• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
I am surprised their was not a consideration for an extra spinner in the squad, considering it is Potch.
There is talk that an all-rounder at 7 is the option Gibson wants. Moving forward maybe but not sure yet with our batting line-up needing to find confidence in itself.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There is talk that an all-rounder at 7 is the option Gibson wants. Moving forward maybe but not sure yet with our batting line-up needing to find confidence in itself.
It explains a lot about the Parnell replacements and the notice Mulder was given if Parnell is not fit. He obviously would like at least 2 allrounders in the squad. Which is a bit of an issue with Morris and Philander out. Phehlukwayo and Mulder are to young (I don't mind them being around the squad just not playing tests.) And I really, really would not like seeing Parnell playing for us again. Hopefully they use sense and play de Bruyn for this match and Philander is back for the next.

SeamUp

International Coach
It explains a lot about the Parnell replacements and the notice Mulder was given if Parnell is not fit. He obviously would like at least 2 allrounders in the squad. Which is a bit of an issue with Morris and Philander out. Phehlukwayo and Mulder are to young (I don't mind them being around the squad just not playing tests.) And I really, really would not like seeing Parnell playing for us again. Hopefully they use sense and play de Bruyn for this match and Philander is back for the next.
Sounds like Vernon is confident to be back for the 2nd but then he surely has to play for the Cobras tomorrow.

Parnell rejected SA A for Carribean T20. The guy should be back at the Cobras and not anywhere near SA set-up.

SeamUp

International Coach
Schedule for the summer.

Bangladesh Tour To SA

September 28-October 2: 1st Test, Senwes Park, Potchefstroom (10am)

October 6-10: 2nd Test, Mangaung Oval, Bloemfontein (10am)

October 12: One-dayer v SA Invitation XI, Mangaung Oval, Bloemfontein (10am)

October 15: 1st ODI, Diamond Oval, Kimberley (10am)

October 18: 2nd ODI, Boland Park, Paarl (10am)

October 22: 3rd ODI, Buffalo Park, East London (10am)

October 26: 1st T20, Mangaung Oval, Bloemfontein (6pm)

October 29: 2nd T20, Senwes Park, Potchefstroom (2.30pm)

Zimbabwe Tour To SA

December 20-22: Zimbabwe v SA Invitation XI, Boland Park, Paarl (2pm)

December 26-29: Test, St George’s Park, Port Elizabeth (2pm)

India Tour To SA

December 30-31: Two-day warm-up, Boland Park, Paarl (TBC)

January 5-9: 1st Test, Newlands, Cape Town (10.30am)

January 13-17: 2nd Test, SuperSport Park, Centurion (10am)

January 24-28: 3rd Test, Wanderers, Johannesburg (10am)

February 1: 1st ODI, Kingsmead, Durban (1.30pm)

February 4: 2nd ODI, SuperSport Park, Centurion (10am)

February 7: 3rd ODI, Newlands, Cape Town (1.30pm)

February 10: 4th ODI, Wanderers, Johannesburg (1.30pm)

February 13: 5th ODI, St George’s Park, Port Elizabeth (1.30pm)

February 16: 6th ODI, SuperSport Park, Centurion (1.30pm)

February 18: 1st T20, Wanderers, Johannesburg (2.30pm)

February 21: 2nd T20, SuperSport Park, Centurion (6pm)

February 24: 3rd T20, Newlands, Cape Town (6pm)

Australia Tour To SA

February 22-24: Australia v SA Invitation XI, Willowmoore, Benoni

March 1-5: 1st Test, Kingsmead, Durban (10am)

March 9-13: 2nd Test, St George’s Park, Port Elizabeth (10am)

March 22-26: 3rd Test, Newlands, Cape Town (10.30am)

March 30-April 3: 4th Test, Wanderers, Johannesburg (10am)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I have no idea why we need 6 ODI's and 3 T20's against India.... but at least it is a 4 Test series against Aus.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would have rather had it as 4 Tests, 3 ODIs and 3 T20s. But if the ODI will get the RSA board more money, who are we to argue?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I would have rather had it as 4 Tests, 3 ODIs and 3 T20s. But if the ODI will get the RSA board more money, who are we to argue?
I think that a 4th test during the summer holidays may have done pretty well in Durban compared to the 4 extra ODI`s. 6 ODI`s just seems so much, and my feelings on T20`s is at best mildly tolerant.

