• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith and Ponting choose Flintoff

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
Australia would take flintoff and dravid...

unless the Australia selectors actually decided it was ok to select victorians who weren't Shane Warne. In THAT case, we'd have just have Hodge back in the team please. (Yes I know Victoria is part of Australia, but please tell the selectors that)
Cannot beleive Hodge did not make the squad. What else can the man do?
Looking at why guys have traditionally not been picked when they maybe should have the main reason is that they have a reputation of being a problem in the dressing room.

I don't know anything about Hodge's personality so its not an accusation. I was wandering if there are any rumours?

If this is not the reason, what is your opinion for the whys and wherefores of his non-selection.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
Looking at why guys have traditionally not been picked when they maybe should have the main reason is that they have a reputation of being a problem in the dressing room.

I don't know anything about Hodge's personality so its not an accusation. I was wandering if there are any rumours?

If this is not the reason, what is your opinion for the whys and wherefores of his non-selection.
I'm not aware of any rumours re: dressing room issues. I've read one thing by Ponting about how Hodge is a 'different character', in terms of being a bit of an introvert and sometimes a loner - however, he added that he found him to be a good teamman - in particular on the tours where he was in the squad/12th man, but didn't get a game.

I think it is politics to a degree, but also maybe unfairly age. Clarke is a lot younger than Hodge and I'm glad he's back in the squad. He has many vocal and influential champions. Ponting is a big Martyn champion, and Martyn always LOOKS so good that its always possible to argue that he appears to be in wonderful touch but just keeps getting out. Hodge has champions, but I think many of them are people who the selectors and ACB aren't enamoured with. Suffice to say, if he played for NSW or Queensland, he would have played a lot more test cricket. (But that could be my victorian-ness speaking)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
England could never take Warne without taking a keeper as well.

With Jones behind the stumps and Warne turning it out of the rough, byes would top score every game. It would end with Warne pulling out his newly engineered hair.
Jones has actually generally had his biggest lapses while standing back.
When standing-up consistently in Pakistan Jones had easily his best period as a Test wicketkeeper.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Jones has actually generally had his biggest lapses while standing back.
When standing-up consistently in Pakistan Jones had easily his best period as a Test wicketkeeper.
Surely you jest. His keeping to Giles in the Ashes was horrific. In Pakistan it wasn't great (even if it was improved) and even if you think it was ok it was not as if he is keeping to guys who rip it square.

He has never had a Warne bowl to him and I for one beleive it would be messy.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
Cannot beleive Hodge did not make the squad. What else can the man do?

I feel for Cheaty, especially when you think that he hit a double three months ago.

Dead man's shoes are dead man's shoes though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Goughy said:
Surely you jest. His keeping to Giles in the Ashes was horrific. In Pakistan it wasn't great (even if it was improved) and even if you think it was ok it was not as if he is keeping to guys who rip it square.
Too be fair, he barely made an error in Pakistan.

Ming

State 12th Man
If it was New Zealand, it would have to be Pollock and Ponting. Two of the most reliable players you can have.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:

He has never had a Warne bowl to him and I for one beleive it would be messy.
That's as maybe. Fact is, English wicketkeepers only rarely need to keep to the ball being ripped square. Certainly didn't in Pakistan, no fingerspinner was ever going to rip it square on those pitches.
I don't see that his 'keeping to Giles in The Ashes was horrific - can recall one missed stumping (Clarke), jog my memory?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
greg said:
Has compared very favourably with Dhoni.
Hmm... Dhoni looks in the top echleon to me, has barely made an error.
Jones hasn't done much wrong (people criticising him for that Kumble drop don't really know what they're on - only a Healy\RCR type would've got that), but I don't think he's looked as good as Dhoni.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I don't see that his 'keeping to Giles in The Ashes was horrific - can recall one missed stumping (Clarke), jog my memory?
He also missed two to Warne in the same innings, I believe.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Hmm... Dhoni looks in the top echleon to me, has barely made an error.
Jones hasn't done much wrong (people criticising him for that Kumble drop don't really know what they're on - only a Healy\RCR type would've got that), but I don't think he's looked as good as Dhoni.
Dhoni's been pretty average keeping-wise, actually and hasn't done an awful lot with the bat either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty average?
I can barely recall a single mistake he's made all series - his 'keeping has been superb.
His batting hasn't done much, but I wasn't talking about his batting.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Pretty average?
I can barely recall a single mistake he's made all series - his 'keeping has been superb.
His batting hasn't done much, but I wasn't talking about his batting.
He shelled a chance today & in the first test he was pretty rank. He conceded about 30 byes. Rather more than "not a single mistake".

He's very much a wicketkeeper/batsman. I'd rate his keeping as no better than Jones.

EDIT: & now I think about it Dhoni dropped Strauss twice yesterday too, he'd passed his century by then, but even so...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He did? I didn't watch much more than a few overs today, and the drops I saw featured were all from outfielders.
I certainly don't find his 'keeping was "pretty rank" at Nagpur at all.
All wicketkeepers these days are wicketkeeper-batsmen. Or batsmen-wicketkeepers as the case may be.
FTR - Dhoni conceded 19 byes in The First Test and you only need to watch most of the Jones-byes in the same game to realise that byes-conceded are not a good record of wicketkeeping ability.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One tricky missed stumping doesn't devalue a series' work.
He took one stunner earlier, remember?