• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm. I'm surprised that they went with Reeza over Malan. Also surprised that Keshav is there when be hasn't even played a T20? I would have also kept Linde. But they are backing Fortuin? Strange.

1. QDK (wk)
2. Bavuma (Cpt)
3. Markram
4. Rassie
5. Miller
6. Klassen/Mulder
7. Hulk
8. Keshav
9. Rabada
10. Ngidi/Nortje
11. Shamsi

Really don't see why they would go for Hulk above Andile if he isn't going to play.
Mulder and Pretorius must be competing for a spot in the 11, not with Klaasen? Keshav I'm fine with because I think he should have been selected long time ago.

Bahseph

State Captain
Mulder and Pretorius must be competing for a spot in the 11, not with Klaasen? Keshav I'm fine with because I think he should have been selected long time ago.
Yes that's an error on my part. I think Klaasen is probably one of our fastest scorers after Miller so I think he is playing. Plus he has some really good sweeps.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Hmm. I'm surprised that they went with Reeza over Malan. Also surprised that Keshav is there when be hasn't even played a T20? I would have also kept Linde. But they are backing Fortuin? Strange.
I can think of a reason why they went with Hendricks and Fortuin, which has nothing to do with cricket...

I did see another graphic which had Maharaj second on the list behind Bavuma with everybody else in alphabetical order. So that suggests that Maharaj is in there as the vice-captain. I don't have a huge problem with his selection if that's the case, other than Maharaj not having played a T20, but it is harsh on Linde who's done everything right so far.

I suppose the other big talking point is no Faf. I guess that's not really a surprise given that he hasn't featured in any of the recent squads, but it was never made clear that they were done with him as the possibility of his return was always being hinted at.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I can think of a reason why they went with Hendricks and Fortuin, which has nothing to do with cricket...

I did see another graphic which had Maharaj second on the list behind Bavuma with everybody else in alphabetical order. So that suggests that Maharaj is in there as the vice-captain. I don't have a huge problem with his selection if that's the case, other than Maharaj not having played a T20, but it is harsh on Linde who's done everything right so far.

I suppose the other big talking point is no Faf. I guess that's not really a surprise given that he hasn't featured in any of the recent squads, but it was never made clear that they were done with him as the possibility of his return was always being hinted at.
This was done with Tahir and Morris as well... but I think that was more media hype than CSA, manufactured controversy and all.

The problem for me with the argument that is was done for not cricketing reasons is how Pretorius and Mulder get picked but not Linde. I would rather have Linde than Pretorius playing if that is the case. But I have a bias against Pretorius anyway.

Dendarii

International Debutant
This was done with Tahir and Morris as well... but I think that was more media hype than CSA, manufactured controversy and all.
The difference that Tahir and Morris have been out of the frame for a while while Faf was still playing international cricket at the beginning of the year. And since he required from test cricket only, that suggested that he was still going to be considered for the shorter stuff, even if it did start to look more unlikely as time went on.

The problem for me with the argument that is was done for not cricketing reasons is how Pretorius and Mulder get picked but not Linde. I would rather have Linde than Pretorius playing if that is the case. But I have a bias against Pretorius anyway.
Trying to understand the selectors' thinking (and I realise that way madness can lie), maybe the reason behind their inclusion is to have a first-choice seam bowling all-rounder and a backup, and they've finally realised that Phehlukwayo has been out of sorts for a while now.

But on the subject of backups, is Fortuin really the best backup for Maharaj? Not so much from a bowling perspective, but Linde offers more with the bat than Fortuin.

Bahseph

State Captain
I think it's clear that the team management and selectors like Hulk. I don't think his selection is that unfathomable because Mulder hasn't struck me as someone who hits out from ball one. More a classical batsman. Phelukwayo has not proven himself as a T20 hitter either. So if they want a T20 player then I see the logic.

I think Bavuma,Reeza and Malan are too similar in their mo. Markram has been good in T20s. Doesn't seem muddled and goes for his shots.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think Bavuma,Reeza and Malan are too similar in their mo.
Yeah, I think it was the three of them competing for two spots, so Malan missing out isn't too surprising.