SeamUp

International Coach
I have no idea why we need 6 ODI's and 3 T20's against India.... but at least it is a 4 Test series against Aus.
South Africa - Traditional boxing day test and New Year's test.
India no traditional cricket test dates in that period.

It is clear BCCI are trying to pull domineering tactics on CSA.

Just a pity one board had to arrange another tour vs Sri Lanka otherwise we would have had those 4 tests.

I don't think they could have fitted in 4-tests with keeping 3 ODI's and 3 T20s in that time frame especially with a test before then and 4 more to come with Australia. Ideally the 4th test ends in Joburg around 17 Jan normally.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
South Africa - Traditional boxing day test and New Year's test.
India no traditional cricket test dates in that period.

It is clear BCCI are trying to pull domineering tactics on CSA.

Just a pity one board had to arrange another tour vs Sri Lanka otherwise we would have had those 4 tests.

I don't think they could have fitted in 4-tests with keeping 3 ODI's and 3 T20s in that time frame especially with a test before then and 4 more to come with Australia. Ideally the 4th test ends in Joburg around 17 Jan normally.

SL wanted to host an Independence Trophy around their Independence Day time. The only other time India could have scheduled the SL tour was in the same period. Hence it was pre-poned to december.

Just a small point but they didn't have to schedule that series...
Yeah, who needs home season games in cricket's biggest market? 8-)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SL wanted to host an Independence Trophy around their Independence Day time. The only other time India could have scheduled the SL tour was in the same period. Hence it was pre-poned to december.
Yeah, who needs home season games in cricket's biggest market? 8-)
Nobody is denying why they did it.... it is that they did it to the determient of the SA/Ind tour by allowing another (un-needed tour) with SL (a short while after already playing SL). Hence why India don't sign up to the FTP because they, as the powerhouse, get to make last minute changes as and when they like. So be it, does not mean as cricket lovers we have to like it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I hugely enjoyed the commentators speaking yesterday regards Markram... trying to not play up his debut to much, on a flat track with the problems SA has had with openers. But anybody who watched Markram yesterday and compares him to Kuhn/Cook technique is talking chalk and cheese. I can't see Markram losing his spot in the SA test team anytime soon. What I want to know is considering his big hitting nature is there space for him in the ODI team?

SeamUp

International Coach
Couldn't agree more.

Problem for limited overs is that he won't be breaking up QdK and Amla ? I can see him playing T20.

SeamUp

International Coach
Was just thinking about what lies for us in the future.

Do we expect any of these Kolpak players to play for SA again ? Probably no.

Levi, Rossouw, van Zyl, Ackermann, Ingram
Vilas
Wiese, McLaren
Harmer
Abbott, Kleinveldt, de Lange, Viljoen

Current main internationals.

30+
Elgar (30), Amla (34), Faf (33), AB (33), JP (33), Behardien (34)
Tahir (38)
Steyn (34), Morkel (33), Philander (32), Morris (30)

Others

Miller (28), Bavuma (27), de Bruyn (25), Markram (23)
de Kock (25)
Maharaj (27)
Phehlukwayo (21)
Parnell (28), Olivier (25), Rabada (22)

Then looking to what comes after this. Taking spinners like von Berg (31), Phangiso (33), Shamsi (27), Piedt (27), Linde (26), Subrayen (24), Simmonds(23), Fortuin (23) out.

Older Group (25+) - To me T20 stuff is for the better limited overs players bar maybe Zondo but he needs to put such numbers on the board for me to be convinced and then actually step up for the A team.

