• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should we be patient with Michael Beer?

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd rather they stuck with Beer for at least another series. I don't see how they have much to lose as we don't have great spin bowlers that are being kept out. SOK seems to be out on a limb for some reason.

Problem for me with Krejza is that I don't see how we can have him and Johnson in the same team. Every time I've watched Krejza he bowls too short. It's quite maddening to see half-trackers three balls an over. If Johnson has a bad day as well, we might as well wave the white flag. The team has too many dodgy temperaments without adding another. We don't know yet if Beer can cut it in terms of keeping his head so why not learn?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Krezja did get wickets India but went for a hell of a lot runs too.

12/358 were his match figures at a economy rate of near 5.

Don't think overall those wickets were of that much use.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Krejza was the only bowler who kept Australia in that game.

The bowling figures for the rest of the attack read 7/378.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Krejza was the only bowler who kept Australia in that game.

The bowling figures for the rest of the attack read 7/378.
The whole attack was poor in that match.

And the pitch was helping the spinners more than the pacers.
Hence why Australia played both white and him.

Indian spinners in comparison took 12/274 at a economy rate of less than even 2.8 on average compared to 4.6 and 4.9 for Krezja.

He was then on the expensive side in SA too and did not take any wickets.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The whole attack was poor in that match.

And the pitch was helping the spinners more than the pacers.
Hence why Australia played both white and him.

Indian spinners in comparison took 12/274 at a economy rate of less than even 2.8 on average compared to 4.6 and 4.9 for Krezja.

He was then on the expensive side in SA too and did not take any wickets.
That Indian spinners fared better bowling to Australian batsmen in India than Australian spinners bowling to Indian batsmen in India is truly a revelation.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
That Indian spinners fared better bowling to Australian batsmen in India than Australian spinners bowling to Indian batsmen in India is truly a revelation.
You really are a master of taking out unintended meanings out of a post and then making sort of sarcastic one liners based on it.:laugh:
Keep doing it time and again and then vanishing.

I posted those statistics to show it was a spinning track and hence he did better than Australia's other bowlers not because he was great or even better than Hauritz.

Besides if you watched the game you would know he never really troubled the Indian batsman as such or even restricted the run flow or looked anything special.
Most of the wickets he got were due to batsman almost becoming overconfident and almost gifting him the wicket with a rash shot.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Personally i would prefer if you played Krezja against India again ,instead of Hauritz by a margin from what i have seen of both.

12 wickets for 350 runs in a match or not.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Probably that last line was a bit over the top. What i meant to say was in the context of the match in which spinners were on top those were too expensive at about .

But i sincerely think he was lucky to be only playing 1 test match in that series and too on a spinning track where the spinners took the majority of the wickets.
And his co-spinner was Cameron white ,so no wonder he got so many wickets.

His bowling was not great in that match ,and he was really lucky in that first innings that he got 8 wickets. Reckon most of those wickets were giveaways be Indian batsman specially the lower order ones.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didnt watch the match but I heard he was lucky with most of his wickets. How true this is I dont know but what I do recall is him getting completely dominated against an Indian Board XI or something at the start of the tour.

Top_Cat

He got smashed, yes, some of the wickets were to ambitious shots, yes, but to put it down to luck is stretching credulity. You simply don't take 12 wickets in a Test match unless in with the **** there was some good bowling. If you're not good enough, you just won't take wickets and will still get smashed. Ask Bryce McGain or the slew of Aussie spinners over the years who've been smashed on similarly spinning decks by lesser Indian batters than those Krejza faced.

Spikey

the way i see it is he got smashed in the tour match, got smashed in the test but got wickets & got smashed in the SA test and has basically been smashed all through his FC career and doesn't have a good enough strike rate to cancel out the smashing. he's not an option for me. yeah yeah yeah he took 12 but Massie took 16.....his debut match in terms of wickets is clearly an outlier in terms of his entire career.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Was good at the WC, though.

EDIT: Just like to point out I'm not outing myself as a Krejza fan.

Top_Cat

For some reason I read that as "I'm pretty sure I just cracked a massive fart."

tooextracool

International Coach
Think there is an obsession with finding the 'next Warne' in Australia. The thing with Warne is that he was rather a one off, both with the way he was discovered and in the way in which he achieved international success before FC success. I am a firm believer that a precocious talent will eventually rise to the top irrespective of the level at which they are currently playing, hence this obsession with tossing players into the ocean before they are ready to swim doesnt make sense to me.

Take Steve Smith. There is absolutely no way the lad is anywhere good enough as a batter or bowler to be playing test cricket. Yet here he is with 5 tests under his belt before the age of 22 and a cricinfo profile that starts with the line 'Steven Smith is the most promising Australian spinner since Shane Warne'. Do I think Steve Smith has potential? Absolutely, in fact I would argue he has more potential than any other spin bowler I have seen from Australia. Does that mean he should be playing test cricket? Absolutely not, hes a liability at the moment.

The management in Australia need to decide whats best for Australia right now. If you ask me, the best available spinner in Australia if they were to play a test match tomorrow is Nathan Hauritz. I would stick with him and have Steve Smith tour with the A side and follow his progress in FC cricket. Beer and everyone else dont deserve a thread.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Think there is an obsession with finding the 'next Warne' in Australia. The thing with Warne is that he was rather a one off, both with the way he was discovered and in the way in which he achieved international success before FC success. I am a firm believer that a precocious talent will eventually rise to the top irrespective of the level at which they are currently playing, hence this obsession with tossing players into the ocean before they are ready to swim doesnt make sense to me.

Take Steve Smith. There is absolutely no way the lad is anywhere good enough as a batter or bowler to be playing test cricket. Yet here he is with 5 tests under his belt before the age of 22 and a cricinfo profile that starts with the line 'Steven Smith is the most promising Australian spinner since Shane Warne'. Do I think Steve Smith has potential? Absolutely, in fact I would argue he has more potential than any other spin bowler I have seen from Australia. Does that mean he should be playing test cricket? Absolutely not, hes a liability at the moment.

The management in Australia need to decide whats best for Australia right now. If you ask me, the best available spinner in Australia if they were to play a test match tomorrow is Nathan Hauritz. I would stick with him and have Steve Smith tour with the A side and follow his progress in FC cricket. Beer and everyone else dont deserve a thread.
Agreed with this.