• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
Makes you wonder how long Steyn can actually keep going...he's clearly struggling even when only having to bowl 4 overs, i hate to say the world cup might be a farewell but....
I haven't watched him bowl in the IPL, but considering that he's bowled all summer without incident, I don't think it's quite accurate to say that he's clearly struggling. It is a concern though, especially given his previous shoulder injury, so you could be right in saying that the World Cup might be a farewell, assuming he even makes it there.

Dendarii

International Debutant
It is difficult to know for sure what is going on but the way the injury is being spoken about you get the feeling Steyn/CSA decided he should come home and rather just get treatment and not take any unnecessary chances. But that may be my occasional optimistic side coming through....
I'm inclined to be a bit on the optimistic side as well. According to what SeamUp posted, Kohli described the injury as a niggle, and Steyn's only been prescribed rest. So that does point to something not too serious, but you never know, especially given that Steyn's reached the point in his career where injuries can become more frequent and coming back from them is no longer as certain.

SeamUp

International Coach
No doubt the 3 options they will look at it will be.

1. Junior Dala
2. Chris Morris
3. Beuran Hendricks

They all just don't have that something going for them at international level. T20 cricket they could work. You could even argue Morris/Hendricks are much better 4-day bowlers than 1-day bowlers.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
No doubt the 3 options they will look at it will be.

1. Junior Dala
2. Chris Morris
3. Beuran Hendricks

They all just don't have that something going for them at international level. T20 cricket they could work. You could even argue Morris/Hendricks are much better 4-day bowlers than 1-day bowlers.
It'd be Dala or Morris. Probably Morris.

As a dark horse offering, Sipamla and Burger would be interesting. But way too risky for the world cup.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I don't see it happening, but perhaps Philander as a very outisde dark horse? He's currently the joint leading wicket taker in the T20 competition (although Dala is third having played one game fewer), and he obviously would bolster the batting.

SeamUp

International Coach
Amla has withdrawn himself from the Cobras T20 squad and apologised to Cobras/staff.

He will be fine-tuning his batting personally before the world cup.

Being honest. I don't like it at all.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Amla has withdrawn himself from the Cobras T20 squad and apologised to Cobras/staff.

He will be fine-tuning his batting personally before the world cup.

Being honest. I don't like it at all.
Not good.... I am really starting to think he does not want to be playing but is being asked to stay on?

Dendarii

International Debutant
Convinced he has been asked to stay on.
In which case the selectors are at fault. It's quite clear Amla is struggling for runs, a situation not helped by his father's poor health, so he's not in a good place right now. I know not taking him to the World Cup is a big call given his experience and career record (and would have been unthinkable not so long ago), but I don't think it's realistic to expect him to suddenly come right at the tournament.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Leaning towards that's it for Dale?
I think it's difficult to tell from that article. Zondi could have simply been answering the question "What if Steyn's not fit?", in which case he was just confirming what the back up plan would be, and it doesn't necessarily mean that they will need to make use of that back up plan.

Borges

International Regular
Woo! Markram joining QdK, Tahir and Rabada as in-form players! Four now! Despite the Steyn worry, things are looking quite rosy for South Africa.