• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Stefan9

International Debutant
So what type of pitch do we expect boucher & co will want prepared for boxing day? Stick to the gibson mentality of as green as possible or going back to proper good test wickets? Hoping for the later.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I suspect a good 5 day test wicket (not overly green) but with a bit of pace and bounce is going to be the asked for pitch. Centurion may be a bit slower than they would like.

SeamUp

International Coach
If Faf gets the standard Centurion pitch I bet you if he wins the toss he will say we will bat first as the wicket is slow first day and quickens up.

Do we expect the traditional cracks day 4-5 with all the rain that has been in the area ?

SeamUp

International Coach
Only South Africans sold in IPL auction today were Morris and Miller

Add Dale on about the 3rd time of asking.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Temba Bavuma out of the first test with a Grade 1 Hip Flexor muscle strain.

Guess that is why Keegan Petersen was called up for the A team

Dendarii

International Debutant
So with Bavuma out, we'll probably be looking at this team:

Elgar
Markram/Malan
Hamza
Van Der Dussen
Du Plessis
De Kock
Pretorius/Second
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje

Malan only plays if Markram's not fit, and then it's just a question of whether they go with Pretorius or Second, and I suspect that it'll be Pretorius.

SeamUp

International Coach
So with Bavuma out, we'll probably be looking at this team:

Elgar
Markram/Malan
Hamza
Van Der Dussen
Du Plessis
De Kock
Pretorius/Second
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje

Malan only plays if Markram's not fit, and then it's just a question of whether they go with Pretorius or Second, and I suspect that it'll be Pretorius.
Think that is spot on.

Pretorious will play. More and more convinced of it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I hate Pretorius being in the squad so much... because he is such an easy guy to pick over everybody else, without actually adding to the team in any one particular role. If his batting is acceptable then he keeps his spot in front of Mulder, if his bowling is acceptable then he keeps his spot because '5th bowler' work load etc. Thus he takes a spot from players who have much greater potential; And knowing SA selection they will give him a enough 'opportunity' that we fail to actually start developing a team long term.

Stefan9

International Debutant
If Faf gets the standard Centurion pitch I bet you if he wins the toss he will say we will bat first as the wicket is slow first day and quickens up.

Do we expect the traditional cracks day 4-5 with all the rain that has been in the area ?
Its been very hot this week in pretoria after last week's rain. So expect it to crack unless it rains during the test week.

SeamUp

International Coach
Its been very hot this week in pretoria after last week's rain. So expect it to crack unless it rains during the test week.
Exciting. Hope the pitch has good pace and bounce. England may have Archer now but it still would suit us more.

SeamUp

International Coach
They will be well drilled to come close to catching everything. But that is a brand new combo.

@KenBorland

Judging by how they are practising at SuperSport Park right now, Proteas slip cordon will be Rassie, Hamza & Elgar. With Quinny keeping, he's been working hard with the gloves today

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Off topic, but the word vomit from Firdose this morning really irritated me... particularly the 'explainer'. I really have to stop reading her articles.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Markram out for 30. I have to admit I am starting to worry about him. Such a good player that I think has lost confidence. Hopefully he scores a double on boxing day.

Dendarii

International Debutant