• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach

Proof in the pudding and eating thereof... and all that.
From West Indies, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Pakistan you imagine for timing of the year and interest to play us.

Had heard that there was an A tour to Windies in the pipeline but no idea if that is seperate to this.

SeamUp

International Coach
Talking 50-over cricket.

Many say the 15-man squad chosen for the Netherlands ODIs will be our WC squad baring in mind Keshav Maharaj's injury & Bjorn Fortuin coming in.

Quinton de Kock, Temba Bavuma, Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram, Heinrich Klaasen, Dave Miller, Reeza Hendricks
Marco Jansen, Wayne Parnell
Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Lungi Ngidi, Sisanda Magala
Bjorn Fortuin, Tabraiz Shamsi

All players are 30+ bar Markram (29), Rabada (28), Ngidi (27), Jansen (23) this year so it will have enough experience of sub-continent conditions. Plus likely a last WC for a number of those over 30.

Only real doubts to be picked being vd Dussen, Hendricks, Parnell, Magala, Fortuin & Shamsi (who really has been poor for a year at least).

Back-ups?

Tony de Zorzi, Ryan Rickelton, Jordan Hermann, Matt Breetzke, Tristan Stubbs, Dewald Brevis, Donovan Ferreira
Wiaan Mulder, Andile Phehlukwayo
George Linde, Senuran Muthusamy
Gerald Coetzee, Eathan Bosch, Lizaad Williams

Outside of those for the last spot you probably looking for impact seamer all-rounder in Evan Jones, a leg-spinner which is too soon for Caleb Seleka but has good potential & maybe another left-armer/extreme speed in Nandre Burger.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
We do need to find more spinners in white ball cricket , Shamsi needs competition and Fortuin is just a steady Eddie..Also an all rounder ..I hoped Mulder would have nailed this spot by now but for some reason he can't perform with the bat at international level

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
We do need to find more spinners in white ball cricket , Shamsi needs competition and Fortuin is just a steady Eddie..Also an all rounder ..I hoped Mulder would have nailed this spot by now but for some reason he can't perform with the bat at international level
Linde is right there and is coming off a fantastic list-A season for his domestic side. I'de be really interested to see what the deal is behind the scenes because him not being in the squad when maharaj is injured is just off. SA are basically saying that he's the fourth choice LOI spinner, best case.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Talking 50-over cricket.

Many say the 15-man squad chosen for the Netherlands ODIs will be our WC squad baring in mind Keshav Maharaj's injury & Bjorn Fortuin coming in.

Quinton de Kock, Temba Bavuma, Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram, Heinrich Klaasen, Dave Miller, Reeza Hendricks

All players are 30+ bar Markram (29), Rabada (28), Ngidi (27), Jansen (23) this year so it will have enough experience of sub-continent conditions. Plus likely a last WC for a number of those over 30.

Only real doubts to be picked being vd Dussen, Hendricks, Parnell, Magala, Fortuin & Shamsi (who really has been poor for a year at least).

Back-ups?

Tony de Zorzi, Ryan Rickelton, Jordan Hermann, Matt Breetzke, Tristan Stubbs, Dewald Brevis, Donovan Ferreira

Outside of those for the last spot you probably looking for impact seamer all-rounder in Evan Jones, a leg-spinner which is too soon for Caleb Seleka but has good potential & maybe another left-armer/extreme speed in Nandre Burger.
Maharaj hopefully will be back. I would not take Parnell, Magala, Fortuin and/or Shamsi. Think Linde needs to go. I would take Stubbs and possible Ferreira. Also Coetzee (pace is king!) and would seriously consider Muthusamy.

Bahseph

State Captain
Can Shamsi be trusted to regularly give you 10 in an ODI these days?? I don't think so. There is a reason Maharaj is now the number one spinner across formats. Fortuin is a perfectly good T20 spinner but I don't know if he is good enough to he the lead spinner in an ODI.

If they aren't going to pick Linde (and that seams the case),then surely they have to go with Muthusamy at 7 by process of elimination? Markram can't be asked to give you 10 overs every game. Subrayen or Harmer as a punt??

Marius

International Debutant
Talking 50-over cricket.

Back-ups?

Welcome back Grant :D

Dendarii

International Debutant
I found this article about Linde not being picked to go to New Zealand last year.

https://www.sacricketmag.com/why-proteas-spinner-didnt-get-picked/

There are two slightly conflicting stories there, with Mpitsang saying it was because Linde was getting married and Linde saying that he would rather miss the tour so that he could play domestically rather sit on the sidelines. Those don't necessarily contradict each other as it could have also been that Linde wasn't prepared to postpone his wedding if he was only going to be carrying drinks, although if that's the case you have to ask why a professional cricketer schedules their wedding during the cricket season.

I can see how that might have rubbed the selectors the wrong way, but maybe things can be patched up with the new regime. We've had Bedingham committing himself to South Africa, so maybe there's hope for Linde to return to the side.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I found this article about Linde not being picked to go to New Zealand last year.

https://www.sacricketmag.com/why-proteas-spinner-didnt-get-picked/

There are two slightly conflicting stories there, with Mpitsang saying it was because Linde was getting married and Linde saying that he would rather miss the tour so that he could play domestically rather sit on the sidelines. Those don't necessarily contradict each other as it could have also been that Linde wasn't prepared to postpone his wedding if he was only going to be carrying drinks, although if that's the case you have to ask why a professional cricketer schedules their wedding during the cricket season.

I can see how that might have rubbed the selectors the wrong way, but maybe things can be patched up with the new regime. We've had Bedingham committing himself to South Africa, so maybe there's hope for Linde to return to the side.
Are we sure beddingham is down to new management and not England? Beddingham is a middle order bat and right now it looks like there gonna have to either bench there previous redball player of the home summer, a guy averaging 100 in test cricket or one of the best keeper bats in the world. Maybe beddingham saw that and figured it would be easier getting a game for SA then ENG?

Bahseph

State Captain
I think I commented at one stage that Parnell has been okay since his comeback. I now remember why he was so frustrating. There is no way we will win any tournament with him walking out at 7 (T20s or ODIs). Him and Phelukwayo will always be tremendous let downs to me.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Are we sure beddingham is down to new management and not England? Beddingham is a middle order bat and right now it looks like there gonna have to either bench there previous redball player of the home summer, a guy averaging 100 in test cricket or one of the best keeper bats in the world. Maybe beddingham saw that and figured it would be easier getting a game for SA then ENG?
It could be that, although one of the reasons we didn't know where he stood was that the old selectors never spoke to him. So maybe it is a coincidence and I'm placing a bit too much faith in the new management, but I still think there's something in it.

Socerer 01

International Captain
its the timing of his announcement. Brook is playing for a while now so he could have announced it earlier under previous regime too if that was reason

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
its the timing of his announcement. Brook is playing for a while now so he could have announced it earlier under previous regime too if that was reason
Yeah but brooks has only really been a guaranteed lock for what, two months? Before the Pak tour he was just a guy who had an unreal county season. Making the announcement your gonna go back to SA after getting partway into the qualification period for england is a big call and sunk cost fallacy would play a huge part.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yeah but brooks has only really been a guaranteed lock for what, two months? Before the Pak tour he was just a guy who had an unreal county season. Making the announcement your gonna go back to SA after getting partway into the qualification period for england is a big call and sunk cost fallacy would play a huge part.
could be a mix of both in reality. New management explores available players, sees or gets to know Beddingham’s situation who may or may not have been exploring the possibility from his own side and they mutually decide on it

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Why is Joshua Richards still seen as an academy player , he's 25 this year he should be pushing for national team selection , unnecessary stalling of a career