• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
Right, Pretorious and Rassie are in Gents.
1. Elgar
2. Rassie
3. Hamza
5. Faf
6. QDK
7. Pretorious
8. Vern
9. Keshav
10. Rabada
11. Nortje

This is what I assume we field if we are playing Pretorious and Rassie.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Right, Pretorious and Rassie are in Gents.
1. Elgar
2. Rassie
3. Hamza
5. Faf
6. QDK
7. Pretorious
8. Vern
9. Keshav
10. Rabada
11. Nortje

This is what I assume we field if we are playing Pretorious and Rassie.

You got one short. I presume markram will open and rassie will bat 4.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I'm not singling anyone out as I've seen the error made elsewhere, but now that he's in the test side, can we please get his name right? It's Pretorius - only one 'o'.

SeamUp

International Coach
I reckon with Vern & Hulk playing (similar medium paced speeds) they going to go with another bowler capable of hitting the deck at high speeds for the cracks to help KG out so reckon they will go Nortje. If it was swing conditions like at Wanderers then Beuran would have come into serious consideration.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hendricks advantage may be the left arm variation he brings. Not sure he should be bowling at Test level though.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think sometimes too much emphasis gets placed on the left armer thing. Yes, it offers something different, but selection should be on performance not on a desire for variation, especially since right arm fast bowlers can differ quite a lor e.g. Philander vs Morkel. And if you look and some of the bowlers South Africa have picked in recent years - combinations of Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Rabada, Abbott, Olivier, and Ngidi - there's no way you can say "This lineup would be so much better if one of the bowlers was a left armer rather than a right armer".

SeamUp

International Coach
It's probably more of a role player in limited overs cricket too where left-arm variation can be useful.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Don't want to clog up the tour thread. But the more I watch the SA team the more frustrated I am with the selection. Some real talent but the team needs to be given time to get better and more experinced. I happy with the Rassie selection. But picking bits and piece players like Pretorius is just frustrating. I am sure if fit Wiaan would have been selected. But still.

I do also reiterate that Markram either needs time at FC level, and long term should not be opening.

Based on current squad:

Prefer:
Elgar
Malan
Hamza
Markram
Faf
Rassie
QDK
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje

I do wonder if Philanders retirement may keep Pretorius in squad for longer than I would like. Mulder needs to come in 6/7 as soon as he shows form. Moore or J.Malan should probably be opening. I go back to wanting van Tonder in this squad asap hope he scores alot at domestic.

SeamUp

International Coach
If Verreynne keeps scoring runs like he is, very serious... I do think though that QDK should keep the gloves. Verreynne is good enough to play as a batsmen.
It is the one I''m trying work out for QdK even if for different seasons.

Think this is Verreynne's 3rd season in franchise cricket and he only scored his first 100 (2 in the same match) this season. He seems king of those 70 (90) balls type player.

4-day season is so interesting for so many reasons this season. Opportunity first and foremost but little things like can Verreynne be a regular 100-scorer and get into the test team as just a batsmen. I think Second definitely is that type. Just whether he is good enough.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So based on current prospects don't think that Verreynne makes the Test side. But will almost definitely get into the LO setup.

SeamUp

International Coach
So based on current prospects don't think that Verreynne makes the Test side. But will almost definitely get into the LO setup.
He could be a Jonty Rhodes type middle order player. Always busy , playing around the ground with the odd big shot. Before you know it, run-a-ball 50 which I think might be what we looking for. We need some reliability at the moment but who can still score quick enough. The balance between risk and reward.

It depends what we looking for too. I think they will stick with Miller, Pretorius, Phehlukwayo for now. Only other guys capable of clearing the ropes with power shots in the middle to middle-lower order ? Marais , van Biljon, Linde , Klaasen ? It is not exactly a strong point for us right now.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Marais is the only middle/lower order big shot player at the moment. I see us going for a few allrounders in the LO team, Linde and Andile in particular. .... of course ABdV could always come back!