JJ Smuts (29), Ramela (29), R.Hendricks (28), Zondo (27)
Second (28), Mosehle (27), Klaasen (26)
Pretorius (28)
Paterson (28), Dala (28), B.Hendricks (27), Magala (26)

For me it's about these guys in the next few seasons what they do. Especially when that senior core retires in 2019.

We need these guys to start pushing for SA A but frustrating for the one's not playing franchise yet.

Openers
Keegan Petersen (24)
Edward Moore (24)
Ryan Rickelton (21)
Janneman Malan (21)

Openers/Top-order

Grant Roelofsen (21)
Matthew Breetzke (19)
Jiveshan Pillay (18)

Top-order/middle-order

Zubayr Hamza (22)
Jason Smith (23)
Leus du Plooy (22)
Tony de Zorzi (20)
Marques Ackerman (21)
Raynard van Tonder (19)

Middle-order Limited overs

Rivaldo Moonsamy (21)
Sibonelo Makhanya (21)

Keepers
Clyde Fortuin (22)
Kyle Verreynne (20)

All-rounders
Calvin Savage (24)
Wiaan Mulder (19)
Dayyaan Galiem (20)

Fast-bowlers
Lungi Ngidi (21)
Daryn Dupavillon (23)
Anrich Nortje (24)
Migael Pretorius (22)
Corbin Bosch (23)
Lwandiswa Zuma (21)
Michael Cohen (19)
Lutho Sipamla (19)
Gerald Coetzee (17)
Thando Ntini (17)
Fraser Jones (17)

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nobody is denying why they did it.... it is that they did it to the determient of the SA/Ind tour by allowing another (un-needed tour) with SL (a short while after already playing SL). Hence why India don't sign up to the FTP because they, as the powerhouse, get to make last minute changes as and when they like. So be it, does not mean as cricket lovers we have to like it.

You have obviously not read Marc's posts on the matter. His opinion on this is the absolute definition of false biased drivel.

And look, the timing argument is debatable as in, if SLC wanted that Independence Cup to happen, it just had to happen around their INdependence Day and else it will make no sense. And SL have not toured India for tests for a while now, if anything our tour to SL was probably unnecessary as we just toured there 2 years ago, not this one. And of course, those 3 are the only tests we get in our home season this year. With the seasons for most of the test playing nations overlapping around Oct-March, such situations will keep happening. You just have to give up here and there. Ideally I would have liked CSA to push for 4 tests and have India tour seperately next year for ODIs and T20s. But we all know ODIs make them more money than tests and T20s. And that is what has happened here. My point is CSA and BCCI have both acted on their own interests, its nothing to villify one board about while giving a free pass to the other.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
@ Seamup. I'm almost certain none of those Kolpak players you mentioned will play for SA again except Rossouw. I know things ended badly with him but they clearly like him in the SA setup.

SeamUp

International Coach
@ Seamup. I'm almost certain none of those Kolpak players you mentioned will play for SA again except Rossouw. I know things ended badly with him but they clearly like him in the SA setup.
I thought this a year ago but I'm starting to believe if we struggling desperately they may only need him.

Harmer for me is an interesting one. He could qualify for England.

Ackermann maybe play for Holland.

Bahseph

State Captain
Man I feel for Harmer. He didn't do anything wrong when he played Tests, he looked quite threatening actually. Just got the short end of the stick. If we lose him to England that will be a bitter pill to swallow because he has been the most open about why he took the Kolpak deal.

SeamUp

International Coach
Man I feel for Harmer. He didn't do anything wrong when he played Tests, he looked quite threatening actually. Just got the short end of the stick. If we lose him to England that will be a bitter pill to swallow because he has been the most open about why he took the Kolpak deal.
Very true. Supposedly spoke to Domingo about needing this and coming back.

Most cricket scribes in England say he was the best signing of the season there.

Will be interesting to follow.

Bahseph

State Captain
Keshav has been brilliant, but I don't think he is worlds ahead of Harmer. He isn't old by any means so I hope he does play for SA again.