• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Katich getting a raw deal with the aus selectors?

Scallywag

Banned
tooextracool said:
because hayden is 1 year younger than bevan and is still playing ODI cricket for australia while bevan isnt, despite the fact that hayden averages about 20 runs less than bevan when you exclude performances against namibia, kenya and b'desh.

You may not have noticed but Hayden is an opener and there has not been any young opening batsmen putting their hand up for the position for the 2007 world cup. On the other hand there is several young players putting pressure on for a position in the middle order for the world cup.

If you have a good look at Bevans career he only averaged 27 in his last 12 games and he was on the decline. I still rate Bevan as a great player but all good things come to an end and Haydens career could be coming to an end also, but due to the fact there has not been any outstanding openers he could get the chance to play on for a while.

The selectors have got it right in making sure Australia dont have 4-5 players retire at the same time with inexperienced players left to fill the gaps. You will see the benifits of the selectors policies when there is a smooth transition when McGrath retires and Lee steps up, Martyn and Lehman retires and Clarke, Katich step up.

If you think Australia will be a spent force in a couple of years then I think you are going to be dismayed at how well they cope with the change over of the old guard.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
You may not have noticed but Hayden is an opener and there has not been any young opening batsmen putting their hand up for the position for the 2007 world cup. On the other hand there is several young players putting pressure on for a position in the middle order for the world cup.
in case you havent noticed, theres a player named MJ clarke whos scoring at the top of the order. as i am equally sure that martyn would be more than capable of opening the batting.

Scallywag said:
If you have a good look at Bevans career he only averaged 27 in his last 12 games and he was on the decline. I still rate Bevan as a great player but all good things come to an end and Haydens career could be coming to an end also, but due to the fact there has not been any outstanding openers he could get the chance to play on for a while.
hayden's been averaging 23 in his last 10 ODIs, so hes not on the decline. especially considering that hes been poor anyways when hes not played against kenya, b'desh etc.

Scallywag said:
when McGrath retires and Lee steps up,
what a great day thats going to be for australian cricket, when a rubbish bowler leads their attack again in tests.

Scallywag said:
If you think Australia will be a spent force in a couple of years then I think you are going to be dismayed at how well they cope with the change over of the old guard.
no i still think they might be a fairly good side, but their bowling attack which will in all likelyhood be without mcgrath, kaspa and warne and will include lee, bracken etc doesnt sound like too bright a future.

Scallywag

Banned
tooextracool said:
in case you havent noticed, theres a player named MJ clarke whos scoring at the top of the order. as i am equally sure that martyn would be more than capable of opening the batting..
Clarke is being blooded and he will go through a bad patch aswell, but due to the consistancy of the selectors will be given every chance to come through it a better player.

moving Martyn to open would only weaken the middle order and be of no overall banifit to the team.

tooextracool said:
hayden's been averaging 23 in his last 10 ODIs, so hes not on the decline. especially considering that hes been poor anyways when hes not played against kenya, b'desh etc..
And if he cant find some form by the end of this VB series he may just lose his spot due to the selectors consistantly reviewing the team after each series.

tooextracool said:
what a great day thats going to be for australian cricket, when a rubbish bowler leads their attack again in tests..
He may not be the best test bowler in Australia at the moment but a lot of people will have to eat their words in the future. Wouldent India love to have Lee in their bowling line up right now. As I write this Lee takes Butts wicket.

tooextracool said:
no i still think they might be a fairly good side, but their bowling attack which will in all likelyhood be without mcgrath, kaspa and warne and will include lee, bracken etc doesnt sound like too bright a future.
You forgot Tait and they will all have a bit more experience and be better players for it. So I think the future is very bright.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
In tests Katich has definetaly got a raw deal. He should've got the gig in front of Lehmann, but didn't while there have been times in the past where he has been hard done by. He has enormous talent - if he had've been born in any other cricketing nation he would've played 40-50 tests or more by now.

In the ODI's he didn't do much in domestic one day cricket for a while, but he has made the most of his chances. I don't think he has quite performed for a long enough period to be given preference in the strongest XI over other guys like Lehmann or Symonds...... But he's not doing anything wrong at all.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Clarke is being blooded and he will go through a bad patch aswell, but due to the consistancy of the selectors will be given every chance to come through it a better player..
so there were no problems when clarke replaced bevan(even though he was relatively unproven at the time), yet now there is a problem with him replacing hayden(who has never done anything of significance in ODIs) ?

Scallywag said:
moving Martyn to open would only weaken the middle order and be of no overall banifit to the team.
no it wouldnt, moving martyn to the top, would allow katich to come into the middle order, and as far as im concerned, theres no evidence that katich is weak in any form or way.

Scallywag said:
And if he cant find some form by the end of this VB series he may just lose his spot due to the selectors consistantly reviewing the team after each series..
we shall see. since hes 'matt hayden' i doubt he'll be dropped, just like the selectors can never ever drop brett lee from the test squad.

Scallywag said:
He may not be the best test bowler in Australia at the moment but a lot of people will have to eat their words in the future. Wouldent India love to have Lee in their bowling line up right now. As I write this Lee takes Butts wicket.
as i write,, lee has gone for 63 runs off 9 overs 8-)
and of course india would love to have lee in their bowling lineup, because their bowling line up is rubbish, whats your point? AFAIC lee is simply the luckiest player to play the game, simply because however rubbish he bowls he still gets selected.

Scallywag said:
You forgot Tait and they will all have a bit more experience and be better players for it. So I think the future is very bright.
i dont know much about tait, so i wont comment on that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
yes i mean when one day you hear that bevan has been dropped irrespective of the fact that hes been the best ODI player ever
Correction, one of the best ever.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
So why not promote Clarke and give another middle order guy a chance?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
You will see the benifits of the selectors policies when there is a smooth transition when McGrath retires and Lee steps up

ROFLMAO - can't wait for that!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
He may not be the best test bowler in Australia at the moment but a lot of people will have to eat their words in the future.
Based on his oh-so-great record post-injury.

Scallywag said:
As I write this Lee takes Butts wicket.
Relevance to Tests?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
for you,yes
for me no, im fairly certain that bevan is the best ODI player ever, no one even averages above 50.
Considering the time in which he played, I present Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards as an alternative.

tooextracool

International Coach
in the time in which viv played it, it could be argued that he had more time to score his runs, because RR's were significantly less at the time. how do you explain that 3 off the top 5 all time ODI averages are by players from the 80s?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If he had more time to score, how come he had a S/R of over 90?

At a time when run rates were lower.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It certainly wasn't as easy as it is now.

Less flat wickets, less fielding restrictions, less stringent wide criteria, more bouncers, better bowlers overall.

tooextracool

International Coach
so why exactly are there so many players who average over 40 in ODIs who played most of their career in the 80s?
abbas, richards, turner, greenidge, jones, haynes, miandad, lloyd, broad, marsh, chappell all have averages off over 40.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
so why exactly are there so many players who average over 40 in ODIs who played most of their career in the 80s?
abbas, richards, turner, greenidge, jones, haynes, miandad, lloyd, broad, marsh, chappell all have averages off over 40.
Could it possibly be because they're good batsmen?

tooextracool

International Coach
and if pitches have gotten flatter and ODIs have become easier to score runs in then shouldnt there be a significant increase in batting averages, yet 3 out of the top 5 ODI batting averages are by players from the 80s. either that or the quality of batting has gotten worse.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Overkill of games?

Back in the 80s there weren't 20+ games a year per team.

Either way I stand by Richards as being up there and dispute that Bevan is the best of all time when Richards also played.