• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
As for the side going forward I want beddingham and rickelton included.

1.Elgar
2.Erwee
3.Petersen
4.markram
5.Bavuma
6.Beddingham
7.Rickelton
8.Jansen/Maharaj
9.Kg
10.Nortje
11.Ngidi

Depending on the conditions play Jansen or keshav.
Completely agree with Rabada, Nortje and Ngidi as bowlers and the 4th being a toss up based on conditions and balance. But why would Markram become a middle order batsman?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Markram's always opened but he really does look like a classic #3 or #4 to me, and he's not doing very well against the new ball in Tests at the moment.

Exposing your most talented batsman of a generation to the new ball when he loves driving through the covers and plays half his games in South Africa just because he's always done that does seem silly, especially when it's clearly not working.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think Markram opened even at U19, so he may have been an opener all along. But it is possible that he stuck to opening because that was his best route into the national side.

However, for him to drop down the order in tests the selectors need to decide that he's better off not opening and then they need to make room for him by either dropping Van der Dussen or going with three seamers and no allrounder, and I really don't know how likely any of that is.

Bahseph

State Captain
There will be some big calls to make. My gut tells me he is opening in the next few series. Which are NZ(away),Bangladesh(Home) and England(Away). His hard hands and instinct to drive will make it tough for him in England.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Many batsmen in SA where encouraged to open as SA generally had a stable middle order but where always looking for another opener. ABdV started as an opener for SA!

There will be some big calls to make. My gut tells me he is opening in the next few series. Which are NZ(away),Bangladesh(Home) and England(Away). His hard hands and instinct to drive will make it tough for him in England.
They won't make them...

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Markram is not an opener. I dont care where he has previously batted, regardless of which teams. It was clear even when he was murdering it as an opener in his first couple of series. I watched him in the early series thinking he had the potential to be a great 4/5, not that I was watching a potentially great opener. And that was before his heavy handed thing became apparent.

WICFan

U19 Captain
The more I watch Markram the more I am convinced that he only started opening because that was the spot he saw himself breaking into the SA team in when Amla,ABD etc were around. SA have moved ABD,Rudolph and Gibbs down the order in my life time. It's not a foreign concept for them.
Gary Kirsten moved down to 5 or 6 in the order when Smith and Gibbs became the opening partnership as well.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I`m happy to see Mulder still in the squad, was worried he would get dropped. Still would like to see a younger batsmen picked as well. I suppose that they 4-day is still ongoing so gives the younger guys a chance to play rather than sit on the sidelines.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Not really a follower of SA cricket, but having watched the India series I can't believe anyone is questioning Jansen's place in the team. Most Test playing nations would kill for a left-arm fast bowler who's eight foot tall and can bat a bit.

But what has happened to Duanne Olivier? He used to be good.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Jansen probably would be handy in NZ with his left arm swing. Basin Reserve is ideal venue for him.
Shame that Nortje is still injured would have been so handy in case Kiwis roll out belters.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Not really a follower of SA cricket, but having watched the India series I can't believe anyone is questioning Jansen's place in the team. Most Test playing nations would kill for a left-arm fast bowler who's eight foot tall and can bat a bit.

But what has happened to Duanne Olivier? He used to be good.
No question Jansen's ability we question including him as the nr 7. He is a nr8/9, nowhere close to a nt 7.

Heboric

International Debutant
I dont want to go there, but I will go there.

I noticed just one player from Western Province, just goes to show how WP cricket has fallen :( :(

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
I dont want to go there, but I will go there.

I noticed just one player from Western Province, just goes to show how WP cricket has fallen :( :(
Suppose Petersen is ex wp and than Vernynne in and linde unavailable, Malan brothers just on the outside if we include boland in the mix
hendriecks out of the loop was in squad before, think theres a whole batch of new youngsters coming through like daniel the opener/keeper and than beddingham is still there and de zorzi at wp.