniel Baartman
11.Tshepo Moreki
12.Lesego Senokwane

Quite a strong side for an Invitational line up ..
de Zorzi goes without saying & it's good of him to want to play this but then I think it is part of the future leadership grooming & strengthening BA options.

Hermann, Breetzke off dominant seasons in all formats. I remember them batting together in T20 Comp at beginning of the season and everyone was so impressed by that one partnership. It was a stand-out of the competition and they just continued to show they could become the 2 most complete batsman in the country.

Stubbs, Ferreira & Brevis at the IPL so not included & they would be there or thereabouts.

E Bosch also deservedly getting a look-in after his SA20 (under-rated with the bat) + you could argue that Evan Jones has that x-factor game that could explode anytime now. Smashes it (although this was the disappointment of his SAT20 but he was playing Div2 2021/22) & he bowls heavy 140. Think that's what gives him the edge over a Delano Potgieter who despite the stats showing he is a decent limited overs talent, I'm not sure he will get away as much bowling in the 120s in international cricket. Baartman also a good limited overs bowler. Wicket to wicket, rushes batsman despite not being overly quick & has a good yorker.

Sounds like SA A tours are being arranged. One to West Indies and one inbound one. Expecting a number of players in our last test squad to be included. Like De Zorzi, Rickelton, Muthusamy & maybe even Mulder (if they get him away from Leics), Coetzee, M.Jansen (at a push).

Something like for FC (Doubt Mulder and Linde will be let go by their counties)

Jordan Hermann
Tony de Zorzi
Ryan Rickelton
Matt Breetzke
Kyle Verreynne
Jason Smith
Senuran Muthusamy
Gerald Coetzee
Marco Jansen/Beyers Swanepoel
Glenton Stuurman/Lizaad Williams
Lutho Sipamla

*Josh Richards as an opener another I wouldn't mind seeing. Unfortunately not sure there is space for him & Raynard van Tonder & I'm not sure whether Zubayr Hamza is put straight back in. Might need another BA so you probably looking at Qeshile or Moreki.

SA Emerging squad also intrigues me for when that is arranged. Don't know the squad but you probably pick a squad from the below

WP: Jono Bird, Daniel Smith, Mihlali Mpongwana
Boland: Michael Copeland, Achille Cloete
EP: Tiaan van Vuuren
Dolphins: Bryce Parsons, Ruan de Swardt, Andile Simelane, Thando Ntini
Lions: Mitch van Buuren, Codi Yusuf, Liam Alder
Titans: Jiveshan Pillay, Matthew Boast
NW: JP King, Duan Jansen, Caleb Seleka

*5 young Black African's above you probably hoping have the highest scope to push on.

SeamUp

International Coach
...been trying to put up a good fight...
You certainly always put up a good argument. Top man.

Don't want to sound like an old fogie because we a similar age but I think I just became or have become disenchanted with the game for multiple reasons. It's time consuming. Had my playing days but its still that too watch. So I want to watch what I enjoy deeply if I am going use my time smartly.

Firstly the quality of it hasn't improved because of T20 and I live for quality test cricket (producing ATG's to be remembered and spoken about for years to come) and that desire to fight for everything to win games has gone from it. Then there is the unevenness of the schedule. We used to say blame the Big 3 and ICC but now we have this new CEO? come out and say why aren't you coming to the grounds if you want more tests & putting it on the fans. I don't think there is a true appreciation of test cricket from him and saying that whilst starting tests on Tuesday's and then not believing getting an exciting & winning test team with the best & hopefully star individuals being the absolute priority will also help improve the image.

Then secondly the politics involved in our sport in SA. I will never just accept the number counts as it is, I prefer hard work & investment in the right areas reaping rewards that are deserved and we just haven't had enough of that from CSA and we are where we are still today. I just want to watch the best talented cricketers fighting everything to win a test match for SA.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
You certainly always put up a good argument. Top man.

Don't want to sound like an old fogie because we a similar age but I think I just became or have become disenchanted with the game for multiple reasons. It's time consuming. Had my playing days but its still that too watch. So I want to watch what I enjoy deeply if I am going use my time smartly.

Firstly the quality of it hasn't improved because of T20 and I live for quality test cricket (producing ATG's to be remembered and spoken about for years to come) and that desire to fight for everything to win games has gone from it. Then there is the unevenness of the schedule. We used to say blame the Big 3 and ICC but now we have this new CEO? come out and say why aren't you coming to the grounds if you want more tests & putting it on the fans. I don't think there is a true appreciation of test cricket from him and saying that whilst starting tests on Tuesday's and then not believing getting an exciting & winning test team with the best & hopefully star individuals being the absolute priority will also help improve the image.

