• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith vs Kirsten

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
At the moment Gary Kirsten, but boy people on this board have a real tendency to overrate Kirsten's technique, and him as a batsman to an extent. He was very gritty, and mentally tough, but he was far from superior and as already pointed out, he did have a technical weakness which he eventually fixed. However for much of his career he chopped on to the stumps fairly often.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Usually it depends on what type of nick he's in - if he's in poor touch, as in the recent series against us, he misses it quite a bit and looks wholly ordinary.
So he was in poor touch for the last 3 Tests of a series after scoring 2 massive scores as well then?

Convenient that, got nothing to do with England having him worked out is it...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Smith for me..

More dominant than Kirsten at the crease, averaging more (and he's played quite a few tests now)

I rate Hoggard as a good swing bowler, I don't have a problem with his dominance over Smith this winter... And now the good runs are flowing again..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
they cannot be compared....yet....smith is more talented but kirsten was one of the grittiest and one of the mentally toughest players of his era....if i had to choose between them today, i would pick kirsten...

Piper

International Captain
They are both outstanding batsmen, but i would say Kirsten coz u could always count on him to stay in and get the runs u need. Im not saying that Smith cant do that, coz we all know he can... but Smith is relatively inexperienced compared to Kirsten, i can see Smith turning into that kind of player... but hes not there yet....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
kirsten had a very very ordinary technique for an opener
Gary Kirsten's defensive technique allowed him to thrive in conditions that Smith simply cannot.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
More dominant than Kirsten at the crease, averaging more (and he's played quite a few tests now)
How can average be a factor in it? Smith has played 67 less Tests. He's done well to keep an average of 53podd for 38 Tests, but to do so for 101 is an entirely different proposition.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How can average be a factor in it? Smith has played 67 less Tests. He's done well to keep an average of 53podd for 38 Tests, but to do so for 101 is an entirely different proposition.
Well then, Smith has done it as a 21,22,23 year old, as well as captaining at the start of his career.. Impressive?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Well then, Smith has done it as a 21,22,23 year old, as well as captaining at the start of his career.. Impressive?
The captaincy cannot factor into it when comparing Kirsten and Smith either. Had Kirsten been granted the captaincy at that stage, he may have done as well if not better. Simply put, you can't compare the two players and factor in anything until Smith has played 101 Tests.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Simply put, you can't compare the two players and factor in anything until Smith has played 101 Tests.
I do believe they can be compared which is why I made the thread.

Its interesting to note that you feel they cannot be compared and yet conclusively state that according to you Kirsten>Smith.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Gary Kirsten's defensive technique allowed him to thrive in conditions that Smith simply cannot.
did you read any of my last post? seriously how in the world can someone who played away from his body for a very large part of his career and had a weakness against the short ball have a great defensive technique?
if you ask me, 9 out of 10 openers with kirsten's technique would have failed miserably in their test careers. the fact that kirsten succeeded was testiment to his character and mental toughness.
even graeme smith, while he has a weakness against the in swinger, even he has a more solid defense than kirsten. whether he can work around his weakness like kirsten did though, is yet to be proven.

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Its interesting to note that you feel they cannot be compared and yet conclusively state that according to you Kirsten>Smith.
Because Smith has a major technical glitch which he hasn't been able to solve so far?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's interesting how just about everybody is going for Kirsten, but Pratyush will continue to argue his corner, like a lone beacon.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
It's interesting how just about everybody is going for Kirsten, but Pratyush will continue to argue his corner, like a lone beacon.
Langeveldt also believes the same and just because more people believe some thing else, it may not necessarily be true.

Try staying on topic rather than making below the belt remarks.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sudeep said:
Because Smith has a major technical glitch which he hasn't been able to solve so far?
Read the post on the West Indies vs South Africa thread I wrote about Sampras and Warne, greats facing problems. Smith is just a good player and can face problems as well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
So what? Who cares? He's entitled to his opinion, there's no reason for him to change it just because others believe the opposite.

Rack up another ridiculous post to your name.