• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
Predictable squad to be fair. I think we realized that Harmer was behind Linde and Subrayen in the pecking order so it makes sense that he is in. I do think he is a better pure bowler than those two though. Maharaj probably plays the two Tests though.

I think we all know Rassie is playing so I'd just like to see Mulder in for Olivier. Jansen at 8 makes me feel more confident than Jansen at 7!

Niall

International Coach
Brevis any chance of getting fast tracked into the limited over squads?

Looks a special talent.

Heboric

International Debutant
Brevis any chance of getting fast tracked into the limited over squads?

Looks a special talent.
No wont happen, not CSAs way, they sit firmly in the middle between Pakistan who will select youngsters out of left field to ECB who expect there players to "learn" for 10 years in county cricket

PakhuisTillite

Cricket Spectator
No wont happen, not CSAs way, they sit firmly in the middle between Pakistan who will select youngsters out of left field to ECB who expect there players to "learn" for 10 years in county cricket
If he's going great guns by age 20/21 he'll have a chance. Rabada made it at 20 but Graham Smith and AB are the only baby batters I can think of. I think AB was the youngest at age 20. I wouldn't mind seeing Brevis there after he has a season of FC under his belt.

Edit. Victor Mpitsang the youngest at 18 and 314 days in ODIs.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Rabada was a special case both in talent and for other reasons.

Also it will be desperately unfair on van Tonder, who is (and was) just as special a talent (and Breetzke, if less so).

SA has plenty of batting talent, just need to select it.

Dendarii

International Debutant
If he's going great guns by age 20/21 he'll have a chance. Rabada made it at 20 but Graham Smith and AB are the only baby batters I can think of. I think AB was the youngest at age 20.
De Kock was younger. He turned 20 a few days before he made his T20 debut and played his first ODI about a month later.

Brevis is clearly in a different class from everyone else in that U19 team, but it's one thing scoring runs at that level where you're up against a mixed bag of bowlers (some won't be all that good but are just there because they're the right age) and senior cricket. So I'd like to see how he goes in domestic cricket and possibly South Africa A before playing internationals.

And right now De Kock, Malan, Bavuma, and Van der Dussen make up a pretty good top order, so fast-tracking him doesn't really need to be a priority.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Also it will be desperately unfair on van Tonder, who is (and was) just as special a talent (and Breetzke, if less so).
At the moment Van Tonder looks like he's a better red ball player than white ball, so it wouldn't necessarily be unfair to select Brevis for limited overs before him. And Brevis also has his bowling going for him, so could be a tailor-made replacement for Markram if South Africa want to continue with the 4 bowler/1 all-rounder/1 part-timer bowling lineup that played against India. But he'd definitely need to first get some overs under his belt in domestic cricket.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I don't care about LO cricket...

But if I did care I would have a squad of players under the age of 27, with lots in the 19 to 24 age category. Bryce Parsons will hopefully get a shot soon.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Calls for Brevis to play test cricket are definitely premature. It's entirely reasonable to think that he'll go well in the longer formats, but does need to prove that first.

And yes, very interested to see how Parsons goes. Our spin stocks are looking good at the moment, but they're all a similar sort of age being late 20s/early 30s. So we will need some younger spinners to start coming through.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And yes, very interested to see how Parsons goes. Our spin stocks are looking good at the moment, but they're all a similar sort of age being late 20s/early 30s. So we will need some younger spinners to start coming through.
I`m actually look at Parsons more as a big ball hitter than a bowler. Think his bowling will be serviceable at international level but a clean ball striker would be great for the LO team...

...if I bothered with LO stuff!

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
You guys forgetting another talent just about to turn 21, Jonothan Bird just made 150 not out and some wrist spin, looks good anywhere in top 4 for all formats hard hitting was also a class above in u19 world cup in sa with bryce parsons.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Rabada was a special case both in talent and for other reasons.

SA has plenty of batting talent, just need to select it.
Other reasons cause he is black? I think we have enough black fast bowlers coming through to get over the BEE story, also Breetze is not doing it for me, I would give Jannemann a go or Joshua Richards first.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Other reasons cause he is black? I think we have enough black fast bowlers coming through to get over the BEE story, also Breetze is not doing it for me, I would give Jannemann a go or Joshua Richards first.
But did you back when Rabada was 20/21? Which was what the context of the conversation was about.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Right now there are more places up for grabs in the England line-up, so there probably wasn't any chance that he'd be talked out of it.