• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa bigger threat to Australia than England

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
aussie said:
Nel has been very impressive while Langevelt seems ok.
Yes but the question is can they perform consistently to help South Africa take 20 wickets against a team like Australia.

Nel is a good young bowler and it would be a delight if he can turn into the 'consistent performer' long term I am speaking about.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Yes but the question is can they perform consistently to help South Africa take 20 wickets against a team like Australia.

Nel is a good young bowler and it would be a delight if he can turn into the 'consistent performer' long term I am speaking about.
oh well in that case time will tell.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
EnglishRose said:
Yes indeedy.

South Africa may have lost to England but I think they rebounded well on their tour of the West Indies. Nel's return has given the Saffers a lot more firepower and he and Ntini form a potent new ball combo. This will be backed up up by the ever reliable Polly.
Smith provides strong leadership and the batting looks good again.

I feel the real battle of this year will take place in December between the Saffers and Australia and continuing on to February. I think it will be alot closer than the 5-1 scoreline last time.

English cricket has no depth.....their A team was well beaten in Sri Lanka recently and their u-19's got whitewashed in India. Few players of genuine quality are emerging from the English academies...something which even Rod Marsh (their coach) admitted.
SOuth Africa have a number of quality youngsters waiting in the wings e.g Imraan Khan, Keagan Africa, Brent Kops, Dale Steyn......
Cricket Australia te monitor the programs and development of other countries to gauge which teams will be a threat to Aussie world dominnace. They have identified South Africa as being a clear threat over the next ten years even tho they went thru a difficult period recently. England was not mentioned as a long term quality adversary.

SO there you go....England may be world no. 2 but it will only be short term. I can't see players like Harmison and Jones being anything other than inconsistent. ALso, England don't have a quality spinner in sight.....at least South Africa are rectifying this problem. Several promising spinners have been identified and sent to India for coaching.
I fully epect South Africa to be Australia's main challengers again within a year's time.
The beauty of sheer stupidity used to be that you never quite knew when it was going to show its head.

However, since English Rose has been posting on CricketWeb, it has become more and more easy to predict.

It goes something like this...

1. Oh, look, a post by English Rose. This ought to be intelligent, just going by the law of averages.
2. Nope.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Even I disagree with this :D

nah, great to hear you plugging guys like Keagan Africa and Brent Kops, I certainly believe SA cricket is in healthy times and good hands, and its nice to see such fierce competition between the likes of England/Aus and RSA... I think England are more likely to beat the Aussies though (and even thats unlikely)

I hope to see a ripsnorting series next season, with the right winner of course :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think South Africa are on par with India at about third in the world currently, but England are clearly a bigger threat.
you think the current indian team is on par with s.a and england...? i don't think so...

Beleg

International Regular
Please.

South Africa is a shadow of what It was 7 years ago. If that team wasn't good enough to oust Australia than I cannot see the current one doing any better. (Cough, cough, remember 2000?, granted that aussie team was marginally better in my opinion, still, the results speak for itself)

England, on the other hand, only require dedication from their batting (a big IF) and they have a real chance of putting up an excellent fight in the ashes.

I'll personally be hedging for a 3-2 aus favour weather permitting and English curators not quacking out.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
no England are a far better team atm than RSA in ODI cricket.
well after their performances since in the NWS i'm inclined to agree with that.

simmy

International Regular
Me too..

This is the most pathetic post... truly...

E.Rose is talking rubbish again! England are better in every regard. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

The latest test series was comprehensively won by England 2-1 but apart from some heroics from Kallis it could have so easily been 3-1.

Ponting and co are genuinely scared. Even McGrath has talked of his surprise and "Harmy being a class bowler".

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
EnglishRose said:
Look at the recent performances of the England A and under-19 teams. These players , if you believe some forum members like Pickup and Marc, come from supposedly the "second best domestic setup" in the world.
Hell even Rod Marsh admitted he hasn't seen much outstanding talent in his tenure.
OK, so which two domestic setups are stronger?