Then secondly the politics involved in our sport in SA. I will never just accept the number counts as it is, I prefer hard work & investment in the right areas reaping rewards that are deserved and we just haven't had enough of that from CSA and we are where we are still today. I just want to watch the best talented cricketers fighting everything to win a test match for SA.
We went through, and continue to go through, many dark days in SA cricket... I think a number of us are just a touch (smidge!) more optimistic with some of the changes and a bit more future looking plans (as it so far seems). Hopefully it continues onwards. But the proof will be in the pudding... and the eating thereof.

I can just about handle the T20 explosion and needs provided it does what everybody says its meant to do... continue to pay for the great and beautiful Tests... which people who truly love the sport and play the sport want to see continue at the highest quality level.

SeamUp

International Coach
We went through, and continue to go through, many dark days in SA cricket... I think a number of us are just a touch (smidge!) more optimistic with some of the changes and a bit more future looking plans (as it so far seems). Hopefully it continues onwards. But the proof will be in the pudding... and the eating thereof.

I can just about handle the T20 explosion and needs provided it does what everybody says its meant to do... continue to pay for the great and beautiful Tests... which people who truly love the sport and play the sport want to see continue at the highest quality level.
I hope you right but I have my doubts.

T20 cricket was fun and a bit of cash on the side to add to your ultimate aim of being a test cricketer for your country which was fine for me but there are so many T20 leagues pulling at you and so much white ball cricket it has affected the quality of test cricket and test cricketer in negative way. Players just aren't honing the longer format skill enough and I don't see that changing as the demand for more money and the ultimate becoming the T20 cricketer. It's been ages since I've seen a quality test match go 5 days & wear & tear of a pitch becoming a challenge & thinking cricketers adapting to situations or fighting to survive because their their livelihood depended on selection for the test team. It's hard to hone that when you playing so much T20 cricket. It's starting from younger now too.

Thought Shaun Pollock said it well after the tests in that its hard for golfers to just do 'driving competitions' for 3 months and then expect to come in and play a full round of golf and expect to have all the finer details of the game (irons/chipping/putting) when you not doing it enough.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I hope you right but I have my doubts.

T20 cricket was fun and a bit of cash on the side to add to your ultimate aim of being a test cricketer for your country which was fine for me but there are so many T20 leagues pulling at you and so much white ball cricket it has the affected the quality of test cricket and test cricketer in negative way. Players just aren't honing the longer format skill enough and I don't see that changing as the demand for more money and the ultimate becoming the T20 cricketer. It's been ages since I've seen a quality test match go 5 days & wear & tear of a pitch becoming a challenge & thinking cricketers adapting to situations or fighting to survive because their their livelihood depended on selection for the test team. It's hard to hone that when you playing so much T20 cricket. It's starting from younger now too.

Thought Shaun Pollock said it well after the tests in that its hard for golfers to just do 'driving competitions' for 3 months and then expect to come in and play a full round of golf and expect to have all the finer details of the game (irons/chipping/putting) when you not doing it enough.
Agree 100 %. My hope though is that the players of high quality continue to demand that Test cricket is played at the highest level... and the boards push that. It may be optimistic because of the cash in hand demand and the capitalistic nature of everything and everyone.

Dendarii

International Debutant
My hope though is that the players of high quality continue to demand that Test cricket is played at the highest level...
There is still a desire amongst players to play test cricket. I know that Brevis has spoken about it, and I doubt he's alone amongst the young up and coming players. So the players want it to happen, which means that it's really up to CSA.

SeamUp

International Coach
There is still a desire amongst players to play test cricket. I know that Brevis has spoken about it, and I doubt he's alone amongst the young up and coming players. So the players want it to happen, which means that it's really up to CSA.
Don't want to sound like a pessimist (realist :) ) but even with that being true, it is so much easier to just give up when things get challenging or tough (but all young players need that) but now you can just go down the quick money and travelling from young route if you not feeling like the fight or feeling low about your game.

Saying that, Brevis has work to do on the short ball. He should have played more 4-day games this season but the restrictions didn't allow that until the Proteas weren't around as much.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

"We are talking to two countries for Test series over the winter period, and hopefully once something is confirmed we can announce it. If we can't get it over the line, we'll resort to 'A' matches.

"We are looking at one or two other countries to find a small gap to squeeze in two or three Tests. Some countries are quite keen - it's just how we fit it into the approved FTP. There is appetite, which is exciting."
Proof in the pudding and eating thereof... and all that.