• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Well it is less than 2 weeks for the first Test so maybe bringing them into NZ early? Don`t think there is time for a practice match between the ODI`s and Tests?
Yeah looks like no warm-up game at all.

If they catching a flight Friday night I would understand.

Dendarii

International Debutant
While on topic, Vernon had his first 50-over game back last night. Steady and unspectacular but crucial to keep him ticking over for New Zealand.
He also hit 16 off 8 balls at the end of the Cobras' innings. So he hasn't done his chances of being selected for the Champions Trophy any harm at all.

SeamUp

International Coach
He also hit 16 off 8 balls at the end of the Cobras' innings. So he hasn't done his chances of being selected for the Champions Trophy any harm at all.
Probably Parnell's place under most threat but similar in style to Pretorius/Phahlukwayo in bowling.

Only Vern and Morne can force their way in probably.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Probably Parnell's place under most threat but similar in style to Pretorius/Phahlukwayo in bowling.
That's true. As much as I'd like to see the back of Parnell, Philander's not really a like-for-like replacement. But maybe English conditions, experience, and direness from Parnell will give him the nod.

Only Vern and Morne can force their way in probably.
Probably. Unless there's a spate of injuries, in which case someone like De Lange might come into contention, but that's unlikely to happen,

akilana

International 12th Man
Code:
The all rounders have done well and it would be harah on them to be dropped. So it will be interesting to see who has impressed the selectors the most. Picking Philander is going backward. If only abbott....

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Code:
The all rounders have done well and it would be harah on them to be dropped. So it will be interesting to see who has impressed the selectors the most. Picking Philander is going backward. If only abbott....
Agree. They need time and to be fair they haven't let us down. Last game was close too.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA's Guppy according to TT Boy

Northerns definitely the new kings of cricket talent producing in SA. Transvaal/Gauteng, Natal and WP have had their moments. EP/Border have produced top players but couldn't keep them. FS have had their moments especially late 80s-early-90s.

Last 10-15 years coming through domestic system and being strong domestic players pushing for SA honours.

Pretoria Boys : Markram, Harmer, Morris
Affies : Rudolph, de Villiers, du Plessis, Kuhn, K. van Wyk, Wagner ( du Plooy, Kaber, de Swardt, Trumpelmann on the way)
Menlopark : de Bruyn, vd Dussen, Klaasen
Waterkloof : P.Malan, Viljoen [ J. Malan, M. Pretorius on the way]
Centurion : Olivier, von Berg
St Albans : Moonsamy [Former Titans captain Gerald Dros & had recent SA u19 rep Josh van Heerden]

Guys like Dale Steyn, Marchant de Lange, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel , David Wiese from surrounding areas from the union and from smaller schools. (Mbhalati/Joubert to a lesser extent)

Free State have signed fast bowler Beyers Swanepoel from Northerns school Garsfontein (mainly rugby but cricket is growing like a lot of the schools new to producing cricketers like Menlopark, Waterkloof, Centurion etc) and he opened the bowling with Trumpelmann above and both were unlucky to miss out on SA u19/schools selections.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Probable team for first test against NZ.
Cook
Elgar
Amla
Duminy
Faf
Bavuma
QDK
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Olivier/Morris/Parnell/Morkel

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not playing today and the Cobras attack went for 400. Though I think South Africa are well stocked for all rounders and if the one day wickets in England for the Champions Trophy are anything like they have been in the past few seasons e.g. 300 isn't a good total, what worth would he bring?
Think what they are missing is a wicket taker and not having Rabada the other day was a big loss. He bowled very well at Hamilton on a slow surface, and still had some of the New Zealanders on the back foot.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Maharaj takes a 5 for the Dolphins, to win them the game. Bavuma scores a 74 for the Lions trying to keep the innings together. Looks like good form for both players, nice for SA.

SeamUp

International Coach
Probable team for first test against NZ.
Cook
Elgar
Amla
Duminy
Faf
Bavuma
QDK
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Olivier/Morris/Parnell/Morkel
6 seamers is odd. If there were tour games I would understand.

I understand them not taking two spinners because quite plainly I am not sure anyone else deserves the role right now. Harmer (can't be picked), Piedt, Shamsi probably haven't said I am the guy to pick and with the tour being to New Zealand there really wasn't any need.

Would be nice to see a Theunis de Bruyn debut this tour but obviously not a certainty. But he looks in majestic touch.

SeamUp

International Coach
That's true. As much as I'd like to see the back of Parnell, Philander's not really a like-for-like replacement. But maybe English conditions, experience, and direness from Parnell will give him the nod.

Probably. Unless there's a spate of injuries, in which case someone like De Lange might come into contention, but that's unlikely to happen,
BBC still reckon Glamorgan are trying to get de Lange : Timm van der Gugten: Glamorgan bowler in doubt for start of the season - BBC Sport

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
6 seamers is odd. If there were tour games I would understand.

I understand them not taking two spinners because quite plainly I am not sure anyone else deserves the role right now. Harmer (can't be picked), Piedt, Shamsi probably haven't said I am the guy to pick and with the tour being to New Zealand there really wasn't any need.

Would be nice to see a Theunis de Bruyn debut this tour but obviously not a certainty. But he looks in majestic touch.
I reckon Parnell/Morris is in because it gives us the option (in theory) of having QdK at six and then Morris/Parnell Philander, Maharaz, Rabada, Morkel/Olivier, if its very flat and we need an additional bowler.

Personally, I think the team for the first Test at least will be: Cook, Elgar, Amla, Duminy, FdP, Bavuma, QDK, Philander, Maharaj, Rabada, Olivier.

If one of Duminy/Bavuma fails then De Bruyn could a game in the second Test.

SeamUp

International Coach
I reckon Parnell/Morris is in because it gives us the option (in theory) of having QdK at six and then Morris/Parnell Philander, Maharaz, Rabada, Morkel/Olivier, if its very flat and we need an additional bowler.

Personally, I think the team for the first Test at least will be: Cook, Elgar, Amla, Duminy, FdP, Bavuma, QDK, Philander, Maharaj, Rabada, Olivier.

If one of Duminy/Bavuma fails then De Bruyn could a game in the second Test.
Good point. With the pitches being pretty flat on the last tour especially, that may be in their thinking.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So what do you guys actually think about Morkel in the squad.... I initially was very happy, but having thought about it, he was definitely off pace here domestically. Was he just being cautious or should he have spent time domestically and not being put in the squad?

Dendarii

International Debutant
So what do you guys actually think about Morkel in the squad.... I initially was very happy, but having thought about it, he was definitely off pace here domestically. Was he just being cautious or should he have spent time domestically and not being put in the squad?
If he's not going to play in any of the test matches, then I don't think there's much point in having him in the squad. After the injury that he's had, he really needs to be getting overs under his belt rather than carrying drinks.

SeamUp

International Coach
I reckon he should have stayed playing for the Titans as well. Not much cricket after NZL Tour as he isn't playing IPL this year. Wonder if he will get county deal because he needs game time.

Heboric

International Debutant
I dunno when the test players arrive in New Zealand, but if South Africa win the next ODI, maybe have the idea of Morkel replacing Rabada for the fifth ODI - get some overs under the belt

Last edited: