• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
Faf clearly still has it in T20 cricket, but I still wonder what the implications of selecting him for the national side would be if he doesn't play SA domestic cricket.

Socerer 01

International Captain
if Faf is only to be a t20 player is there a problem in him not playing other domestic formats? i’d rather have him play in an extra t20 league or two over fc from a t20 selector point of view even if it is detrimental to the overall domestic structure in the long run

Faf clearly still has it in T20 cricket, but I still wonder what the implications of selecting him for the national side would be if he doesn't play SA domestic cricket.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think this might change things. I wonder if there will be other T20 comps around in SA moving forward.
Yes they have a pure domestic provincial cricket which the U19 also are part of. I don't think that will change. This is franchise cricket for monies...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I see absolutely no reason why you cant pick players for RSA in T20Is based on performances in SA20 though. CA picks their T20 side based on BBL performances, BCCI picks their side based on IPL performances.

Bahseph

State Captain
Yes they have a pure domestic provincial cricket which the U19 also are part of. I don't think that will change. This is franchise cricket for monies...
Yeah I forgot about that tourney. If the idea is not to create mercenaries then it will fail. QDK already gave up Tests to purely play LO cricket. If someone wants to do that then they will.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I forgot about that tourney. If the idea is not to create mercenaries then it will fail. QDK already gave up Tests to purely play LO cricket. If someone wants to do that then they will.
I am of the opinion that happened as much because of what was going on behind the scenes.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Their plan is apparently to aim for 2027 WC!? Which of those players in the squad are still gonna be around? If you don't pick the guys in their late 20s doing well now, that means you either never give them a proper chance to showcase if they are good enough or you pick them later down the line and delay players like Brevis, Coetzee's etc etc... its continuing to kick the can down the road in a sense of short term gain and 'apparent' loyalty. Its not showing forethought. And that is what SA cricket desperately needs.
T20 squad would be best to experiment atm until wc and test cycles end this year.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Dendarii

International Debutant
This struck me as odd.

South Africa's fitness standards require female cricketers to run 2-kilometres in 9 minutes 30 seconds, and ESPNcricinfo has learnt van Niekerk was over by 18 seconds, but did achieve a personal best in the test.
If she has a personal best of 9 minutes 48 seconds then she's never met that criterion, so why have they allowed her to play previously but are now enforcing it?

And I'm not a runner, so I have no idea, but how reasonable is it to expect someone to run 2km in 9.5 minutes? That's 12.6km/h and Google says that the average woman runs at 9.6km/h, but that's the average woman and not a professional sportswoman.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
This struck me as odd.

If she has a personal best of 9 minutes 48 seconds then she's never met that criterion, so why have they allowed her to play previously but are now enforcing it?

And I'm not a runner, so I have no idea, but how reasonable is it to expect someone to run 2km in 9.5 minutes? That's 12.6km/h and Google says that the average woman runs at 9.6km/h, but that's the average woman and not a professional sportswoman.
Its a fast pace but nothing special, the woman's WR is under 5:30... from my understanding lots of these fitness implementation are relatively recent criteria for SA like since 2021 or so. A 5 km run for a novice is around 27 min apparently. With you trying to do the first 2km around 10 km.

Its just that for her to not be accepted because she took 18 s longer is ridiculous... if that is the distinction between two equally skilled athletes and unsure who to select, sure use it as a criteria, but not as a disqualification criteria for one of your best and most skilled players.