• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That is horrible timing for him. We shall see if Hamza can also step up now that he has been given another opportunity.

Does give WP their second player in the squad.... :)

Dendarii

International Debutant
Erwee's there as cover for the openers, so Hamza probably would play ahead of him. As for Rickelton, it could come down to how important the racial makeup of the team is as Rickelton coming in would mean seven white players. I know that quotas are an average over the season and even so they're not particularly good at meeting that average, but you never know how much it's going to play a role in selection.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It depends how rigid they are. Erwee is picked as an opener. Rickelton the spare wk batsmen. So if they want Hamza as a replacement 3 then possibly.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Does hamza leapfrog rickelton and erwee?
Erwee's there as cover for the openers, so Hamza probably would play ahead of him. As for Rickelton, it could come down to how important the racial makeup of the team is as Rickelton coming in would mean seven white players. I know that quotas are an average over the season and even so they're not particularly good at meeting that average, but you never know how much it's going to play a role in selection.
Also depends if they see Rickleton as a keeper batsmen reserve for Kyle or can be a straight number 3, they used that excuse for not picking linde in the t20 world cup.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Erwee is able to bat 3 thought. He has been the reserve for a long time.

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm keeping this rant away from the tour thread...but that was an embarrassing performance if I've ever seen one. When we get pummeled to this extent it's usually in the subcontinental conditions and the usual excuses about spin etc etc are used. But this was different.

It wasn't out of character, but more an inevitable outcome. You have a bunch of batsman who have technical failings and the bowlers can't keep bailing them out.

1. What do they do about Markram? We all see his talent but he is averaging about 10 in his last 10 innings.
2. Erwee probably deserved a go due to putting runs on the board in domestic games for a prolonged time,but he is already in his 30s. Seems a very Stephen Cook/Pieter Malan selection.
3. It's telling that Rassie has had his best innings while chasing or in the 3rd innings. I don't think he knows how to construct his innings in Tests the way he does in LO games. Always gives it a fair shake but 14 games without a century from your 3/4? Not good enough.
4. Temba is always going to have some extra leeway and the India series showed where he is very useful,but if we want to post big totals,he isn't the man.
5. Now onto Verreynne: I don't know if he is better than Rickelton, but I was looking at him as a replacement for QDK. A Test quality batter and keeper. Maybe he will just be a nuggety keeper who needs to be at 7. Did score the most runs in this match but he looks like a knick waiting to happen.
6. The selection is hampering the side even more. What's the point of flying over Maharaj AND Harmer and then picking Stuurman? If they wanted the extra bowling option then Mulder needs to play with Maharaj. The thinking is so muddled and it is probably my biggest pet peeve when a spinner isn't picked and then a part timer starts bowling spin.

Bahseph

State Captain
I'd love to know why they seem intent on not giving Mulder a long run. What's the longest stretch of matches he has played in a row? 2? Yeah he hasn't fired with the bat but he has been contributing in the other disciplines and has upside.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve ranted enough on selection policy and the next cab of the rank attitude. And also the non-selection of spinners enough. I said 3 or 4 years ago that we will have the same problems if we aren’t forward looking and here we are.

Verreyenne looks a no7 wk that will avg low 30s at best international level. My problem is he does not look like a high enough quality keeper.

Markram needs to be dropped. Unfortunately his lack of improvement is very disconcerting and he is starting to remind me of Duminys career. Which we can’t afford while rebuilding.

Bahseph

State Captain
You were spot on that Jansen being as good as he was against India sent the selection thinking into a tail spin. They didn't feel like they could drop him,and I don't think they should have. But you have to be kidding if they think Olivier is anywhere near the same bowler he was before Kolpak. Unfortunately I don't see too many changes being made in the batting for the next game. Hopefully Ngidi is fit and they go Rabada,Jansen,Ngidi,Maharaj.

Flem274*

123/5
I know Olivier and Stuurman looked average at times but I thought they were fine to good as reserves for Ngidi and Nortje. Batting and catching deserves the frowns.

Maharaj is very unlucky this series is at Hagley. I rate him but a spinner is almost a wasted selection. Elsewhere in NZ, absolutely ignore NZs selection meme and the pitch colour, but not at Hagley.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Don't this management/selection team has the capability to make the right decision. Expect more of the same in the second test

Bahseph

State Captain
I know Olivier and Stuurman looked average at times but I thought they were fine to good as reserves for Ngidi and Nortje. Batting and catching deserves the frowns.

Maharaj is very unlucky this series is at Hagley. I rate him but a spinner is almost a wasted selection. Elsewhere in NZ, absolutely ignore NZs selection meme and the pitch colour, but not at Hagley.
Right you are about the bowling. What can you expect from the attack when 7(I think?) catches were put down? They are pros but heads will drop.
Edit: Olivier is a wicket taker but he isn't the enforcer he once was. In that aspect I don't think he is a replacement for Nortje anymore.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Bowling not the problem as such... but still picking players that are not great is not a good look. Stuurman is never going to be truly world class and Olivier is not what he once was. As far as I`m concerned Mulder can do as good if not a better job than Stuurman and possibly Olivier at the moment. Ngidi getting injured was not great. So the bowling selection is more to do with bad selection policy for the squad and then for the team balance overall. This comes from muddled thinking, and is particularly present within the batting selections.

SA people by and large think in a very regimented way, things must be done in order, in the considered 'right way'. But if you question the 'right way' that things have always been done in, you find yourself questioning the establishment or the 'cricketing knowledge' in this case. And that is 'Wrong'. Where SA stands right now was entirely predictable, was not unforeseen (been talking about it for years). And I`m not just talking selection policy here. Even the problems with management and Boucher, Smith. Entirely predictable, and entirely expected. Both what Boucher had done in the past, the reaction to his appointment from all directions. Mostly what I do nowadays is cross my fingers and hope its not gonna be that bad.