• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Katich getting a raw deal with the aus selectors?

tooextracool

International Coach
Linda said:
Because Symonds is a better one-day player than Katich.
And it was the West Indies, not Pakistan.
doubt it, katich is a far better player than symonds will ever be in any form of the game. of course i dont think symonds should be dropped, because id much rather get the satisfaction of watching him fail miserably before that happens simply because its the fairest thing to do.

tooextracool

International Coach
LongHopCassidy said:
It's harder to get out of the Australian team than it is to get in..
say that to kaspa and bevan. i think the saying should be, "its harder to get out of the australian team, if you are liked by the selectors(hayden, lehmann, b.lee etc) than it is to get in if you are not.

tooextracool

International Coach
dinu23 said:
Well they dropped M Waugh after that triangular ODI series because he was out of form, and he was a class player.
and I think Symonds had enough chances already!
the only reason i can fathom as to why waugh was dropped was because the team failed miserably in that series, and changes needed to be made, mark waugh was just unfortunate to have been going through a bad patch at the time in which australia played poorly, symonds is fortunate enough to be having a bad patch while australia is still playing well.

cricket player

International Debutant
For a guy who is compared to top level cricketers lets say salman butt wont get the chance to play for australia while if he was an indian or a pakistani he would have been selected immidetly.So what is that say.You have to be talented to the limit to get in the australian team.This can ruin a youngsters dream playing for australia.The majority of youngster want to be playing for australia is over the limit and out of 1000 of those only 100 or so can make it to the team.

Australian cricket is getting out fo hand.Soon cricket would be treated like how it is treated in usa in australia and i am sure no one wants to see that happening.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cricket player said:
For a guy who is compared to top level cricketers lets say salman butt wont get the chance to play for australia while if he was an indian or a pakistani he would have been selected immidetly.
I doubt Salman would walk into the Indian team. Consider the sob story of Sriram for reasoning as to why. Salman doesn't even average 40 in FC cricket.

cricket player said:
So what is that say.You have to be talented to the limit to get in the australian team.This can ruin a youngsters dream playing for australia.The majority of youngster want to be playing for australia is over the limit and out of 1000 of those only 100 or so can make it to the team.
I doubt it's 1 in every 10 Aussie cricketer who will play for the senior side. I'm sure the stat is far off from that.

cricket player said:
Australian cricket is getting out fo hand.Soon cricket would be treated like how it is treated in usa in australia and i am sure no one wants to see that happening.
So Australia should try to be less top class?
:huh:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hmm katich has been unlucky not to play more games, if hayden and symonds dont find form soon he will no doubt find himself in the side on a more regular basis.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
why should symonds be dropped? he made more than hayden, ponting, clarke, lehmann combined in the last game.

Symonds is far superior in every aspect of the game to Katich.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Crazy Sam said:
why should symonds be dropped? he made more than hayden, ponting, clarke, lehmann combined in the last game.
Oh yes. One whole game. 8-) Don't mind he may have been caught by Lara on 1 and Katich scored more than twice as many.

Crazy Sam said:
Symonds is far superior in every aspect of the game to Katich.
Except for those pesky stats ey? 8-)

Symonds Test avge: 13.25
Katich: 41.10
Irrelevant.

Symonds OD avge: 35.42
Katich: 39.50

Symonds FC: 42.47
Katich: 50.60

Symonds OD: 31.21
Katich: 40.37

Yes... 8-)

dinu23

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
the only reason i can fathom as to why waugh was dropped was because the team failed miserably in that series, and changes needed to be made, mark waugh was just unfortunate to have been going through a bad patch at the time in which australia played poorly, symonds is fortunate enough to be having a bad patch while australia is still playing well.
good point. I didn't think that way. But still I think Katich can offer lot more to the team than Symonds at the present time.

dinu23

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Oh yes. One whole game. 8-) Don't mind he may have been caught by Lara on 1 and Katich scored more than twice as many.

Except for those pesky stats ey? 8-)

Symonds Test avge: 13.25
Katich: 41.10
Irrelevant.

Symonds OD avge: 35.42
Katich: 39.50

Symonds FC: 42.47
Katich: 50.60

Symonds OD: 31.21
Katich: 40.37

Yes... 8-)
:D :D :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The Australian selectors back a player they believe in. If they do not believe the player has a future, they will drop him. Justified or pure biased attitude?

With the track record of winning world cup 99 after removing Taylor, 2003 after removing Waugh, you can only show faith in them.

They are giving a fair chance to Katich as well right now I imagine and Katich is wrong to be almost fatalistic about his one day future. Lehmann got into the faith books of Aussie selectors much after a long period of a dominant FC career. So as a player, Katich shouldnt just think he will get dropped after a good inning. The fact that he has been brought back into the one day team meant the Aussie selectors thought he might have a future with the one day team.

And dont cry over why Symonds has been given os many chances when he is struggling. He was a bold selection in 2003 by the selectors and proved them right.

I dont think the selectors are right always as in the case of Bevan. But they must have felt he wouldnt be good enough in 2007.

tooextracool

International Coach
dinu23 said:
good point. I didn't think that way. But still I think Katich can offer lot more to the team than Symonds at the present time.
oh i do too, but if i were a selector i would be fair to symonds and give him more time. what i do not understand is how fickle minded some of these australian fans/selectors are, one day they talk about how difficult it is to get dropped from the aussie side by saying things like " its harder to get in than it is to get out" and the next day they drop(well pretty much) steve waugh, healy etc, whoever the wise guy was that said mcgrath was past his prime, and bevan being dropped. i mean show some consistency here.

Scallywag

Banned
tooextracool said:
oh i do too, but if i were a selector i would be fair to symonds and give him more time. what i do not understand is how fickle minded some of these australian fans/selectors are, one day they talk about how difficult it is to get dropped from the aussie side by saying things like " its harder to get in than it is to get out" and the next day they drop(well pretty much) steve waugh, healy etc, whoever the wise guy was that said mcgrath was past his prime, and bevan being dropped. i mean show some consistency here.
Oh yeah the Aussie selectors and supporters are fickle.

:D :D

tooextracool

International Coach
yes i mean when one day you hear that bevan has been dropped irrespective of the fact that hes been the best ODI player ever, and the next day who here that someone like symonds has been retained on the basis of 'its harder to get out than it is to get in' really, i do wonder how consistent these aussies are with their selection policies.

Scallywag

Banned
tooextracool said:
brilliantly explained yet again.
Well you did explain it yourself, the selectors will drop players when they are at the end of their career, eg: waugh, Bevan, Healy and they will allways give a new player a decent run, eg: Clarke, Katich, Symonds.

How do you come to the conclusion that they are inconsistent.

tooextracool

International Coach
because hayden is 1 year younger than bevan and is still playing ODI cricket for australia while bevan isnt, despite the fact that hayden averages about 20 runs less than bevan when you exclude performances against namibia, kenya and b'desh.