• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
World Cup bids delivered.

Of the non-European candidates (I guess Europe will get one of the two), Australia seem the best candidate. Japan and Korea surely won't get it again for a good 40 years, Qatar has 55 degree heat, Indonesia lacks the infrastructure, Mexico have had it twice and the US care even less about soccer than the Aussies and had it in 94 anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Time zone the killer for Oz IMHO. Dire for the big Yurp market. They did bang up jobs with the Olympics and the union WC in 2003 tho, so you never know.

Still think it's ours to lose.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Time zone the killer for Oz IMHO. Dire for the big Yurp market. They did bang up jobs with the Olympics and the union WC in 2003 tho, so you never know.

They're awarding two bids simultaneously, so really, England are competing with other European nations (presumably for 2018, but you never know) for the one spot. Now, two of them are duplicate bids, which FIFA apparently frown upon, and the final is Russia, who do have money (for the time being, financial crisis and all) but very little else. I'd imagine the FA would take it if they got turned back for 2018 but awarded the 2022 Cup, no?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

We're only an hour or 2 different to Japan and South Korea so I'd imagine it wouldn't play a massive part...unless, of course, that was considered to be a disaster...then we might have a problem:happy:

I'm not quite sure why we're bidding for it this early really...I don't think we've got a hope in hell really and it's a lot to spend on a losing bid.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
We're only an hour or 2 different to Japan and South Korea so I'd imagine it wouldn't play a massive part...unless, of course, that was considered to be a disaster...then we might have a problem:happy:

I'm not quite sure why we're bidding for it this early really...I don't think we've got a hope in hell really and it's a lot to spend on a losing bid.
Pretty sure for non-footballing powers to have to bid for before you get. Basically by bidding for 2018, your bidding for 2022 at the same time.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty sure for non-footballing powers to have to bid for before you get. Basically by bidding for 2018, your bidding for 2022 at the same time.
Ahhh, ok...I still think it's a waste of money...but it would be good if it came through at some stage I suppose. At least we'd definitely be in! :happy:

ripper868

International Coach
so...Aus, Japan, Saudi Arabia, China/Iran/South Korea...missed any of the others who are likely to get in...I'm guessing heaps.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Iraq a good bet,. but the Middle East sides like Qatar, Bahrain and UAE are always an outside bet with the improving quality of their local league and their imports. The Ubeks are due to qualify, but struggle too much away from home. North Korea are as much chance as China these days as well. With some of their better players playing overseas again.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't honestly seeing Australia getting 2018, though 2022 is a real shot. The problem with 2018 is that 2010 is South Africa and 2014 is Brazil - I can't for the life of me imagine FIFA awarding three consecutive World Cups away from Europe. Australia have even been told as much, with FIFA telling us in so uncertain terms that we are a much better chance of winning 2022 than 2018.

ripper868

International Coach
Kewell gone for the match vs Japan

Galekovic rushed in to sit on the bench behind Schwarzer for the injured back up keeper (cant rememebr his name atm)