Markram has been good in T20s. Doesn't seem muddled and goes for his shots.
He also gives you an additional bowling option. I don't think he should be one of our five bowlers but

Rasimione

U19 Captain
I'm not too sure Mulder deserves to go to be honest. I reckon Hulk is the better T20 player. Linde not going is pure madness. The lack of black batsmen has finally shown us up.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Despite all the things going on with the South African team, both on and off the field, they have been building up some good momentum ahead of the T20 World Cup. Obviously, the quality of the opposition has to be taken into account, and this should by no means be taken as any indication as to what might happen at the World Cup, but a seven match winning streak still is something worth acknowledging.

Bahseph

State Captain
Agreed. I've been thinking about the selections and Shamsi essentially being given the responsibility of the main spinner has really seen him come into his own. He has been brilliant. In a way it would have been unfair on him to recall Tahir.

I'm a huge Linde fan but Maharaj being the number 2 LO spinner is fine for me because he is a superior bowler. I still wish Linde was in but Fortuin has been good. I also feel that Keshav understands how to captain spinners. He seems to be able to get the best out of Markram as well.

Now I can't see us going in with Rabada at 7. So I'm sure Hulk is playing but it might be a toss up between Fortuin,Nortje and Ngidi.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I still wish Linde was in but Fortuin has been good.
Yeah, you definitely can't fault Fortuin's performances with the ball, and we're suddenly in a previously unknown position where we're overflowing with spin options, any of whom can do a good job. I don't have any particular issue with the three they've gone with, apart from Linde being a better batsmen than any of them, but the way that Linde and Tahir have been treated was a poor showing by the selectors.

I also feel that Keshav understands how to captain spinners. He seems to be able to get the best out of Markram as well.
Hopefully he can continue to have some influence when Bavuma returns as captain as spin is obviously going to be important at the World Cup.

Now I can't see us going in with Rabada at 7.
I don't understand Rabada coming in ahead of Maharaj. I know that Rabada's been striking the ball well of late, but surely Maharaj is still the better batsman?

Bahseph

State Captain
So the T20 WC is done and dusted...South Africa were competitive in all their games which was nice to see. Moving forward I think it's reasonable to assume we shouldn't he seeing more Reeza at the top of the order. Just gets stuck to often imo. Rabada also hasn't been great in T20I cricket even if his batting has improved. Hulk was surprisingly good with the ball in this tournament. Especially since he had the tough job of bowling at the death. The next WC is in Aus so there should be some changes. Would they go with two spinners again? Keshav was great in his role but perhaps you pick Linde this time and get Ngidi in there for the Australian tracks.

1. QDK
2. Bavuma
3. Rassie
4. Markram
5. ??
6. Miller
7. Linde
8. Rabada
9. Nortje
10. Ngidi
11. Shamsi

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I would not worry to much about the next T20... the team will be experimented with a bit before it settles down for the next T20WC. More interested to see what the selections for the Test team will be.

Bahseph

State Captain
Big series coming up. I think the core of the Test side is pretty easy to pick at the moment.

1. Elgar (Cpt)
2. Markram
4. Rassie
6. QDK (Wk)
7. Mulder
8. Maharaj
9. Rabada
10. Nortje
11. Ngidi

Now I assume Temba will be in the mix somehow...but Petersen and Verreynne should be as well. But there should be some bolters from the current domestic 4 day comp. The Test team will look so much more assured once Mulder starts producing with the blade.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Moving forward I think it's reasonable to assume we shouldn't he seeing more Reeza at the top of the order. Just gets stuck to often imo.
Hendricks is a bit of a frustrating player. He gets good scores just often enough that you can understand why they remain interested in him, but he doesn't get them consistently enough to justify a regular starting spot.

His selection also poses a problem in that both he and Bavuma have to open as it just doesn't work dropping them down the order. So we need to find a middle order batsman (possibly more than one because I don't know how much longer Miller has) and I'm not sure who that should be as the leading run scorers in the recent domestic T20 competition were all top order players.