• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And perhaps something more than "Boxing Day test against Zimbabwe". There could be a concern that there are a significant number of people who would have gone to see India but won't bother because it's Zimbabwe.
Well it is December so we will have all the people from up above, running to the coast and throwing themselves in the water like lemmings... they might go see a few days of cricket as well.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Markram gets his chance vs bangladesh. Parnell picked as philander/morris replacement. Needs to pass a fitness test. Mulder drafted in as cover.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
No real surprises, but Mulder to early (as mentioned by SeamUp elsewhere) I hope they do not play Parnell. Rabada not getting any wickets this Sunfoil round does not bode well. Hopefully bowling within himself.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Rabada not getting any wickets this Sunfoil round does not bode well. Hopefully bowling within himself.
The matches have all been run-fests, so it's difficult to assess the current form of the bowlers as not too many have come looking any good.

SeamUp

International Coach
The matches have all been run-fests, so it's difficult to assess the current form of the bowlers as not too many have come looking any good.
Probably is better this way than the traditional early season shocker where teams are getting bundled for 80-120 like there have been in recent years.

Magala showing his pace through the air and whippy action working.

But then again little seamers of Siboto and van Schalwyk have picked up 5-fors.

Dendarii

International Debutant
So are we talking 7 bats (QDK batting top 6) and 4 bowlers or 6 bats an allrounder and 4 bowlers?
With the backup bowlers being allrounders, it does point to them considering six batsmen. Then again, De Bruyn's 195 is tough to ignore, even if he did blot his copybook by getting out to Justin Ontong...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I am surprised their was not a consideration for an extra spinner in the squad, considering it is Potch.

SeamUp

International Coach
I am surprised their was not a consideration for an extra spinner in the squad, considering it is Potch.
Depends if the groundsman can work his magic so that it goes back to normal - Flat but with decent pace and bounce.

Suppose they may call upon Markram a bit.

SeamUp

International Coach
It's been an interesting few months debating the opening position. In a funny sort of way it may have worked out nicely.

Carl Lewis‏
@Carl_LewisZA
While things did work out with Markram set to debut - spare a thought for Cook, in hindsight he was dropped a series too early - 3 Test tons

Tristan Holme‏ @tristanholme 2h2 hours ago
More Tristan Holme Retweeted Carl Lewis
Also feel for Heino Kuhn. Think South Africa will look back one day and thank him for taking a bullet in England

SeamUp

International Coach
Positive buzz around Dean & Aiden

Stable opening partnership the key for Porteas, says Dean Elgar

Perfect time for Markram debut ? Faf

Such good words from a young man.

‘We have a good understanding of each other’s games (on opening with Elgar) and how we operate. I am excited to go with him,’ Markram told TimesLive.

‘I know that this is a very big opportunity and responsibility and I don’t take it for granted,’ he said. ‘I don’t want to put myself under any sort of pressure. It is a reality that is here but I won’t allow it to affect me too much.’

SeamUp

International Coach
Love you Big Vern. Just cut down the beer and boerewors rolls in your spare time :D

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/cricket...11363845?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Big Vern has ‘good chat’ with Faf about #Proteas fitness

“The rehab has been going really well and I’m feeling a lot stronger,” said Philander. “The plan is to be available for the second Test (that starts October 6 in Bloemfontein).”

“Too many times the team has gasped ‘Vern could be injured again’. So he understands from a fitness point of view with important series coming up, Australia and India at home, he needs to be fit to get through all eight Tests,” Du Plessis said at the time.

“It’s international sport, you’ll always find criticism... as long as it’s constructive, then I’m all for it. You’ve got to take it on the chin

“Myself and Faf had a good chat afterwards, the way the two of us nailed down things was quite constructive at the end of the day. As long as you’re open and honest with each other, that’s the key thing.

“He made his view clear and obviously I made mine clear to him. As long as we understand each other, we’ve got a road to walk together.”

“It’s not about the amount of cricket we play. It’s that when we play and about when we have those rest periods and (so that we) put in the work, get stronger, stay fit, so we can stay on the park,” he remarked.