• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Heboric

International Debutant
Well guess the captain may change...

Nope

Stefan9

International Debutant
Doubt the new coaches had much say in that squad , no matter what CSA claims. That looks to me like a safe squad picked by the selection panel.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Too soon to known tbf. Too short time period to change the captain. We will all know how things shake up over the next few months.
What timeline are we working to here?... how many times does picking and continuing to do the same thing as the team continues to fail justified under an argument of consistency. Where is the discussion and report promised after the loss to Netherlands and getting kicked out of T20 WC?

The biggest thing here for me is SA contracts and previous selections... "this is what they decided and come hell or high water we shall not veer off our path even if it drowns everybody in the process."

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Are their many odi cricketers who SA could throw in over what they've picked. Based on the squad the batting lineup will be something like 1.Malan
2.De Kock 3.Rassie/Bavuma 4.Bavuma/Rassie 5.miller 6.Klassen and that seems like a good white ball top 6. Bowling of Jansen, rabada, nortje and ngidi with maharaj and shamsi as spin options seems fine. Maybe you could argue linde/stubbs deserve to be amongst the squad given their recent OD domestic form and that picking parnell at 7 despite the t20 WC showing us that clearly doesn't work is a bit worrying, but the general makeup of the side seems fine.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Are their many odi cricketers who SA could throw in over what they've picked. Based on the squad the batting lineup will be something like 1.Malan
2.De Kock 3.Rassie/Bavuma 4.Bavuma/Rassie 5.miller 6.Klassen and that seems like a good white ball top 6. Bowling of Jansen, rabada, nortje and ngidi with maharaj and shamsi as spin options seems fine. Maybe you could argue linde/stubbs deserve to be amongst the squad given their recent OD domestic form and that picking parnell at 7 despite the t20 WC showing us that clearly doesn't work is a bit worrying, but the general makeup of the side seems fine.
Rickelton,stubbs,de zorzi,mulder and linde have all had excellent sa 50 over competition. Janneman has been poor for a year in odi's and not shown in either domestic 20 over comp, sa 50 over or the current sa20 that he has overcome his spin issues.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Rickelton,stubbs,de zorzi,mulder and linde have all had excellent sa 50 over competition. Janneman has been poor for a year in odi's and not shown in either domestic 20 over comp, sa 50 over or the current sa20 that he has overcome his spin issues.
... I would also give Muthusamy a go again. I would prefer to see someone like Leus du Plooy over Klaasens. And would probably pick Verreynne as back up keeper. And I would seriously consider bringing Markram back.

Edit: see Markram is still in the squad...

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Malan still averages 47 and 44 respectively in ODI's and List A while de Zorzi averages 38 in List A with his good season under his belt. I agree on the rest, the fact there not in the squad or around it is definitely weird. Think Linde deserves to be there over maharaj, mulder should be their and that stubbs should 100% be in their and maybe getting games over klassan. Issue is that all of these bar mulder are small things (SA's #7 policy across formats is a joke). They still have 6 gun top order bat's who are amongst the best bat's in the format in the country and 3 gun pacers. You shouldn't be struggling to qualify for the WC if you have that on paper. There's issues here that go beyond selection, and I don't think bavuma's consistently been captain in this format for long enough to say that he's a huge part of it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Malan still averages 47 and 44 respectively in ODI's and List A while de Zorzi averages 38 in List A with his good season under his belt. I agree on the rest, the fact there not in the squad or around it is definitely weird. Think Linde deserves to be there over maharaj, mulder should be their and that stubbs should 100% be in their and maybe getting games over klassan. Issue is that all of these bar mulder are small things (SA's #7 policy across formats is a joke). They still have 6 gun top order bat's who are amongst the best bat's in the format in the country and 3 gun pacers. You shouldn't be struggling to qualify for the WC if you have that on paper. There's issues here that go beyond selection, and I don't think bavuma's consistently been captain in this format for long enough to say that he's a huge part of it.
Their plan is apparently to aim for 2027 WC!? Which of those players in the squad are still gonna be around? If you don't pick the guys in their late 20s doing well now, that means you either never give them a proper chance to showcase if they are good enough or you pick them later down the line and delay players like Brevis, Coetzee's etc etc... its continuing to kick the can down the road in a sense of short term gain and 'apparent' loyalty. Its not showing forethought. And that is what SA cricket desperately needs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not currently.

As an EU passport holder rather than a Kolpak he could have grandfathered resident rights as a local, assuming he applied under the EU Settlement Scheme before 30th June 21.

As he's registered as a local player for Derbyshire (their captain, in fact) I think it's a fair guess he did.

Could easily give it up if the Proteas came calling though, but whether he'd want to sacrifice the security of county & Hundred contracts though is open for debate.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
and he wouldn’t have played if Brook was available right? Good on him for making the most of an opportunity that came up by chance

Marius

International Debutant
Du Plooy apparently told CSA to GGF, so I doubt we'll see him in the green-and-gold anytime soon.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Du Plooy apparently told CSA to GGF, so I doubt we'll see him in the green-and-gold anytime soon.
I wondered bout that... I do think he was on their radar a few years ago and has continued at times to play SA domestic... probably very much like Bedingham.